Yet another Unbreakable Fab project

gtrobb

I've had Blue (yep, I know - original name) for a little over a year, and she's a rolling scrapbook of NCTTORA's 2006 season. I got the pickup from Nate (who is in the middle of a wicked 2nd gen buildup himself), and completed the SAS at UnbreakableFab late last year. The hi-steer and front springs came from Justin's GoldRunner after its frame passed the point of recovery at Tellico, I got the SR5 buckets, dual cases and 4.7s from Jake's TacoBuggy after Harlan, several of the guys went in and got me an Aussie for the front - and had a pretty young lady deliver it to me at work but that's a whole other story - and the list goes on. Well, on to the pics...I've gone through two beds - and kept both of them well beyond their useful lifespan - and now she's finally getting a flatbed and some protection.
We're moving along pretty well - two evenings so far, and another 2 sticks of tube and she should be in pretty good shape. A big thanks to Justin, to Cody and Zack for stopping by and helping out, and to Jamie and Jason for the texting comic relief.
The curve hugs the cab very well, and we extended the uppermost curve to stick out just a little more as that corner would experience the brunt of any significant rollover at this point. We're not done yet - we still have the floor supports, side rail supports, and down tubes just to name a items, but man, I am so pumped...it's looking as good and as solid as I could have imagined.
The assembly is just sitting on the frame at this point - Justin wants to complete the entire tubing structure before we permanently attach it to the frame.
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f19_gtrobb_RearCorner.jpg

ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f19_gtrobb_Rear_2.jpg

ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f19_gtrobb_SideView_1.jpg

ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f19_gtrobb_SideCurve.jpg

ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f19_gtrobb_Corner.jpg

Nice work.. my guess is you'll wish it was dovetailed to the width of the frame, but to each his own...

Props to Justin again for another sweet Class A build. Everyone better subscribe to this thread because its off the chains. This bed is getting gangsta with every minute!

We accomplished a lot more tonight...Cody and Stretch came around and helped a LOT...I looked up from the grinder one time and all four of us were working on completely separate sections.
Well, here we go:
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f19_gtrobb_2Rear.jpg

ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f19_gtrobb_2Corner.jpg

We still need to support the center area of the main hoop:
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f19_gtrobb_2Half.jpg

The rear profile is completely flush all the way across:
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f19_gtrobb_2Flush.jpg

Side view:
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f19_gtrobb_2Side.jpg

Here's an example of the inner support that will be added at the tail:
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f19_gtrobb_2TailPiece.jpg

Thanks a lot guys...there was a TON of work completed tonight and I really appreciate it.

Damnit the pic wont work here at school. I want to cry...

I like the full width myself. Looks good, very functional, trail friendly, and you'll still have a bed to haul stuff. Tied into a body EXO and you're set.

I like the full width myself. Looks good, very functional, trail friendly, and you'll still have a bed to haul stuff. Tied into a body EXO and you're set.

Exactly. The outer rails bend in just at the back outside corner of the tire with the BFGs in the pics on 3.75" or so BS wheels...my 36 TSLs are on 2.5", so the tire will still be the "first point of contact". And Rich has a very valid point - I also like the dovetail effect - couldn't ask for anything better on a dedicated trail rig - but storage and DOT concerns outweighed it on this project. Plans are in the works for a coordinating winch-capable front bumper/fender protection/slider package, but that will be later in the year...we'll see how far the exo idea gets as we get further along on ideas for the front.

But thanks for all of the comments - I do appreciate the feedback. I hope to have some shots of the completed tail light panels and toolbox later this weekend, with some good shots from Harlan following next weekend.

nice work, thats one of the nicer toy beds I've seen and I've looked at ton of them trying to get some ideas for mine.
BTW the main hoop that goes around the cab looks good, we have 10 bends in mine so I can appriciate the effort that it took to make it look right.

Looking good.. thats one of the few tube beds that I like.

Do you think you'll have any visibility issues with the brake lights being at an angle like that?

Looking good.. thats one of the few tube beds that I like.

Do you think you'll have any visibility issues with the brake lights being at an angle like that?

visibility from the cab or the lights being visible to others?

Back