Carpenter bees: friend or foe

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
What do yall think about carpenter bees? Are they a nuisance and kill them or are they pollinators so leave the bee (see what I did there :D)

I have traps for them. My neighbor across the road has a honey bee hive in his front yard so I figure I'm good.

I made bee/bat w a 1x4 board that I rounded the corners on end to make a bee/bat and when the stupid bees get in my face I smack them bout 30' and they dead. If see/hear them boring in holes in the deck I'll get my caulk gun and fill the holes. Never seen one bore out of the 2x4

Last edited:
Manually mash them to mush. Don't use pesticides. The same stuff they visit if you spray it kills honey bees. Baits do the same.

I have 21 bee hives now. I can loan you one if you need stuff sexually stimulated in the plant world.

Manually mash them to mush. Don't use pesticides. The same stuff they visit if you spray it kills honey bees. Baits do the same.

I have 21 bee hives now. I can loan you one if you need stuff sexually stimulated in the plant world.
I was hoping you would chime in. Glad to hear the 6 I killed today were not in vain.

Thanks for the offer of a hive but nothing needed to pollinate over here but you are always welcome to put one over here if you ever want to spread them out to a slightly different environment for a while

FYI brake cleaner with the straw works perfect to stick in their holes and kill them!
Doesn't that burn the deck down? Or does brake cleaner actually work if you don't light it on fire? I'm pretty sure you need to light it on fire.

Doesn't that burn the deck down? Or does brake cleaner actually work if you don't light it on fire? I'm pretty sure you need to light it on fire.
Brake Clean works on wasps too. Lighting it on fire just adds to the excitement, really just for show when the youngings are around.

Brake Clean works on wasps too. Lighting it on fire just adds to the excitement, really just for show when the youngings are around.
Oh yeah, paper wasp nests are especially fun. Also starting campfires. And cleaning your workbench. And scaring the shit out of someone welding.

I'm going to start Killin them now. They always kinda bugged me but never saw any adverse effects so far. There has to be a nest in the neighbors yard. I heard they do eat other insects.

Side note, my mom and dad have Mining Bees in OH, weirdest thing they have hundreds of holes as individual nests. Sting is supposed to be milder than a honey bee. Had to convince my dad not to destroy them. Lol
20240407_153133.jpg
20240407_153140.jpg

I had a hornet nest in the ground once, stepped on it while doing some yardwork and those bastards got me a few times. I went and got the big shop fan and laid it on ground blowing up and turned it on. Every time one of those bastards flew out of the nest he'd get blendered.

I spray PB blaster in the holes the bee's don't ever go back in them.
I'm going to try that today. Those thing's are driving me crazy right now. They're boring into the wood behind the trim of my soffits. I keep a tennis racket duct taped to a pole handle to swat them down. They come back to the same spots every year.

I have one problem spot on my deck that they congregate. I’ve been caulking the holes. Might try the lubricant route as well

Back