93 XJ build

NickMaul

92 XJ build

Here we go this is an XJ budget build.....
What I go so far.....
ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_IMG_0297.jpg

One of my favorite pictures...
ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_2027063400090556647S600x600Q85.jpg

~4.0 HO
~AX15 (swap)
~NP231 w/ RE Flange HnT
~KFS shift linkage
~RE 3.5" lift
~4.56 gears
~Front aussie locker
~Rear Spartan Locker
~33" A/Ts
~(2) 6" LED Olympus Offroad Olympus Lights
~Trimmed Fenders
~CB
~Half Doors
~IRO tierod
~Rocker Panel Replacement Rock Sliders
~3 Row Aluminum Radiator
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well finally have all my stuff to begin my build up. not hardcore but i though since i am new to this it will be fun to be able to post all of this and share the problems i run in to since this is my first time doing all this work, and i'm only 17. i will be doing RE 3.5" lift & 31" tsl thornbirds
this is the XJ I got from my sister...super long story. I put that bumper on. a guy on the board made it for me. looks slick
ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0006_3.jpg

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0008.jpg

a week later i picked up some tsl thornbirds...ya ya ya i dont wanna hear how they suck. i got a spanking deal and you cant have everything you want on the first go around.
ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0011.jpg

this is just a small mock up with tires to get a taste
ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0009.jpg

dad's land rover mock up.....psych!:fuck-you:
ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0012.jpg

not around a camera but i will take a picture of all my goodies i have gathered for my big week.

Last edited:
I remember when I started out with my first 4x4. Thirty some years ago and counting. Walk away now and you will retire early :lol: Looking forward to your build

I just started my first one too. Who made the bumper? I like it.

well here is the picture showdown.

some of my stuff
ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0017_2.jpg

about two hours later that night
ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0013_2.jpg

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0014_2.jpg

called it a night and went to bed.......next morning picked up where i left off
never decided to take the whole spring set out. just left the top spring in and added the leafs then stacked them under, clamped em, pinned em, ready to go
ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0018_2.jpg

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0019_2.jpg

got leafs finished then bolted the axle back. ohh and i did use axles shims, improved driveshaft angle a little. better than nothing. then put shocks in and the rear is done minus bleeding brakes.
tada
ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0021_2.jpg

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0020_2.jpg

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0022_2.jpg

REAR vs FRONT :lol:
ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0026_1.jpg

after this i preped the front end for tomorrow. got eveything disconnected and old coils out. so tomorrow when i wake up i can just start putting everything together.
just a few prep pics
ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0027_1.jpg

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0028_1.jpg

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0030_1.jpg

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0031_1.jpg

so far so goood. ill update my progress! :bounce2:

Looking great Nick! That's a clean XJ too! Can't wait to wheel with ya and watch you smash it on some rocks! hehehehe

First I would like to commend you on starting a build, Its allot of work to do it your self, But in the end it is worth it.

Whats your plans are far as usage for the Jeep, Mostly DD with some weekend wheelin or the other way around. If your planing to wheel it allot of would keep an eye out for some different tires, I understand you know the thornbirds are not the greatest tires, There good as long as you keep them on the road, They really suck off the road, I had a buddy with a set on his blazer in high school many years ago, He called me many times to pull him out. They seems to dig them selves a hole they can't get out of in mud or loose dirt. If its mostly a DD you will be fine.

Great job, So far, interesting to see how it turns out.

First I would like to commend you on starting a build, Its allot of work to do it your self, But in the end it is worth it.
Whats your plans are far as usage for the Jeep, Mostly DD with some weekend wheelin or the other way around. If your planing to wheel it allot of would keep an eye out for some different tires, I understand you know the thornbirds are not the greatest tires, There good as long as you keep them on the road, They really suck off the road, I had a buddy with a set on his blazer in high school many years ago, He called me many times to pull him out. They seems to dig them selves a hole they can't get out of in mud or loose dirt. If its mostly a DD you will be fine.
Great job, So far, interesting to see how it turns out.

Have you seen the muscles this kid has? He doesn't even need a winch, he'll just pull it out by hand if it gets stuck! :D Oh and he knows how to use a big sledge. heheh

burrelsjeep. this is my dd so it will be weekend wheeling. and i plan on getting another set of tires and wheels for week days and use the thornbirds for weekend wheeling. again i know they aint the best but im not to big on mud. just trail ridding and a few rock obstacles. i will look around for some TSLs or LTBs once i have money. i am broke as of right now.

thanks for the advice though....greatly appreciated man

well dang it was hottttt today! 85 degrees and counting....it only made the day better :driver: got it all done!!!!

well woke up this morning to completely finish the rear. had to reattach the brake lines with the new stainless steel line....kinda a pain but got the rear all done and could focus on the front
ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0032_1.jpg

next i tackled the front brake lines. i didnt buy the optional stainless steel front lines so i had to bend and re locate the existing line. easy as pie, except when i did this i was dumb and didnt remember that shocks exist...wooops. only took a minute to relocate after i remembered to leave room for the shocks. i never took pics of the relocated relocated the lines. these were only attempt number 1
ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0035.jpg

