YATFR: The science of wood

marty79

Remember those pictures from the snow when a bunch of those buildings made from exhaust pipe collapsed? Yeahhh..
Your point being....I despise them cheap ass buildings as well. I'm all for pole barns but $24k dang, I could build one for hmmm mine cost 4600 start to finish concrete pad and all. Built by myself, passed code and all. That's my point

Your point being....I despise them cheap ass buildings as well. I'm all for pole barns but $24k dang, I could build one for hmmm mine cost 4600 start to finish concrete pad and all. Built by myself, passed code and all. That's my point

Where did you get your concrete his shop has more then 4K worth of concrete in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullshit. The concrete material cost alone is half your budget.

Bullshit. The concrete material cost alone is half your budget.

Ya I’m looking at opinions now and I don’t think he could even get the slab done for that with renting grading equipment and materials

Two insulated garage doors would cost most of that...not to mention just the concrete itself would be a little over 3000 if they just pulled up and dumped it on the ground.

Was the last building built out of new materials or stuff that was scrounged up and leftover?

@kaiser715 How big is your building?

Ya I’m looking at opinions now and I don’t think he could even get the slab done for that with renting grading equipment and materials

I did grading myself with shovel lol. 1.5weeks of digging, concrete was $1750 $2800 materials plus metal tin was $880. Few odd and ends but thaose are prices I remember.

Two insulated garage doors would cost most of that...not to mention just the concrete itself would be a little over 3000 if they just pulled up and dumped it on the ground.

Was the last building built out of new materials or stuff that was scrounged up and leftover?

@kaiser715 How big is your building?
42x60.

Half the size it should be.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My 34x40x13.5' with 34x20 shed came in around $15k with me doing everything myself except concrete and the roof. Should have done the roof, since I ended up redoing it. Concrete was the biggest single cost at about $5k. Trusses we're $700 off Craigslist, so that alone saved me about $2000. The rest was in lumber, tin, doors, and the material to build my sliding/rolling door. I don't see how I could have done it cheaper other than doing the roof myself and doing the concrete myself (which definitely would have been a mistake!).

nice shop, looks good. same size almost that mine was. $24k? Holy cow. I need to switch careers and get into building these for mine and yalls sake!!
I really appreciate how little you value your time. My neighbor has a 1/4 finished steel building kit, and I bet he would gladly pay you $15/hr to come finish it for him.

I really appreciate how little you value your time. My neighbor has a 1/4 finished steel building kit, and I bet he would gladly pay you $15/hr to come finish it for him.
Haha try $25 an hour

don't see how I could have done it cheaper other than doing the roof myself
Build your own trusses. They'll be way cheaper and way stronger than the ones with them crappy little metal spiked plates.

I do realize metal roofing has gone way up since 7yrs ago

Build your own trusses. They'll be way cheaper and way stronger than the ones with them crappy little metal spiked plates.
Man you are good at proving my points. You're telling me I could build a 34ft steel truss for under $100 including material, paint, and hardware? Heck, wood trusses cost more than that 5 years ago.

I guess I just don't understand the science of metals.

Man you are good at proving my points. You're telling me I could build a 34ft steel truss for under $100 including material, paint, and hardware? Heck, wood trusses cost more than that 5 years ago.

I guess I just don't understand the science of metals.
Wasn't aware you got metal trusses. Then I saw you got em used for 700.

YAFTR? Yall aught to f'n read?

I went to ncsu for forestry management a few decades back. I took classes like dendrology. I clicked thinking cool a thread i can learn something. Cause ive probably forgot most of it.

I didnt.

I did grading myself with shovel lol. 1.5weeks of digging, concrete was $1750 $2800 materials plus metal tin was $880. Few odd and ends but thaose are prices I remember.
What size concrete pad did you have poured?

So you made your own site built trusses, presumably without an engineering stamp for the truss design (that would cost money), and it passed inspection (is that what you meant by "passed code")?
Someone please educate me here; can you actually make a site-built truss and not have any engineering approval, and actually meet building code? Is this just because it's a pole barn and no one really cares if it falls on you?

The "crappy little metal spiked plates" are part of an engineered truss system, and based on that alone I would trust them more than your site built truss. I know you have an unnaturally high confidence in your own abilities (and an unnaturally high desire to save money at the expense of almost everything else of importance), but I don't really see the cost savings in building your own from site-built methods without any actual engineering, versus buying a engineered and approved truss system.

Maybe I'm just being overcautious because I don't have a background/education in truss design or construction. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have a background in truss design. It's possible some back woods counties may still approve of site built trusses but the majority would not. Most commercially manufacturered trusses aren't that expensive, unless you're getting into a cut up roof design or wanting an attic truss. A straight run of trusses is quick and easy to build. Mecklenburg and surrounding counties require sealed truss drawings. When I built my 900 SF garage, the slab was $6800 by itself. I've got a little under $30k total in it. That's with an attic, exterior stairs, vinyl siding and widows, 30 yr architectural shingles, insulation, drywall, and HVAC.

Last edited:
So you made your own site built trusses, presumably without an engineering stamp for the truss design (that would cost money), and it passed inspection (is that what you meant by "passed code")?
Someone please educate me here; can you actually make a site-built truss and not have any engineering approval, and actually meet building code? Is this just because it's a pole barn and no one really cares if it falls on you?

The "crappy little metal spiked plates" are part of an engineered truss system, and based on that alone I would trust them more than your site built truss. I know you have an unnaturally high confidence in your own abilities (and an unnaturally high desire to save money at the expense of almost everything else of importance), but I don't really see the cost savings in building your own from site-built methods without any actual engineering, versus buying a engineered and approved truss system.

Maybe I'm just being overcautious because I don't have a background/education in truss design or construction. :rolleyes:
I would rather be in a burning house with hand built trusses than one with engineered stamp and plates. Assuming they are built properly of course.

I would rather be in a burning house with hand built trusses than one with engineered stamp and plates. Assuming they are built properly of course.

That's fine, I'm not defending metal plates, only the fact they are part of an engineered assembly. There's nothing wrong with site built trusses, assuming proper design/engineering and construction. Any method is fine, as long as it's engineered properly; I have no dog in that fight. Not an argument I care about.

That's not what we're talking about here though, we're talking about about Fuller-designed, Fuller-built, non-engineered, non-approved trusses.

Last edited:
Back