Carter carb issues

mbalbritton

#@$%!
So that Carb flooding issue I mentioned in the random thoughts thread. It’s still an issue after a rebuild.

Jeeps been running ok, minor adjustments here and there trying to get the carb dialed in. Then all of a sudden it starts flooding and gushing fuel from about every orifice it has.

Grab a rebuild kit and a new fuel pump while I was at it. I had replaced the fuel filter a couple of weeks ago. Find some debris in the bowl, give it a good cleaning. Blowing out all passages with carb clean. Note, I’ve never rebuilt one of these before but I’ve done the mc2100 enough times to do it blindfolded and underwater.

Anyway, get it all put back together and the same shit is happening. It has brass floats that are in great condition, new needle and seat. All looked really good except some typical play around the butterfly shaft.

Pissed off, I just ordered a new carb just to get it on the road (and the wife off my back) to be delivered first thing in the morn.

But I’m pissed and want to understand why it’s doing this. I do have a fuel return line, so too much pressure should be going back to the tank.

Any other thoughts?

Currently running a weber 36/36 on my 258 with a regulator set at I think 4psi. If your carb is bleeding out I'd say fuel pressure is too high but more likely the float is getting stuck. I cannot see any other reason for it to be poring gas. Agree with @justjeepin86 throw it away and put on a 2100 if your familiar with them.

I'll be a third to recommend the 2100. I had a 600 cfm Carter (now edelbrock) on my 69 Mustang in my Army days and I can't recommend a better carb for the street. They are crap in off camber situations. The 2 I found are the mc 2100 and a quadrajet. I never figures out how to tune the Q jet so I put the 2100 on it off of a 70s truck and it worked. Straight up Straight down, side to side, best carb ever.

Make sure the float isn't stuck open tap it gently to see if it will break free. If you need to take the top off of it be careful not to lose the little bearing. You will be fine if you don't turn the base upside down.

Back