ZJ Front to rear swap

Jeepjunky87

I figured this is the best place to start. I'm thinking about keeping the 95 limited that's not selling and if I do I want to do the "front to rear swap" in hopes of getting close to 4" of lift. 95% street 5% pushing the limits of mild off road.

Current shopping list: 3.5 lift coils for front, adjustable track bars front and rear, tj front break lines (maybe), 3-4" longer shocks, ole emu steering stabilizer....I have the spacers to level it out...

I want to do this as cheap as possible (too many kids and a wife you know how it goes) but still have a DD that I can let the wife drive and not hear any complaints.

What am I missing? Has anyone done this and had good/bad results? Any other cheap alternatives? Any other advice would be appreciated.

Sway bar end links is something you are missing. Other than that looks pretty complete. Stick with adjustable track bars and stay away from the rear drop brackets. Any specific questions shoot me a a PM and I can see if I can help.

Clay Thanks for the reply and pm's I wish you were right down the road so I could pick your brain in person! I was inspired by white noise I think this should be named project black powder :sniper:

Does anyone know if there are "junk yard" spring form other SUVs or trucks that will fit and give me 3-4" in the front? I'm just wondering...
Anyone got some cheap parts laying around takin up space?

Last edited:
No problem man, hope I helped.

Check out NAGCA.com, I think there are a few people there that have used other stock coils, maybe a f150 if I remember correctly

This is me collecting info I've found so I can have it all in one place. I know the link this guy posted is for an xj but he did the same on his zj. And the spring rate info is helpful.

OP:
I am using ford thunderbird front springs to lift the front of my ZJ around 3.5"
*here is where I found out about this:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/t...-lift-1190740/
*and here is some info I found on the springs:
*Front coil springs from a 3.8 V6 equipped Ford Thunderbird/Cougar offer 3-4in of lift and the softer ones noted below ride and flex like stock XJ coils.
*83-88 TBird, Cougar = more lift
89-97 TBird, Cougar = less lift
*Spring ratings:
Front: 223-282 lb./in. 3.8 liter V6 *closest to XJ ratings* these coils are used on the bare bones basic cars
Front: 349-403 lb./in. 3.8 liter SC Loaded with every option, very stiff ride
Front: 270-330 lb./in V8 Medium ride

Last edited:
Curb weightI6: 3,574 lb (1,621 kg)
V8: 3,901 lb (1,769 kg)
props to big clay for recommend comparing zj ^ to other springs when lookin for springs from the junkyard

83-88 cougar
Curb weight3050–3500 lb (1400–1600 kg)

Curb weight3,536 lb (1,604 kg) (1989 V6 model)
3,725 lb (1,690 kg) (1995 V8 model)
^^t-bird
RANCHO COIL SPRINGS, POWDERCOATED RED, SET OF 2 -- 240 lbs./in. spring rate, 18 in. free length, 0.625 in. wire size; Helps provide 2-3 in. of front lift; Shot peened for durability;
In my opinion, if I went hunting for a set of t-bird springs I would look for the 83-88 with a V8.... Based on the info I have so far
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&VN=4294962346&PN=0 3543 4294898638&Ntt=jeep coil springs&Nr=AND(universal:0)&Ntk=Main&No=0&Npp=10

This is the web site I got the rancho add (above) from and the have good prices on new springs/kits

Last edited:
Xj 5.5" RE front lift springs $70 used
RE extended sway bar link $30/pair new
Adj. track bars _____
Tj brake lines ________
Steering stabilizer Monroe (mostly street driven)$25 new
Shocks_______

Last edited:
Ok I also got this piece of advice V8 springs front and rear +2" spring spacers = almost 3" of lift on a zj with a 4.0L. The guy I spoke to was running 31's maybe a little trimming but same ride quality as stock. I will post more info on this as I get it.

I doubt you will get any lift from V8 springs because they are the same as the 4.0 springs. The 4.0 and 5.2 weigh almost the same, and the part number for the springs are identical. The only factory springs that will give you any lift are those from a jeep with the "up country" package; they were about 1" taller.

Maybe that's what 'theredzj' used... I'm currently asking him for more info. Not the route I'm going to go but I figured I'd post the info in case there are fellow zjer's out there wondering about other lift options out there that have been used. He said the v8's gave him an extra 3/4".... Prob up county's

he may have gotten 3/4" of lift from non-up country springs, but i would venture to guess his old springs had just sagged by that amount.

Back