zucchini out the arse

RenegadeT

no shirt,no shoes,no dice
How about some good zucchini recipes? I've been grilling it, making pasta salad, got the wife making bread and casserole. Next batch will be bread and casserole for the freezer. Also been giving 'em away to friends and co-workers, still have more growing. This is the first time I've planted at this house, conditions must be perfect here. 3 plants are yielding way to much!
ai51.photobucket.com_albums_f363_RenegadeT_2009_07_11006_1.jpg

We made the same mistake a few years ago - wife just threw a whole handfull of seeds out in teh plot.
Every one of the msprouted, then had a pretty wet summer - we were swimming in Zuchini, we couldn't eat/give them away fast enough.

We saute yellow squash, zucchini, and onions about every other night as side vegetables for our meal. My wife says you add "salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, basil, and soy sauce."

Mexican Zucchini Cheese Soup

* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 cup chopped onion
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
* 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut in 1/4 inch slices
* 2 medium yellow squash, halved lengthwise and cut in 1/4 inch slices
* 1 (8.75 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
* 1 (4.5 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
* 12 ounces processed cheese food, cubed
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot, and saute the onion and garlic until tender. Season with oregano.
2. Mix in the chicken broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Mix in the zucchini, yellow squash, corn, and chile peppers. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
3. Mix the cubed processed cheese into the soup. Continue to cook and stir until cheese is melted. Season with pepper. Mix in the cilantro just before serving.

I'm in the same boat. grillum fryum stewum eatum. saw a good recipe in a mag I'm goin to try. it went something like this
zuch's cut in half ,scoop out seeds to make a little trough, fill with browned h-burger & onions, cover with cheese and tomato sauce. wrap in t-foil throw it on the grill.

I make kabobs with zucchini, yellow squash, onions, & green peppers and marinate them in italian dressing overnight then throw them on the grill & baste with more italian while they cook as a side item and they turn out really good

Chocolate Zucchini Loaf

2 1/2 c. flour

1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa

1 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

2 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

3/4 c butter or margarine

2 c sugar

3 eggs

2 c grated zucchini

1/2 c milk

2 tsp vanilla

1 c chopped walnuts

1/2c chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 9" loaf pans and dust lightly with cocoa.

In a bowl cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat until smooth. Stir in vanilla and zucchini. Stir in all other ingredients. Mix well. Pour into loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour 5 minutes or until the center is done.

My 4 yr old says at dinner today..."How come we're always eating zucchini"...:lol:

Wife made this recipe, DK turned me on to it. It was tasty.

INGREDIENTS

4 cups shredded zucchini
1 onion, chopped
2 eggs, beaten
1 (8.5 ounce) package dry corn muffin mix
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded
DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
In a large bowl mix together the zucchini, onion, eggs, muffin mix, salt and pepper. Stir in 4 ounces of the cheese. Spread this mixture into a greased 2 quart casserole dish; top with remaining 4 ounces of cheese.
Bake in a preheated oven for 60 minutes.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Zucchini-Cornbread-Casserole/Detail.aspx

Food processor. Worked great.

Fish Fried Veggies!

Despite not a lot of rain, our garden is doing pretty well. I'm just really starting to get tomatoes in volume but I've had lots of cucumbers and yellow squash. I picked the first two zucchini yesterday... knew they were finally out there and then forgot them for a day or so... they're the size of my forearm. LOL Trying to use everything up or give it away before it goes bad has been a job! My dad gave me eggplants, so I've been having to figure out how to use it, too.

Anyway, I like to saute the squash with onions but needed a different way to fix them... and the eggplant. This is what I've figured out and thought I'd share:

Cut squash into 3" long sections and then quarter (or whatever it takes to get the 'good' part but remove most of the seeds).
Let it dry on a paper towel and sprinkle with salt.
In a zip-top bag, mix 1/2 and 1/2 flour and fish fry seasoning (what I have is Konriko brand, a mixture of cornmeal, red & black pepper, salt, garlic powder... probably some paprika)
Place veggies in the bag, close and shake to coat with the dry mixture
Fry in a thin layer of olive oil and melted bacon grease in a cast iron skillet.

The squash end up kind of like french fries and disappear about as fast!

For the eggplant, I cut them in half length-wise and then slice. I also dip the slices in a beaten egg before putting them in the bag with the dry mix.

you can also prepare them with whatever rub you want, put them in freezer bags and freeze them for use later. Nice to have them in the winter too!

Eggplant, I have no clue, have eaten it a couple times, not something I would ever fix for myself, just don't suit my palette, so no advice there at all.
As for the zucchini, you can cut off what you want to eat, and let the rest stay and it will continue to grow.

Take the squash/zuke fries, wrap in bacon, then bread them. Fry and then lay over freshly fried crisp bacon plate. Bacon ice cream for desert.

Frying makes everything better, Chip, just like bacon. ;) I've had pretty good eggplant in Italian dishes, but haven't tried to make any myself... although if I changed up the breading mixture, what I've been doing isn't very different from Eggplant Parmesan.

I froze and canned zucchini last year, I use the canned stuff in my spaghetti sauce (I put it through the food processor after I heat it up) and the frozen goes into zucchini bread. :)

Lol as I read the original post I was thinking "What? No Bacon?" But I was too slow.

Hmmm... fried squash, eggplant AND venison tenderloin for supper... maybe not the best idea, all at once, but... you only live once ;)

DUDE< you need a vendor star to pimp your goods here !!! you've been around here long enough !! :flipoff2:

what you talkin bout willis? :lol: im just recommending a company that ive heard has good stuff.... you act like im affiliated :flipoff2:

what you talkin bout willis? :lol: im just recommending a company that ive heard has good stuff.... you act like im affiliated :flipoff2:

Actually, reading the history was pretty interesting, a little more knowledge of the JoCo area is always good.

Back