Yj roll bar in a cj-5?

GregW

I have a 1994 yj with a sport roll bar. I have found someone who will trade me for a family roll bar. He wants to put the sport roll bar in a cj-5. I "think" it will work. Anybody ever put a yj sport roll bar in a cj-5?

Thanks,

greg

The only thing I could suggest is to measure the inside of your CJ5 tub where your roll bar mounts, and then measure the YJ's roll bar. I'm thinking it'll be to wide, then measure the lower (under the seats) mounting area to the back area on the fenders and make sure it'll fit. Remember you can always customize the YJ's :rolleyes: Later T.J.

I have a 94 sport bar in my 80 cj7 ....bolted right througn the same holes .....I suspect the year of your CJ5 is more the issue....(76+ will prolly fit) , also, you may have to trim the windshield tie bars if you plan on using those.
cheers
Steve

There's a little more work involved. While they will bolt into a CJ-7 pretty easily, I don't think it will bolt into a CJ-5 because the 5 bars bolt to the wheel house. the 7 and Wranglers do bolt to the wheel house, but the front hoop bolts to the floorboard behind the front seats. There isn't much room behind the seats on a 5.

X2 on what Ray said. A 5 has little room as it is, if you put the sport bar behind the seat, you had better be 5'2" and 90lbs.

There's a little more work involved. While they will bolt into a CJ-7 pretty easily, I don't think it will bolt into a CJ-5 because the 5 bars bolt to the wheel house. the 7 and Wranglers do bolt to the wheel house, but the front hoop bolts to the floorboard behind the front seats. There isn't much room behind the seats on a 5.

not much bearing on this thread, I just wanted to point out that 76-79 CJ-7 rollbars mounted on the wheelhousings also. :beer:

Their is some mis-information here. Up to 79 they all bolt to the wheel well. In 80 and up, regardless of what type cj, the front bar ties to the floor. It was that way in my 1980 CJ5 and the bars are completely the same between a 7 and a 5.

Their is some mis-information here. Up to 79 they all bolt to the wheel well. In 80 and up, regardless of what type cj, the front bar ties to the floor. It was that way in my 1980 CJ5 and the bars are completely the same between a 7 and a 5.

Yeah, I've seen that in a friends 79 CJ5 too...

J

FWIW my 76 and 77 CJ7s dont bolt to the wheel house at all.
instead they bolt through the body sides....

Back