YJ stretch

BIGWOODY

Yes, I'm sure it's been covered many times but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. Currently I have a YJ SOA on stock springs , 3" body lift, tons and 37s. I need to lose the 3" body lift but can't without stretching the wheel base just a bit to keep the front of the rear tire off the tub (I'm assuming that's why the PO installed the ridiculous 3" body lift). I know I can get a bumper with shackles and run XJ rear springs but will probably have to cut a good bit of the tub to do so. Front waggy springs can be turned around and used on the rear to stretch a couple of inches, which I think would give me the clearance I'm looking for. The tub on this jeep is nice, original paint, no rust , not beat to hell so I really don't want to cut it up or if I do, very minimal. I'm sure I'd have remove the fuel tank and put a behind the seat fuel cell like I've got in my other YJ. So, has anyone done this? Did it allow enough stretch to use stock body mounts or even 1" body lift?

I did the 2" stretch front and rear with waggy springs (SUA). It works to move the tire away from the body like you want to do. You will have minimum cutting in the rear which you may be able to cover up with TJ fender flares. However, I plan to move away from waggy springs this winter. On average I bend a spring once a year, and replacements are getting harder to find. I plan to move to XJ springs and/or HD aftermarket XJ springs this winter, and move my spring mounts to were I want them.

Waggy springs are your easiest option, imo, like @Dawnpatrol mentioned. But just as he said, the bend pretty easily. I ended up with double main leafs and had clamps at the game mount side and it made it better.

Use these. Keep stock YJ springs. Waggy have a really thin/weak main leaf.
Shouldn’t have to move tank. But maybe a little.

I used those spring perches from RuffStuff. Worked out great for me. Running YJ leaves up front with two mains.

Wagoneer springs. 1 inch stretch perches. 35 inch tires. Total stretch 3 inches. I know it has a body lift but you can see the stock fender opening will clear a 35.

Attachments

• 20221126_121846.jpg
    20221126_121846.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Anyone used xj rear springs, motobuilt stretch fuel tank with a 14bt? I've got the tank and am considering doing xj springs , but not sure if the 14bt will clear the tank. I asked their tech and didn't really get a straight answer.

Anyone used xj rear springs, motobuilt stretch fuel tank with a 14bt? I've got the tank and am considering doing xj springs , but not sure if the 14bt will clear the tank. I asked their tech and didn't really get a straight answer.
Any opposition to running a motobilt behind the back seat? They make a sweet yj tank

I ran the motobilt stretch kit and XJ springs on the first version of my YJ. It rode like crap and I chased down as many paths as I could to soften it up but in the end it went to coilovers.

I can’t speak if the 14 both will clear the tank but my rear 60 would clear that area until it got the truss and link mounts. I didn’t run the stretch tank with the XJ springs but I do remember there being a decent amount of room.

I'm running xj's in the rear of my CJ7 and waggys up front. I have a d60 up front and a 14 bolt in the rear. There was no way the 14 bolt would clear the factory 20 gallon tank. Looked at a factory 15 gal tank but never pulled the trigger on it because it didn't look possible either. Got a 15 gal fuel cell in the back.

The rear xj's where rough so I pulled the pack apart and added some yj leaves in and reduced the number of leaves. Seemed to work well but never as soft as the soa yj's I had on before. Definitely need an anti wrap bar for this.

I took two leaves out of the 7 leaf pack waggys up front and had to add an anti wrap bar up front too.

This rig is my son's daily driver and he runs 35" falken MT's daily but we swap in the 42" TSL's for the trails. No sway bars, psc assist, and it works well. I frequently commute to work with it at a 150 mile round trip, then switch to the swampers load it on the trailer and go drive over stuff in the woods.

Only advise: go big, cut the sheet metal, don't look back, and have fun. If you ever wanted to go back to stock you can buy front fenders cheap and the rear of the tub is flat so it's super easy to weld it back in. I kept all the body pieces for mine thinking I was nuts cutting up a solid CJ7 tub, but I don't regret it. It's a much better driver in all circumstances now than it was when it was stock.

Build thread is on the forum, let me know if you want any specific pics

I currently have the stock springs with the center pin drilled 2" back , but have considered doing the XJ springs , if they ride worse than SOA YJ springs, i'll probably pass on doing them. Again, my only question is do I have room to run the XJ springs with a 14bt and the motobuilt stretch tank?

I currently have the stock springs with the center pin drilled 2" back , but have considered doing the XJ springs , if they ride worse than SOA YJ springs, i'll probably pass on doing them. Again, my only question is do I have room to run the XJ springs with a 14bt and the motobuilt stretch tank?

No one here has this exact combo so there isn't a clear cut answer.

Should clear and some of us know your love of 9” rear axles:lol:
@BIGWOODY

XJ springs move the axle back 6" I think? You could go that route, then use some kind of offset perches like @Van-go posted to move it 1-2" FORWARD for only a 4" or 5" stretch. I would think the tank should work with a 4" stretch.

XJ springs move the axle back 6" I think? You could go that route, then use some kind of offset perches like @Van-go posted to move it 1-2" FORWARD for only a 4" or 5" stretch. I would think the tank should work with a 4" stretch.
That’s what I did on mine. Didn’t have to comp cut the rear completely.

Should clear and some of us know your love of 9” rear axles:lol:
@BIGWOODY
I like a LP 9"....I just got tired of funding the R&D dept. at True hi9.

And this is my goal...My other YJ is fully comp cut and it looks like total ass.
A comp cut YJ screams redneck who cannot afford a buggy. Functional and fugly. Nothing about is says design or form. It screams beat and flog me so you can hide me in the corner of the shop when done.

Back