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0036.jpg

progress!
ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0037.jpg

lower control arms were a breeze. had to ratchet strap the axle to get the last control arm in, no sweat. thanks JC for that little tip!
ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0038.jpg

even more progress!
ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0039.jpg

well the coil compressor i got from auto zone was a piece of poop so my buddy had these which worked like a god. there were tiny ubolts that locked the pieces into place so when you start cranking they dont slide around due to the pressure
ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0040.jpg

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0042.jpg

got the shocks in. everything else is in place
ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0044.jpg

well after this all happened i drilled a hole for the trac bar. not rich enough for an adjustable trac bar. to do that i had to take the tie rod off at the passenger side of the axle. when i go to put it all back together i learn that my castle nuts a stripped......thats where the frustration began. napa had some but they were and awkard fit and didnt have enough thread to get the cotter pin through. and every specialty shop was closed, and i dont have time on my side. so i used the ones from napa but used a skinny file to lower the ridges on the nut. hard to explain, sorry no pics. but that whole ordeal took about 3-4 hours....PITA.

then after that, bled the brakes, connected sway bars and added air to the tires.
BAMMMMM
ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0045.jpg

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0046.jpg

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0048.jpg

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0050.jpg

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_PICT0051.jpg

i love it. been wanting to lift my suburban but sold it and i was dying as soon as i got my hands on a jeep. this made me happy knowing i did all of it under my own guidance, in about two days, and didnt get frustrated and blow it up.

thanks to JC for the pickle for and jacks. plus the few tips i picked up. I will be cutting the fender right after the bumper....i think someone had mentioned that.

any suggestions, besides the tires?

You made quick work of that man! Very good job!

My first suggestion is to upgrade your tie rod. To do it on the cheap go to the junkyard and find you a tie rod from a V8 ZJ. They are MUCH more beefier than the stock noodle that's on there. Otherwise you can buy HD rods online from the normal places. That will be the first thing break/bend. At least pick up a spare XJ one if you can't find a ZJ or other upgrade.

Second in addition to cutting your front fenders I would them flush with the bottom of your bumper. It'll look better and that way you won't have to deal with smashing them on something.

Congrats on you first lift install :beer: after a few more, it won't be long and you will be doing the whole install in about 3-4 hrs. It was hot sum beach yesterday. I sweated my butt off in the shop too. Went from cold and hot :shaking: Looks like your girl friend was involved too, catching some rays while you were working.
Looks good

looking good. Before you do any extreme wheeling, you'll want to replace the cruddy front bumpstops with something longer (and intact). Otherwise the larger tires can tear up the fenders. On the rear, its not that important since its a non steer axle. You'll still probably trim the front fenders and cut/fold the rear.

I'd ride those tires until they are worn, or you actually find a situation where they suck, or you find a buyer who will give what you have in them. For a DD combo offroader, I wouldnt recommend Swampers, I go with BFG AT's or MT's.

Looks good Nick. My wife says, "rocker guards are next", don't want to mess up that nice sheet metal :)

Rig sits real nice. SUPER job on getting it done quickly and by yourself, best way to learn IMO.

Great Job,

x2 the tie rod spare or upgrade. Bent mine a ton, before replacing it with a custom set up. Spares are cheap, If you do a spare, Measure between the tie rod ends on the tie rod then write that on the spare in silver sharpie. That way if you have to swap it on the trail you have measurement, that should get it close and driveable.

Great Job,

x2 the tie rod spare or upgrade. Bent mine a ton, before replacing it with a custom set up. Spares are cheap, If you do a spare, Measure between the tie rod ends on the tie rod then write that on the spare in silver sharpie. That way if you have to swap it on the trail you have measurement, that should get it close and driveable.

skip the sharpie (although you should have one in the garage), pre-adjust the spare TR to match the length your running.

Im guessing that is a RE lift kit,
I have one on my 95 ZJ and mine came with the 2nd gen quick disco's
Did you not get those? just curious. If not i would highly recommend them!
I take mine off every time i go offroading and its a really big difference!
BTW Nice XJ! sits real nice! Trim those fenders!!

Im guessing that is a RE lift kit,
I have one on my 95 ZJ and mine came with the 2nd gen quick disco's
Did you not get those? just curious. If not i would highly recommend them!
I take mine off every time i go offroading and its a really big difference!
BTW Nice XJ! sits real nice! Trim those fenders!!

RE6020 XJ 3.5" Super-Ride w/ Add-a-Leaf

x2 on the disconnects, even if you simply unbolt the sway bar links and use a bungee or zip-ties to hold the bar up.

Jeep looks good bro, I love the look of those thornbirds they can make such a little tire look so damn mean! My bro-in-law just got basically the same jeep you have I already got him hit twith the jeep bug so he is through! Keep up the work buddy

I'd ride those tires until they are worn, or you actually find a situation where they suck, or you find a buyer who will give what you have in them. For a DD combo offroader, I wouldnt recommend Swampers, I go with BFG AT's or MT's.

well i'm gana keep the thornbirds for trail riding only and pick up a set of 30 inch street tires to use for the regular driving back and forward to school plus the highway trips. i'll keep my eyes peeled for some nice super swampers for trail riding and maybe just use the thornbirds for street untill they run slick.

IDK i'm just broke right now.

and as for the quick disconnects i dont think my kit came with gen 2 disco's. i'm gana have to double check my bill and call RE. either way i will disconnect the sway bar for off road usage

thanks for the thought

Back