Zuk buggy build

powerstroken

Thomasville, living in a van down by the river
I figured since everyone else is doing these build up's, I'd post mine up.
The buggy is a samurai base rig. shooting for 2500-3000lbs
complete tube chassie
1.6 16 valve engine
sidekick transmission
sidekick lo-range box married to a zuk tcase
toyota axles, 4:10, chromo both ends
full hydro steering
dual triangulated 4link front and rear
18 inch fox 2.0 air shocks
39's on bead locks (hopefully Krawlers)
jeremy

ai238.photobucket.com_albums_ff27_powerstroken_rok_rokhopperbox005Small.jpg

ai238.photobucket.com_albums_ff27_powerstroken_rok_rokhopperbox002Small.jpg

ai238.photobucket.com_albums_ff27_powerstroken_rok_whitezukforsale005Small.jpg

ai238.photobucket.com_albums_ff27_powerstroken_rok_whitezukforsale003Small.jpg

Cool...my wife's Sammi is getting the same type treatment soon. Can I interest you in a 5.14 sammi case with very few runs on it????

:popcorn::beer:

Cool...my wife's Sammi is getting the same type treatment soon. Can I interest you in a 5.14 sammi case with very few runs on it????

No thanks, I have 6.5 in this one but I have some friends that have zuks I'll see if anyones interested. I'm just curious what are you going to be replacing hers with? toyota drivetrain.

The frame is a little wide but I was kinda keeping in mind that if this small motor doesn't work, I could always go bigger.

Looking good there! Any particular timeframe to have it done?

He has total lost this truck 4 times, only 2 were his fault. Hopefully the exo will fix this problem. He says he can't wait to go to walmart, so he can park up front and let someone open their door and hit it:lol:. Just kidding this truck will probably never see the streets again. Some of his mods are going to be 1tons, linked front and rear, air shocks, full hydro, 42's and a big purdy t-case.

yeah...... Jim makes this part look real easy and fast.
well I finally got the tabs made and the 4 link done.

ai238.photobucket.com_albums_ff27_powerstroken_rok_pic070.jpg

I made the upper rear frame mounts adjustable
ai238.photobucket.com_albums_ff27_powerstroken_rok_pic072.jpg

ai238.photobucket.com_albums_ff27_powerstroken_rok_buggy012Small.jpg

ai238.photobucket.com_albums_ff27_powerstroken_rok_buggy011Small.jpg

ai238.photobucket.com_albums_ff27_powerstroken_rok_buggy010Small.jpg

Also got the hydro steer mounts built to the axle. sorry for the bad pic.
ai238.photobucket.com_albums_ff27_powerstroken_rok_pic069.jpg

Ok next Is where the hidden cost is, I'm complete rebuilding the front and rear axle.

I have a question for you guy's that build or have 4links. When I flex the rear axle up all the way on one side and all the way down on the other side. The lower side wants to walk towards the buggy about a 2inchs. Is this normal, also that's at max flex.
thanks jeremy

that's called 'rear steer', and it's 100% dependent on your link geometry.

Do a search on Pirate to learn more, but odds are good it won't be noticeable on the trail.

Good lookin build so far man!

that's called 'rear steer', and it's 100% dependent on your link geometry.

Do a search on Pirate to learn more, but odds are good it won't be noticeable on the trail.

Good lookin build so far man!

"buzzer sounds" im sorry but that is incorrect.

the term your looking for is axle steer.

rear steer is when the rear axle is a "steering" axle.

"buzzer sounds" im sorry but that is incorrect.
the term your looking for is axle steer.
rear steer is when the rear axle is a "steering" axle.

Whether correct terminology or not. Most people (esp on Pirate) do call this effect "rear steer", and it is directly influenced by the geometry and lack of, or incorrect triangulation and separation in the 4 link design.

Or flex steer. Axle steer sounds pretty :gay:, what ever floats your boat though. :flipoff2:

I have a question for you guy's that build or have 4links. When I flex the rear axle up all the way on one side and all the way down on the other side. The lower side wants to walk towards the buggy about a 2inchs. Is this normal, also that's at max flex.
thanks jeremy

It's not uncommon. Everybody I know calls it rearsteer. Looks like you have everything burned in, I wouldn't sweat it.

As far as 4-link calc's go, I never use them. There are way to many variables and guessing used when people put in their numbers. Not to mention there's a good chance what works on paper (or computer) won't work/fit on your rig.

Back