Project dirt dobber

Define cheap!

I picked up a kit from some place out in cali that was designed for a toy truck. Its just wider than the frame rails which might be hard for you to package, but i still have most of the frame so it wasnt too bad. If i can find what i picked up, i'll let you know.

The new tk1 arms are much better than the old ones of of the rock equipment days. I had to have a new setup shipped overnight while I was traveling cross country last month and was relieved to see the new arms.

With that said there are junkyard options and dirt track setups.

The new tk1 arms are much better than the old ones of of the rock equipment days. I had to have a new setup shipped overnight while I was traveling cross country last month and was relieved to see the new arms.

With that said there are junkyard options and dirt track setups.

I know of a number of folks using the dirt track bars, but you need to know what size bar/arms you need. I have also heard of folks using Toyota torsion bars/keys for a sway bar with good success. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/509819-super-cheap-junkyard-swaybar.html

The one I made for the back of my old X Cab.
Toyota Torsion bar that I cut and sleeved to widen it a bit
Advance auto sway bar bushings
2" x 1/2" Cold rolled flat plate arms
Dirt track links and heims

Probably had $100 in the whole thing by the time it was all said and done. Worked pretty well for the short time it was done before I sold the rig.

aimg198.imageshack.us_img198_8164_swaybarfab.jpg

The one I made for the back of my old X Cab.
Toyota Torsion bar that I cut and sleeved to widen it a bit
Advance auto sway bar bushings
2" x 1/2" Cold rolled flat plate arms
Dirt track links and heims

Probably had $100 in the whole thing by the time it was all said and done. Worked pretty well for the short time it was done before I sold the rig.

View attachment 190412
How long did you make the arms?

I am going to probably going to go with the Toyota torsion bar sway bar. I'll pick up some sway bar bushings this week and start working on it cause I could use it right now. Even with the leafs in the front

Got to work on my sway bar. Mounting it on my axle cause I have no room on my chassis. What cha think. Going to make bump stop pads at the top to kill 2 birds with one stone. Ugly but functional
ai1052.photobucket.com_albums_s455_orv_design_fab_Mobile_20Uploads_0720152019b_zpszv5skccs.jpg

Making my arms with 16.5" from eye to eye and 15". So I can see which is going to work better. 1/2" plate and going to bend them inside to miss my lower links. Shouldn't have any problems. My issue is going to be making the brackets to the chassis. Not wanting something huge. So I'm going to go tractor supply and see if they have small heims to use.

Well I don't have the room...cause of the limited amount of rear chassis. So I thought to make it a lil shorter and mount the sway bar on the rear end and mount the links on the chassis and it'll serve its purpose, ...any experts out there?

Yea, I have been doing some sway bar research myself. I see where you are going with it. It just seams to me the other way would be easier. I am by no means an expert.

Not with my rear tubing, no space around the area that it would need to go to be at the axle, so I flipped it and put the sway bar on the axle and mounted the sway bar on the axle and connect the turnbuckel on the chassis.

Got my sway bar Finished. Amazing how it limits sway but allows the suspension to flex. And my front leads actually work now, it'll change after I link the front but for now it is perfect. Super happy...and icing on the top is I have about $55 in it and some time.
ai1052.photobucket.com_albums_s455_orv_design_fab_Mobile_20Uploads_0827152104a_zpsppqu0pzt.jpg

ai1052.photobucket.com_albums_s455_orv_design_fab_Mobile_20Uploads_0827152327_zpsvasayblq.jpg

Back