96 Honda Civic wont start after head gasket replacement

Cherokeekid88

A buddy of mine just had his head gasket replaced on his 96 civic and they got everything together and now it wont start. mechanic checked it and said that the timing was good and distributor was good. Mechanic is saying that there is a short somewhere, but that he doesn't deal a lot with electrical stuff.
anyone have any idea?

Timing is off 99% of the time on these deals

so is the mechanic who is saying the timing is correct but won't start the same guy who done head/timing job? if so, that's a pretty crappy deal for your friend. he obviously left wire unplugged, ground off, or screwed up timing, broke knock/cam sensor, one of the above.

Ask for the compression numbers lol. It's hard to judge this from afar so I doubt anyone will be able to offer much assistance. I will say that any shop that says "we don't deal with a lot of electrical" isn't a shop you should have your car at lol

cars and "electrical stuff" kinda go hand in hand. Might be time to find a new mechanic haha

a buddy of his did the head gasket and timing. then another guy checked the timing and said he was fine. now a third person has gotten into the mix and said that something seems to have come unplugged.
He is trying not to buy a new car, so he is trying to fix everything he can on the cheap.

No help here, but I'm going to bet on 180° off.

You have to remember that the timing could look right if you pull the cap but if your on the exhaust stroke and not the intake you get no fire. If you have a noid light and a spark tester it's an easy thing to check, if they fash almost together your good if one on pause one on your 180 out like stated above. But do check the electrical connections and grounds also.

Back