XJ hybrid cage build

Thanks for the new compliments. this is the type of work we will be doing in the new shop. Anyone needing any work give us a shout!

As far as a bar going from the roof bar down the D pillar, all that would do would get caught on trees and stuff. I do however have some more work to do on it once my axle swap is done. The wheel base is getting stretched so the rear bumper is getting redone and there will be a "fender" bar on each side to follow the new wheel opening. It will act as a side slider.

ai190.photobucket.com_albums_z249_99ncxj_xj_20axle_20swap_jeeppics022.jpg

My paintbrush skills suck, but this is a basic idea. There will be two short sections that pierce the body pannel and tie directly into the C and D pillars inside the cargo area. This way i can put all the weight of the vehichle on the "fender" bars and they won't deflect into the body.

ai190.photobucket.com_albums_z249_99ncxj_xj_20axle_20swap_jeeppics0221.jpg

Looks Great. . .I may be stealing some ideas for my exo-cage. . .

I'm with Dave, I think it's gonna leak either way... but if you can, I'd weld it to the sheet metal, THEN silicone it anyway.
I'd bet that w/o the welds, you'll have small bits of body flex (normal) causing the hole to slide along the bar. Not much, but it'd only take like 1/8" or more to break a silicone bead, then it would leak.

i realize this is more than likely to late, but how about some of the seam sealer crap used to seal up car trunks? know what i mean?

I acually just put some RTV sealant on it. I was heading to TN for a ride at Mountain city and realized i hadn't sealed them up yet so i just ran a bead of that around them. Been like that now for several months and still doesn't leak. I'll probably dig it out one day and finish it right.

Back