Towing Gooseneck and 2 Rigs/Cars with SRW

I dont think it's an arguable point. The legislature specifically changed the law to accommodate boats on trailers that were over 10k.

(3) Class C. - A Class C license authorizes the holder to drive any of the following:

a. A Class C motor vehicle that is not a commercial motor vehicle.

b. When operated by a volunteer member of a fire department, a rescue squad, or an emergency medical service (EMS) in the performance of duty, a Class A or Class B fire-fighting, rescue, or EMS motor vehicle or a combination of these vehicles.

c. A combination of noncommercial motor vehicles that have a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds but less than 26,001 pounds. This sub-subdivision does not apply to a Class C license holder less than 18 years of age.

Refer to point "a." He is committing commerce with this setup which opens it up to a different set of rules. You have my curiosity up so I am going to call the lady who gave me the test for clarification on Monday.

Is it intrastate? Is he carrying commercial insurance? Has a DOT number? Name on the door? Keeping a log book? Placard loads?

If you want to get into gray areas, there seems to be a huge one there for someone who can qualify for the personal use exemption.

But yeah, if you're hauling for hire, then you need a DOT number and business name on the door, a log book, CDL, and commercial motor carrier insurance. Going to get expensive in a big hurry.

Yea it gets pricey. That's why I said this system is confusing or gray. I had 3 Baja buggies on a wedge when I was stopped. I was told since we had "not for hire" and these were "private owned rec. buggies" then I didn't need any of the above items. lol WRONG! Just the stickers on the buggies meant sponsor therefore "making money". I was wrong then for sure. The agent was firm but very lenient. Could have done some big damage with fines but didn't.

Any of us that have gone to the Flats up I 40 above Statesville have dealt with the DMV enforcement guy that pulls over folks towing buggies. He eased up beside each one of us in line and I guess he ran our tags while rolling until he found one that was not for enough weight. Blue lights.

This is always a good discussion on here cause there is always plenty of mis-interpretation to what's needed for tags and such. Good talk Shawn!

So what about the reciprocity question? If I am over 10k on trailer weight and/or specs but under 26k I am good in nc as long as non-commercial. While some may disagree that seeems pretty clear to me from what I read on the back of my dl. However, Is that susceptible to being pinched in other states or is there some kind of reciprocity that is more firm than "officer discretion" ? I guess this confederacy was a bad idea after all, too many differing rules:kaioken:

I know you are all looking at the back of the license and seeing the 26001. But I have been to several crash and traffic investigation schools and that is for single unit or combined weight of truck and trailer, not the trailer alone. Most officers will not bother you, but motor carrier units might. I assure you, the magic number for a trailer is 10,001. That does make it commercial .

Is there some documentation that backs that up? I would hope the troopers would be working off some statute that isn't totally nebulous that they can make up as they go. Not trying to sound like a smart ass in saying that, just would like to actually read something that clarifies that position. Since from reading my license and I just looked at the NC DMV CDL handbook (link to that as a pdf is on this page http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/handbooks_CDLmanual.pdf) and it has a decision tree (page 1-1, figure 1.1) on whether one needs a CDL and the class A B or C of that. They all tie it to >26K from my read (or a bus driver for the class C CDL). Forget the commercial or not commercial thing, just considering a dually truck with a 14K trailer (gross would be 22-23K at most), as i read that the decision tree ends at "No CDL Required". There is also non-commercial class A and B but they also seem to tie to the same 26K definitions from my reading but non-commercial use and again no mention from my light reading of a 10K trailer without the entire combo being over 26K. I thought it was different a few years ago but it was changed as @shawn alluded to above. Again, just asking for clarity on this not trying to argue or be anasshat. (I've got a dually in the last year or so and have been thinking to upgrade my trailer to a 14K gooseneck from my current 7K bumper pull so this topic has caught my attention as that upgrade would toss me over the magic 10K number you mention)

2 things I do to keep ahead of this:
1- I remove my magnetic signs from my tow rig before I head out. This is an effort to look less commercial.
2- I have a CDL :D

What is really involved to get a class A endorsement?

From the website.. $15/year fee, written test and a skill test (what does this really involve?). Is a medical card required?

Ok, so I didn’t find a statute that says if your trailer is rated for this, you have to have this license.

BUT, if you are driving a Class A vehicle you have to have a Class A license. Here is the definition.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/statutes/statutelookup.pl?statute=20-4.01

§ 20-4.01. Definitions.

(2a) Class A Motor Vehicle. - A combination of motor vehicles that meets either of the following descriptions:

a. Has a combined GVWR of at least 26,001 pounds and includes as part of the combination a towed unit that has a GVWR of at least 10,001 pounds.

b. Has a combined GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds and includes as part of the combination a towed unit that has a GVWR of at least 10,001 pounds.

