89 Waggy

Chaos

Hello folks, I am new to your boards, and new to North Carolina.I sold my 83 CJ (waaaah) to move here.I have talked me neighbor into giving up her 89 wagoner. I should be getting it sometime this summer. It has a 360 that is in bad need of a rebuild, 170+ miles and dyin'. I have very few tools and limited funds (my wife said so anyway) It is bone stock and she has owned it since new. Everything seems to be age appropriate for how old it is, but in reasonabley good shape. I live in Charlotte (waxhaw actually) Looking for some folks to help me out with the rebuild.I am not looking to make a monster, 35's and reliable. It is going to be a toy for my wife and I, we have 2 kids that I want to introduce to wheeling. I am fairly knowledgeable, but I have never rebuilt a motor, and don't want to learn things the hard way.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Howdy! There are a bunch of people around you. Check out the up coming events section for the rock course work that is gonna be done in charlotte on the 21st. It would be a great time to get to meet some people on here. -Josh

Welcome to the board and NC! Where ya from? I'm sure there's plenty of people here that can help you with that rebuild. Start saving your money now though. It gets expensive fast if you go with high quality parts. (Just like everything else).

I work at an automotive machine shop. We do engine rebuilds. It amazes me that there is such a difference in engine kits from one to another. 350 chevy, being the cheapest and Jeeps being one of the most expensive. If it's going to be kinda a toy that won't see a lot of miles, you may concider finding a used engine. Fairly easy to find usually. Welcome to the board

Thanx for the welcome, I priced out a Jasper motor, and it was only 2k.The drive train is solid, so I don't mind spending the money on either a good rebuild, or just drop in a long block. i would like to maybe throw in an rv cam maybe a little better carburator.
Upnover, If you where going with a rebuild kit, which would you recomend, based on quality?
I don't mind spending the money, but I only want to spend it once.I am thinking i am going to have a budget of around 5k for everything I want to do.Lift, wheels and tires are going to take up around 2k, so 3k should be enough for motor, and other niceties.

We get our kits from Liberty engine parts there in Charlotte. The good thing with them is that you can change parts such as pistons, cams and so on. I would have a quality shop do my machine work. I would go to the extra expense in having the block decked, complete head work, having rods checked, and a balance job. The 360 in an internally balanced engine so take your flex plate and balancer in with the engine. If you tear it apart, make sure to number the mains and rods

With this truck I plan on taking the sissy route and farming out the rebuild.I manage Goodyear here in Charlotte and work too much to tinker with it over time, i am looking to just drop it off and pick it up. I will look into the kit from Liberty monday from work. I am going to do all the other work myself, just not messing with the motor.
This thing is also a narrow track, instead of going threw an axle swap, I was thinking of some quality wheel spacers to get the rims out a bit, throw in a little back space, and I think I can clear 35's with little or no fender trimming.
Any ideas, or experiance with this set-up?

I have a friend who has a 80 waggy with 74 waggy axles. SOA and lift springs, he runs 35 boggers that will tuck inside when flexed. Be happy to have you bring the engine to us, but, we are about an hour and fifteen mins away. Give Charlie a call Monday Morning and discuss options and so on. 828 433 1586

Thanks a lot for all the input, I will give him a call monday morning.I don't suspect i will be going anywhere this summer, nothing will be anywhere near ready, and i really don't think the wife will be too happy out wheeling in the leather clad 99 Tahoe ( hehe hauler, she just don't know it yet). I have spent the last 3-4 days just reading the boards, i really look forward to meating everyone someday, seems like a really cool group.
Thanks again, i will be sure to post updates when available.

hey i just picked up an 89 this weekend, sounds like mine is in a little better shape, motor wise though.

have you found any good sites yet for the waggy?

Grandwaggy%20003.jpg

i have a question. my smog pump is squeling and i was wondering what if any effect there would be if i was to jsut remove the belt till i get a chance to replace it?

Hey Guys,

I'm up in Concord. I've got an '88 that I just had rebuilt.

I went back and forth on buying a remanufactured engine versus rebuilding versus having the motor rebuilt. Bottom line, I did not have the space or time to mess with doing the motor myself, so I ended up having the motor rebuilt.

I had an older guy, here in Concord, do the rebuild. He's been working on AMCs for years and seems to know his stuff. The only thing is he doesn't pull the motor, so you have to pull it and either bring it to him or arrange for him to pick it up. If you're interested in talking to him, let me know, I'll get you his number.

I'll also second or third ifsja.org for info on your Waggy. There are a bunch of good people on that board with lots of good info. There are also several locals on that board. Doing what you want to do on the budget you have should be very doable, but I'd start there for where to get started.

Jeff

That color is :huggy:

Thanks again Jeff, He is going to rebuild it, just about exactly like you had yours rebuilt, with the cam and reworking the oil issue. He also mentioned about having the exhaust manifold reworked for better flow, i don't want to run headers. He is going to do that too.

Back