XJ 3-Link First-timer

DannyH

smokey burnouts
Hey everyone,

I'm soon starting a build on a project XJ that I want to make into my first full time rock crawler. To start off I plan on doing the usual Uni body reinforcement. I've chosen to go with the 3-link suspension that I am going to start acquiring parts for soon. Can any one give me any good info so I don't miss any critical things on the build? First question is the measurement, I have used the 3 link calculator and the measurements seem right can you guys give me any info on the lengths you got on you build? Second question is will Heim joints be okay for almost all parts of the control arms including the pan-hard bar? Any advice you guys can give me will be GREATLY appreciated. I'm doing everything I possibly can to do this right the first time! Thanks!

After careful re reading, I realized I was thinking of something completely different. Please excuse my previous brain fart.

Last edited:
If you are building a 3 link, and you are going to have a pan hard bar, you will have a radius arm system. If you plan to use heim joints on more than just the panhard (track) bar the set up will not work.
I don't understand what you are trying to say. The way I read it, none of that is true.

Okay so what joints do you recommend? Also I thought that radius arm setup used the y-links. Whats the best for the joints? poly, jonny, etc.. Sorry for posting this in the wrong place...

I have 3/4 heims for my 3rd link, johnny joints for lowers, and 7/8 heims for steering and track bar. You are correct on the radius arm setup. Poly or rubber bushings will absorb some of the "feel" which would be good for a dd but won't flex as well. Heim joints and johnny joints function basically the same. Johnnys are rebuildable but take up a lot more space.

Thank you that was exactly what I was looking for! I was thinking of the same setup , but do you think that Heim joints all the way around would work or would that not give enough control?

Heims will be OK, but they tend to wear a little quicker, be noisier and they are not rebuildable like Johnny Joints or Barnes joints. I would (and have) use JJ or Barnes joints on the lowers, 7/8" heims on the upper and 3/4" or 7/8" for the track bar.

Pay close attention to link lengths, separation, angles and especially the robustness of the frame side upper mount.

I built a 3 link on a ZJ last year using the Barnes Enduro joint. Packaging the upper and getting the track/panhard bar in the right location and relation to the draglink was the toughest part, but overall it wasn't too bad. I would got with those Barnes joints again.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate it! I think I will go with the Barnes on the lower and heims on the upper and track bar, similar to 2 of your setups. I plan on using 3 link calculator and PVC pipe to get my links the correct length and angle, but i wanted to know the best set-up for the joints so I could start finding where to put things.

I'm thinking completely different I guess. Wouldn't a 3 link be the same as a radius arm with a panhard/track bar?

I see what you were thinking there are so many name for different things! this is the suspension I'm thinking of
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/3LINK-COILB.html

Another quick question! I plan on reinforcing my frame so would it be okay to skip building a cross-member and tie it into the frame or should I build the cross member?

Listen to someone who lost an frame side upper mount on a 10' vertical drop during an ECORS race... Tie that upper mount into the "frame". Plate a large area of the frame rail and attach the mount to it. Gusset, gusset, gusset. That frame mount (and axle side too) sees tremendous forces. Mine was 1/4" structural steel welded to a 2 x 4 x 1/4" crossmember gusseted 6 ways to Sunday. And it still failed due to metal fatigue. Welds held, mounts held, but the steel simply peeled off because I didn't spread the load properly.

Ever seen a Dana 60 front pinion yoke broken by the crankshaft? I have!

Listen to someone who lost an frame side upper mount on a 10' vertical drop during an ECORS race... Tie that upper mount into the "frame". Plate a large area of the frame rail and attach the mount to it. Gusset, gusset, gusset. That frame mount (and axle side too) sees tremendous forces. Mine was 1/4" structural steel welded to a 2 x 4 x 1/4" crossmember gusseted 6 ways to Sunday. And it still failed due to metal fatigue. Welds held, mounts held, but the steel simply peeled off because I didn't spread the load properly.

Ever seen a Dana 60 front pinion yoke broken by the crankshaft? I have!

Racking my brain...where was this

I will start ordering parts soon!

Back