(2b) Class B Motor Vehicle. - Any of the following:

a. A single motor vehicle that has a GVWR of at least 26,001 pounds.

b. A combination of motor vehicles that includes as part of the combination a towing unit that has a GVWR of at least 26,001 pounds and a towed unit that has a GVWR of less than 10,001 pounds.

(2c) Class C Motor Vehicle. - Any of the following:

a. A single motor vehicle not included in Class B.

b. A combination of motor vehicles not included in Class A or Class B.

Ok, so I didn’t find a statute that says if your trailer is rated for this, you have to have this license.

BUT, if you are driving a Class A vehicle you have to have a Class A license. Here is the definition.

20-4.01 does not say that. It defines types of vehicles, with no mention of licenses.

20-7 defines licenses. I have already quoted it above.

§ 20-7. (See notes) Issuance and renewal of drivers licenses.

(a) License Required. - To drive a motor vehicle on a highway, a person must be licensed by the Division under this Article or Article 2C of this Chapter to drive the vehicle and must carry the license while driving the vehicle. The Division issues regular drivers licenses under this Article and issues commercial drivers licenses under Article 2C.

A license authorizes the holder of the license to drive any vehicle included in the class of the license and any vehicle included in a lesser class of license, except a vehicle for which an endorsement is required. To drive a vehicle for which an endorsement is required, a person must obtain both a license and an endorsement for the vehicle. A regular drivers license is considered a lesser class of license than its commercial counterpart.

The classes of regular drivers licenses and the motor vehicles that can be driven with each class of license are:

(1) Class A. - A Class A license authorizes the holder to drive any of the following:

a. A Class A motor vehicle that is exempt under G.S. 20-37.16 from the commercial drivers license requirements.

b. A Class A motor vehicle that has a combined GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds and includes as part of the combination a towed unit that has a GVWR of at least 10,001 pounds.

(2) Class B. - A Class B license authorizes the holder to drive any Class B motor vehicle that is exempt under G.S. 20-37.16 from the commercial drivers license requirements.

(3) Class C. - A Class C license authorizes the holder to drive any of the following:

a. A Class C motor vehicle that is not a commercial motor vehicle.

b. When operated by a volunteer member of a fire department, a rescue squad, or an emergency medical service (EMS) in the performance of duty, a Class A or Class B fire-fighting, rescue, or EMS motor vehicle or a combination of these vehicles.

c. A combination of noncommercial motor vehicles that have a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds but less than 26,001 pounds. This sub-subdivision does not apply to a Class C license holder less than 18 years of age.

On part C of the Class C license, I think you are confusing "A combination of noncommercial motor vehicles that have a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds but less than 26,001 pounds." to mean any trailer weight in that range, but it does not define the trailer weight rating in that sentence, only the two units together.

Last edited:
When my computer gets too complicated or corrupted Or has too many programs to function efficiently, I can just reinstall the operating system and start over...

On part C of the Class C license, I think you are confusing "A combination of noncommercial motor vehicles that have a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds but less than 26,001 pounds." to mean any trailer weight in that range, but it does not define the trailer weight rating in that sentence, only the two units together.

Exactly. They changed the law and removed the 10k pound trailer restriction specifically to allow class C license holders to tow bigger trailers. Says so right in the notes on the bill.

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2007&BillID=s1695

So, i didn't see anything in there contrary to what I have said or posted. Maybe I missed it. Maybe we just interpret it differently. Truthfully, I really don't care if people are hauling heavier trailers than they are licensed for.
But some officers do and will cite for it. There are definitely officers, troopers, District Attorney's and Judges that don't see it as you are saying.

I called the CDL test site yesterday and cited a couple of the examples yall have. The deciding factor in this are you using your setup for commerce (to make money)? If yes then you will need the higher license. Yes K5 the inspector on the phone said the exact thing that it will be the LEO's discretion of if he wants to allow it or not. Not every LEO will know every angle to the CDL rules. But a DMV enforcement officer will. Every example I gave him on the phone he threw different responses. I would urge yall to call with your particular setup if your serious about being right.

So, i didn't see anything in there contrary to what I have said or posted.

This isn't a big secret. DOT officers were setting up shop outside of fishing tournaments, issuing tickets to people who were overweight and over width. The legislature said that's BS, and they changed the law. Easley vetoed it, the Highway Patrol did a bunch of demonstrations for the press, showing how it would be the end of the world if it passed, but the legislature overrode the veto and made it law.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, is insurance. If your rig setup is deemed not legal and your in an accident, your insurance company could choose to not pay out because your illegal. Do your homework and be safe out there.

Back