Anybody else for some Potato Soup?

I came home today and the house smelled like chicken soup, walked to the kitchen and saw the potato soup rolling to a boil. Wife forgot to add in the onions, but it was still awesome. We thought next time maybe less black pepper (wife hates lots of it, I don't usually mind it, but had to agree it seemed a little overpowering here). With the crushed red pepper and Frank's sauce, this will def. open your sinuses. Only 2 complaints are wife didnt have good beer and she didnt work on my rig. She actually blamed me for the beer faux pas, and said she couldnt work on my rig cuz the kids wanted to play candyland.
Great stuff, I'm looking forward to leftovers, which we have plenty of.

making this now, just hope my pot is big enough to handle it.

that stuff is awesome.

I found that about 10oz of cheese in the soup makes it better (for me)

Also found that I like to chop up green onions and sprinkly them on top of eachbowl of soup along with some chopped bacon :)

after some thought, it wouldn't take much to turn this into clam chowder either. couple cans of minced clams ( or fresh if ya got 'em )

is currently simmering nicely, wife will be home with the cream in a bit, then we'll decide if it's turning to chowder or not.

We are having a pot luck lunch at work today. I slapped this in the crock pot last night and cooked it on low. I just added the bacon and whipping cream. The whole department is salivating. Man I love this stuff.

It isn't quite cold enough yet, but I'm ready for Potato Soup weather!

I agree! When you make this soup, if you try to do it the super fast way, make sure to stir often so the soup at the bottom doesn't burn, ask me how I know :)

after some thought, it wouldn't take much to turn this into clam chowder either. couple cans of minced clams (or fresh if ya got 'em).

I had homemade seafood chowder at a friend's last week and there were definite similarities... I think her recipe called for lots more whipping cream (than the potato soup recipe), but she'd substituted evaporated milk and it was still really good.

Heh, I keep telling myself to hold off, too... but that seafood chowder last week when it was rainy was pretty awesome. ;)

I made some of this up last week.Turned out really well,Even the kids ate it.Good recipe,thanks for posting the thread!!!!

Linda made up a huge pot fo this last week...it was a tad to warm out, but hearty and filling none-the-less

It was cool enough yesterday that I made up a pot of corn chowder... similarly thick and hearty to the potato soup, but a lot faster to cook!

Saute 2 slices of chopped bacon in a pot
Add 1/2 a medium onion, chopped fine
Add 2 Tb butter to the pot
Add 4-6 cups of corn (I used canned but fresh cut off the cob would cook just as fast)

While the corn is sauteing, finely dice about 3 chili peppers (heat/amount to your preference, I used 1 jalapeno and 2 poblano chilies from the garden)

Add chilies and saute about 5 minutes
Add 1-1/2 cups of heavy cream or evaporated milk
Add about 16 oz chicken broth (more if you prefer)
Mix 3 Tb corn meal in 1/4 cup of warm water, add to pot

Bring to a boil and then turn down to simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently.

Serve it up with a little shredded cheese on top!

I think I have add potatoes and heavy cream to this week's grocery list... next weekend is looking chilly!

44 and drizzly here in Raleigh... everything is in the pot, simmering. Should be ready just in time for lunch!

I don't know if I've ever posted the details of my version, so figured I'd share for anyone interested:

This is technically a half batch from the original... it still makes a good 12-16 servings, depending on the audience.

1/2 lb of bacon, chopped
3 lbs potatoes, cubed
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1-1/2 cups of chopped carrots
3-4 cups chopped kale
32 oz. chicken broth (or a 15 oz. can plus the balance as water)
2 tsp salt*
1 tsp pepper*
1 T minced garlic*
2 tsp basil*
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes*
2-3 tsp hot sauce* (Frank's, Tabasco, Texas Pete... whatever you like)
additional water to keep everything covered

1/2 stick of salted butter
1 cup heavy whipping cream

Saute chopped bacon in a large pot until crispy. Remove to paper towels.
Leaving drippings and up to 2 Tb grease in the pan.
Add chopped onion to pan, saute until clear.
Add potatoes, carrots, broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
Add chopped kale and allow to wilt on top before stirring in. Add additional water, if needed.
Simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally and adjusting liquid, if needed.

Return bacon to the pot and add butter and heavy whipping cream, simmer an additional 30 minutes.

Sounds like I know what's for dinner,I am gonna go pick the stuff up and some firewood.This would be great for tonight,with a fire in the fire place and a movie on TV.Thanks.

Alright word to the wise and the less than proficient at cooking,like me.Don't substitute the crushed red pepper with Cayenne Red Pepper.Apparently they aren't the same.I really enjoyed it,had four bowls,but it was too spicy for anyone else in my house to eat.

I made the same mistake the first time i made it..

Just finished a batch for the race this weekend... much better than the first time i made it.

Back