XJ Headliner replacement

jeepinmatt

..l.
New to me XJ needs the headliner replaced. Is this an easy DIY job, or take it to a pro? I don’t mind doing the work to pull the headliner. Once it’s out, it seems easy enough to clean and slap some glue and fabric on it, but I’ve never done anything like this, so maybe it’s a lot more difficult than it seems.

Head liner is easy it just makes a mess scrapping the old foam off. I would go to your local upholstery store and get quality material along with glue. Since the headliner is curved do not stretch the material too much or it will sag again very quickly. You can also look into putting sound deadening on the roof to help improve the noise inside the cab and to insulate it.

New to me XJ needs the headliner replaced. Is this an easy DIY job, or take it to a pro? I don’t mind doing the work to pull the headliner. Once it’s out, it seems easy enough to clean and slap some glue and fabric on it, but I’ve never done anything like this, so maybe it’s a lot more difficult than it seems.
Hardest parts getting it out… and the worst is getting all the foam off under the material. Get plenty of material to wrap around the top to prevent it from having edges fall

Is it ok to shoot sheetmetal screws through the roof with a fender washer if it starts to sag again? I'm coming from a TJ, so not sure what the answer is :D

Is it ok to shoot sheetmetal screws through the roof with a fender washer if it starts to sag again? I'm coming from a TJ, so not sure what the answer is :D
Honestly there are supports you could shoot a short self tapper into. With mine being cut into three pieces to fit around my cage. The centers of two sections are screwed to the supports.

I had the best success cleaning off all of the foam and then coating it with epoxy resin. It helped firm it up. Then I did the high dollar adhesive spray and worked it in. Finding good headliner fabric is helpful too.

Good luck with the built in speakers. Those are tricky.

Hardest parts getting it out… and the worst is getting all the foam off under the material.
Guy on reddit said these plastic brushes were the hot ticket:

(and who wouldn't wanna buy from Hoe Lik Me?)

Sometimes a job is easier left to a Professional, & worth the money. There's a local guy around here that does them. I'd have to make a call to get his name/number.
Found him! Perry's Headliner @ 704-460-2929. He works at Freightliner, & does the Headliners, part time. He's renting a shop for now on Hickory Grove Rd., near Perfection Rd. intersection. He'll give you a good job at a great price!

Last edited:
If the glue comes out of an aerosol can it is temporary. Weldwood landau top adhesive is the only thing to use for headliners. You must be careful not to delaminate the backer board or you will have dips that will show under the material.

Not an XJ, but did the headliner in my old Foxbody... typical foam delaminating from the fabric.
Used a VERY LIGHT wire cup to remove the foam/dust from the board, new material (had NO foam) from Joanne's fabric(?), and 3m "Super 77" (or whatever was more "heavy-duty")...

Looked excellent (subjective) and was still holding fine after a couple years of windows down/100 mile commutes...

Welp, y'all've convinced me I need a professional to do this. Someone who can handle aggravating things and upholstery. Sounds like a job for my wife! :laughing:

Take the headliner out and give it to the shop. The removal and install are easy. Getting the glue right… well, yes you can do it, but…

If you do change your mind and do it yourself, spray both mated surfaces and let it sit until not wet, but still tacky.

Again, for a quality job, let someone else do it.

L&L or L&M in gastonia did the headliner in lane's K5 and charged me $150 labor and I brought him all materials...plus like $25 for shop supplies and adhesive. Took him less than an hour. Best 4150 I ever spent.

That was a few years ago - but same dudes refoamed my Tundra seat last year for $200...I think they just havent been caught by the inflation bug yet.

L&L or L&M in gastonia did the headliner in lane's K5 and charged me $150 labor and I brought him all materials...plus like $25 for shop supplies and adhesive. Took him less than an hour. Best 4150 I ever spent.

That was a few years ago - but same dudes refoamed my Tundra seat last year for $200...I think they just havent been caught by the inflation bug yet.
These guys?

Or are you thinking of J&J auto upholstery?

J&J thats them!
On New Hope - beside the dog groomer

J&J thats them!
On New Hope - beside the dog groomer
L&L is like J&J backwards, makes sense, haha. I'll definitely give them a call.

Back