ZJ front shock mounting

Chris_M

Now that the longarms are installed, tested and the springs have settled, i need longer shocks to acomodate the droop that the arms are capable of. I installed 28" brakelines, so I'm good there, But I'd like 14" travel shocks. The problem is I can't find any shock the has a short enough compressed length to fit in the stock location.
Is there any reason i can't move the lower shock mount to the control arm, and take it off the axle??? I currently have some Doestech 10" hydraulic shocks that work great, but are way too short.

thats what i did im using 10" shocks i raised the mount 2" but u may want to go 3" as i still have 2" of shock left with a 35 stuffed hard id say unbolt lowers and flex it out to where u want it to go and then measure both sides then find a a leingth u are happy with . on my rear i have my axle mounts center on tube. i dont ever lift tires and its very stable on side hills but it sits low springs have settled alot in the past 3 years so im at about 5" lift now
ai284.photobucket.com_albums_ll35_novacayne75_100_1072.jpg

10" shocks fit fine, but limit the droop, i want a 12 or preferably, a 14" shock. even with 12" i think it will still max out before the spring unseats, don't want that, I want more than enough shock travel, to the point of needing limiting straps, and bump stop it to stop uptravel with about 1" shock left (for those hard hits that fully compress the bumpstop)

I would need to do the opposite of what you did. I think i might cutoff that portion o the spring perch and make my own lower mounts.

BTW from your sig, I've got basically the same drivtrain combo, but an 4.6 stroker, AX15 and 456 gears, I get 14 MPG in town, and 20 on the highway if i keep it 65 MPH and under, at a steady 80MPH, i still get about 16MPG. I think you need a good tune up, or maybe I'm just that lucky 35's and a ZJ doesn't have to be bad mileage

compress it until rear tire lifts then see how much shock travel is left going up . i have been their done that if u want to change shocks DONT USE 14". 12" is a good length if u want to not move them and you will be happy. trust me u dont need more travel than that if u have a lp 30 it will bind joints on droop and with a hp 30 i puts the ds into the tranny.also the stock drag link may pop the ball out. and as for gas mi i had to run 3.73 for a while and gas sucked cause it was always to the floor now i have 4.88's and avg.is 13 and i check at every tank in hope that it may get betteri wish i could do a stroker but i cant justify pulling eng at this time. what is your eng set up cause im gomma try to round up parts or im gonna do a turbo.---------------here is some shots of mine twisted and like i said i have never needed more flex
ai284.photobucket.com_albums_ll35_novacayne75_100_0729_1.jpg

ai284.photobucket.com_albums_ll35_novacayne75_100_0728_1.jpg

not bad for a dd and it rides great

Back