ATV after sitting for 19 years

89wrangler

Not a new member
So, when we moved here back in 2003, I told the kids since we did not have a pool, I would buy a couple ATV’s to ride around the property. Being on a budget, I ended up buying a Polaris 500, a E-ton 150 and a E-ton 90. The kids were 13, 12, 10, 9. Let me say the 90 was a bad ass machine As it was a 2 stroke and fast. Thank goodness for the adjustable throttle stop. The 150 was nothing to brag about, but good for young riders with being Auto with forward and reverse. Also had a throttle stop depending on rider level experience.

Fast forward a couple years and they tell me the 150 would not go in forward. I check and nope, but there was a grinding noise in the transmission. Doing some research, this was common issue with the 150 And should have been a recall issue, but did not pan out. I pushed in the back corner of the shop. This left them with the 500 and the 90 and they would argue who got ride the 90 lol.

Now oldest gets license, all are in cheerleading, priorities change and riding is basically nil. Ended up trading the 500 for a nice XJ for daughter and sold 90 to my nephew for his kids and they rode the crap out of it til they out grew it.

This brings us to 2024, 19 years after the 150 was parked and sat in the same spot, covered with so much junk that most folks never knew there was an ATV sitting there. Now I have grandkids and figured I need to unload some junk and may as well see it I can fix the 150 for them. After I dug it out, I could not believe I put it away covered in mud, what was I thinking. Aired up tires and pushed it over to another bay in the shop to work on it. The kids were over for Sunday dinner and saw it. They thought it was long gone as well, figured I had sold it.

As for the gears, they made two styles and of course I had the old one. You have to buy all three pieces to upgrade, the shift assembly, drive and counter shaft. I found an update on the web.
IMG_1811.jpeg

I could only find two of the three gears on the inter webs. Need to call a couple of places to see if they can help. But before I went much further, I wanted to see if it would run. Gas tank of course was nasty and knew that it needed cleaned out so I remove the air-filter box and found this which was not a surprise
IMG_1800.jpeg

they were living there and clutch box, which was full of nesting material as well. Shot a little starting fluid in the carb and it fired right up. Hell yea, time to keep moving forward. On the lift for some disassembly.
IMG_1803.jpeg

IMG_1799.jpeg

IMG_1808.jpeg

IMG_1809.jpeg

Removed the gear assembly figuring there would be gear parts, but nothing? Everything was in good shape.
IMG_1815.jpeg

I found that on the shift cluster, the outside gear is held in place by a pressed on sleeve. It had back off just enough to let the gear bind and not engage. A socket and hammer put it back in place and shifts like it should. At this point I was shaking my head for not looking into this years ago.
IMG_1816.jpeg

I cleaned it all up and reassembled everything and added gear oil back to the case. Manually shifted and all worked fine. I cleaned out the gas tank, replaced all of the dry-rotted fuel lines, and hooked up a battery. Hit the start button, it started, but would not stay running and was dumping fuel out of the carb overflow line. Figured float was stuck. So off came the carb which has auto electric choke.
IMG_1818.jpeg

IMG_1820.jpeg

cleaned it out, blew it out, back on it went. Gas stopped coming out of the over flow, but will not idle at all. I hate carbs anyway, so went looking for a new one. WTF, brand new one $35 shipped. Hell yea, even came with new fuel lines and fuel filter. crazy cheap.
IMG_1827.jpeg

IMG_1828.jpeg

This brings this to today. Getting ready to installed carb and new battery to see if after 19 years of sitting, I can bring it back to life. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
I found that on the shift cluster, the outside gear is held in place by a pressed on sleeve. It had back off just enough to let the gear bind and not engage. A socket and hammer put it back in place and shifts like it should. At this point I was shaking my head for not looking into this years ago.
It’s never that easy unless you put it off for waaaay too long.

Put the new carb in and fire right up an idled beautifully. Greased all the fitting, welded broken bracket on back rack, assembled plastics and foot rest parts, air up tires and took it for a couple of laps around the yard. Hard to believe it runs that good after all these years. Gonna give it a good bath tomorrow.
IMG_1858.jpeg

IMG_1860.jpeg

Oil changed today and all cleaned up. Ready to see how long it last with the grandkids.., lol
IMG_1863.jpeg

IMG_1874.jpeg

IMG_1871.jpeg

IMG_1873.jpeg

Nice, I just got my 01 Honda recon running again with a $20 carb from amazon. I cleaned the original 3 times and could not get it right. Gonna order a rebuild kit for it and put it in a ultrasonic cleaner just in case I need it. But the carb I ordered was perfect. Needed very minor idle adjustment.

Back