Wrangler (TJ) Electrical shop?

Altonymous

Lost Wheelin'
My TJ seems to have some wiring issues. The previous owner either hacked it himself or took it somewhere he shouldn't have. Anyone have a recommendation for a shop that can help me clean things up?

Some issues are...
- Can't pull Engine Light codes, says check connection
- Dome light wire cut
- Headlights work intermittently
- Middle vents don't blow air
- Radiator fan is manual switch would prefer automatic
- CB Radio wiring not working

i can look at it, but you will have to make other arrangements for a few days, it doesn't sound like it's going to be a one day job. call the shop and set up a time when you can drop it off and we will check the simple things first and let you know what we think it is and what it will take to fix it.

I'll back Lee up on the fact jobs like that are not typically quick or cheap fixes. If for no other reason the labor required to chase down each issue.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I know what the issue is on a few of the items.. I'm just not sure about the best way to fix them...

• Can't pull Engine Light codes, says check connection
    • I think I got this one licked. I need to head back to the parts store to give it another shot, I don't have a code reader. This is the one I'm sure you were saying would be hard to track down. I think I was able to do so.
  • Dome light wire cut
    • This is just that a wire cut. I don't have the tool to put it back in the harness.
  • Headlights work intermittently
    • This is a loose connection at the switch. If I wiggle the switch around they will come on.
  • Middle vents don't blow air
    • No idea on this one.
  • Radiator fan is manual switch would prefer automatic
    • Pretty sure just need to wire it up, nothing broken, I just don't like the manual switches.
  • CB Radio wiring not working
    • I haven't started looking at this one, I'm probably just going to pull the existing lines and redo it right.
  • New: Windshield lights aren't coming on
    • Not sure if it's the lights or the wiring, haven't checked it out yet.

I know what the issue is on a few of the items.. I'm just not sure about the best way to fix them..

TJs don't have electric fans stock. Easiest fix here might just be to source a stock fan, fan clutch, fan shroud, etc, and go back to stock.

TJs have a constant-hot and a keyed-hot accessory wire next to the fuse panel behind the glove box in the passenger side of the dash. Each wire is tied to a dedicated fuse in that panel. I would recommend finding those wires and using them for your CB feed. Easier than going back to the battery, and you can pick up a constant-hot, so your radio always works if you're stopping and starting on the trail. Only downside is that you have to remember to turn it off.

Idk if the TJ is like my old f150 (even though I have a tj) but check to see if you have a blown fuse for your check engine light. I used to blow the fuse for my cigarette lighter on my f150 and it was the same fuse for the MIL light (check engine light) and I used to get the same message.

Shawn makes a great point that the TJs never came with an electric fan and I agree with him. Find a junk years and pull everything you need.

As far as your vents go if you need any parts feel free to contact me. I no longer have ac or heat in my tj and am to lazy to try to get it working again so ill gladly take my stuff out and give it to you if you find broken parts

Back