Cat. ??

lugnut

In the last 30,000 my wife car (2000 Pontiac Sun fire 2.2L) has gone through 4 converters. The factory cat went south about 85,000 and we had it replaced. The replacement went at 103,000 the shop covered it and I replaced both O2 sensors , plugs and wires. Now at 110,000 the cat is bad again. Muffler shop says they wont cover another one because there is a problem with the car. The car runs good doesn't smoke or burn oil. Its not hard on gas and doesn't skip.Its serviced every 5,000 miles air cleaner checked or changed. The only code it has every given is the 420 for the cat. I would think a problem would be pretty bad to kill a converter in 7,000. It seams to me with a problem that bad you would drivabilty issues of some sort and it doesn't. Anybody got any ideas ?
Thanks
Allen

Raw fuel will kill a cat (either kind:lol: ) Maybe your FI is not working properly.

I second that.

Also make sure they installed the correct cat and not a hack and weld universal job. IIRC your car requires an OBDII specific direct fit cat to funtion properly. There are many different styles of cats out there that function very differently. If you have your original invoice post up their part number and I'll tell you if it's correct for your application.

You most likely have a vehicle that is running a tad bit on the rich side, when was the last time the plugs and wires were changed and did you use a DBL platinum AC Delco plug?

have you been loosing coolant ? even a small amount ?

antifreeze will kill a cat as quick if not quicker than fuel.

2.2L 4cyl is known for puking headgaskets, sometimes ever so slowly.

something to consider.

have you been loosing coolant ? even a small amount ?

antifreeze will kill a cat as quick if not quicker than fuel.

2.2L 4cyl is known for puking headgaskets, sometimes ever so slowly.

something to consider.

X2, also engine oil

If I was getting enough raw fuel to kill the cat in 7,000 miles wouldnt it kick out another code and get poor fuel milage. I checked milage on the last tank and it had gotten 32 MPG.

greg slade The first 2 were part # 75014 the one they just put on was 2505R. They were all International Muffler Co. brand. I changed the plugs + wires right after the first cat was put on so its been about 25,000 and I used the AC Delco plugs+ wires. The o2 sensors were changed by me when the #2cat went bad. They were Bosh.

Blkvoodoo I have not had to add an coolant at all. I have not preasure checked it but I havent had to add any coolant. Maybe I'll put the tester on it this weekend just for the heck of it.

00bowtie I have never had to add any oil betwen changes.

If I was getting enough raw fuel to kill the cat in 7,000 miles wouldnt it kick out another code and get poor fuel milage. I checked milage on the last tank and it had gotten 32 MPG.

Not nessisarilly, depends on the cause of the rich mixture.
a small vacuum leak ( intake gasket ) will cause a lean condition that the O2 sensor with pick up and adjust the mix according (rich) this could be just enough to burn out the cat. it may not set a code until it's too late.

Do you have means to check engine data while it is running /driving ?

Check coolant temp, (190*-210*) if thermostat is hung open, it will not warm up properly and stay in open loop, causing a rich condition. again, something PCM will not detect as abnormal. ( newer vehicles after 2002 detect this and will throw a code for low coolant temp, just for this reason), DO NOT trust the dash gauge for this, they are refferance at best, not accurate at all.
greg slade The first 2 were part # 75014 the one they just put on was 2505R. They were all International Muffler Co. brand. I changed the plugs + wires right after the first cat was put on so its been about 25,000 and I used the AC Delco plugs+ wires. The o2 sensors were changed by me when the #2cat went bad. They were Bosh.

Slade is your man on Cats, can't help ya here.

Blkvoodoo I have not had to add an coolant at all. I have not preasure checked it but I havent had to add any coolant. Maybe I'll put the tester on it this weekend just for the heck of it.

it may not be loosing a noticable amount, was something to check. Antifreeze is pretty rough on a cat.

My work van (5.4L Triton, 227K ) is loosing coolant slowly, is very characteristic for 4.6 and 5.4L Fords to loose head gaskets and eat the converter around this mileage, just a waiting game now. Hope to be in a new van soon so I don't have to deal with it.

00bowtie I have never had to add any oil betwen changes.[/QUOTE]

Blkvoodoo I'll check for vacum leaks this weekend and also check coolant temp. I dont have a way to veiw engine data while running. May be somthing worth looking into. I try to do all my own work but being a forklift mech. I'm behind the curve on auto diagnostics. I only have the little pocket code reader.

Back