Would You Donate Money To Buy A Uwharrie Trail Patrol Rig?

Would you donate $ for a NC4x4 donated FS trail patrol vehicle?

• NO

Votes: 31 45.6%
  • $5

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • $20

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • $100

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • More than $100

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They do have a UTV, but it was said that they don't like riding it around, and they do not work the weekends often, so they wouldn't be using the vehicle as much as we would like anyway.

maybe Ricky but a UTV would DEFINITELY be more expensve

Are we talking bout like an old xj type beater rig? Kinda was assuming we were talking bout something new/er with a warranty, sorry i never have time to follow anything on the board anymore maybe I should hold off on jumping in the middle of others conversations without reading everything first like a newb . . . :shaking: sorry

pretty sure the idea would be to buy a craiglist special, blown head gasket maybe, do the repairs, few mods, and try to have minimal $$$ in it, and maybe volunteer to handle regular maintenance and help with repairs.

I would be willing to donate the vehicle if others were willing to donate the parts and labor to fix said vehicle. I have a 98 grand cherokee that is already lifted and has a practically new set of 33" BFG's on it. It needs an engine and to be cleaned up. It could use seats and other odds and ends, but its a start. I would think that most of the parts could be supplied through the NC4x4 swap meet for this jeep. Its also old enough that used parts are widely available, so the cost to keep it going for them, should be minor, as I am assuming that we would also have to keep it going for them. If they dont have a buget to buy the vehicle, I am sure that there is no money for repairs.

I would be willing to donate the vehicle if others were willing to donate the parts and labor to fix said vehicle. I have a 98 grand cherokee that is already lifted and has a practically new set of 33" BFG's on it. It needs an engine and to be cleaned up. It could use seats and other odds and ends, but its a start. I would think that most of the parts could be supplied through the NC4x4 swap meet for this jeep. Its also old enough that used parts are widely available, so the cost to keep it going for them, should be minor, as I am assuming that we would also have to keep it going for them. If they dont have a buget to buy the vehicle, I am sure that there is no money for repairs.

Got a 4.0 out of a 95 ZJ, 123k on it, alternator, starter and a few other things have been pulled, but was a good running engine when pulled. Its rotting now because the owner (Close friend of mine) would rather let it sit in the yard then sell it. Sure I could weasel it away from him though for something like this. Not sure if the 95 engine would work for the 98 though.

I'm kinda with Granny on this.

What is the biggest reason the FS needs a patrol vehicle for URE?

I've only been to Ure a couple times but I'm trying to understand the main reasoning behind the need of a donated trail rig.

If it's for ambulance type services I completly understand, fire, rescue, that sort of thing.

But it's for policing shenanigans, has it been that big of a problem? I saw the thread with the FNG that put his yoder in a tree full of beer but we all know that was not someone from this community and I'm pretty sure we won't see him on the trails anymore. Has there been any violence or other incidents?

I'm just trying to look at it from a financial standpoint. I think it would be great PR to have a FS rig out there but it's only fair to put a "rig maintained by volunteers at nc4x4" sticker on it somewhere.

If it does happen I'll be happy to donate a little money for the cause.... but I think it should be outfitted for fire/rescue/recovery services.

Can we get any more info on the main needs for the rig?

If you have ever participated in a workday, you would understand the need for them to patrol. As far as that goes, if you have ever rode the trails at URE you would understand.
The trash is a problem. If it were not for volunteers, they would be in really bad shape. To add to that, beer cans make a large majority of the trash. This translates into less trash on the trails if there were someone patrolling the trails and looking out for irresponsible wheelers drinking on the trails, which BTW would constitute a federal offense, since this is federal land.
While of of this is a problem, it's by far, IMO not the worse problem. The greater problem are the spider trails and illegal by-passes. Erosion is what started all of the Tellico problems, we all know that. Erosion can be controlled on the main trails, but there are no plans for control from run off from the spider trails and illegal by-passes.
IMO a few tickets for destruction of federal land, some vehicles being confiscated, and the word would be out, and the issues would all but go away.

I too would like to know the answers to some of the questions asked.
Who would maintain the donated vehicle?
What Mods would be needed or required?(I have opinions about this)

FWIW, I don't have a dog in this fight. I am simply acting on a request made to me by Ranger Walker.

My question to all the X'ers is, what exactly are you Xing?

That you also have spent 15 years volunteering for the FS and don't see any result of your efforts? Is that why you volunteered? To see what you had done or to help your fellow man?

That your trails are NOT safe from anything... regardless of your efforts, or donations? That may well be the case, but can't never did! So, we should not do anything because it doesn't matter anyway? Sounds like a dangerous path to head down to me.

That "they are undoubtedly squandering more of it as I am typing this... probably more than enough to buy a new Jeep for the FS to ride around in."? We all know that this in fact the case! The point is that the FS is prohibited by their own regulations to modify any of the vehicles that they own, they don't own a vehicle capable of traversing the trails, therefore they cannot patrol the trails properly, therefore they cannot properly maintain the trails, therefore the trails need to be closed! This is the sort of logic the FS follows. And to imply that the FS emplyoees at Uwharrie just want a vehicle to ride around in is in direct opposition to all of the platitudes given as to what good, capable folks the current Uwharrie FS personnel are!

There's more but I'm not going there. Like Granny, I'm tired from all the years that we have seemingly fought the FS for what is mandated by their managing agency (USDA) as our right to OHV recreation! But here's some news for 'em, I'M NOT GIVING UP!

It's kind of a fawked-up strategy.

1. I like the folks at UNF, I think they do a good job.
2. I hate the bureaucrats in the USDA and elsewhere in the Fed Gov't.
3. Therefore, I will punish the Feds and the USDA by making sure that the local UNF guys don't have the resources or assistance necessary to do their jobs.

Let me know how that one works out.

John, I think there are some big questions that we still need answered so that we can decide how best to proceed. But I think it's a solid idea. And fawk it, I can chip in Granny's share plus some. ;)

My donation would be conditional. I would expect at least a request for a trail worthy in the FS budget to remedy the issue long term. And for our efforts to be the short term solution.
A new power wagon needs only 35"s to go on any trail at URE. Without mods its got lockers, winch etc and can pull out or carry what need done. If a mere presence is needed then only a 4x4 mule would work. I do understand their budget might be an issue but there are plenty of new vehicles that can hit all the trails stock. It's only URE!

I'M NOT GIVING UP!

That's what I like to hear. I am not giving up either.

In all honesty what could be hurt by donating some time or money to this project? In my opinion there is nothing bad that could come out of it. At worst, the vehicle is not used, or is broken and not fixed, or what? In my opinion even if these happen it is worth a try and worth a few of my dollars and hours of my time. I love four wheeling at URE and I am one of the newbs in this sport. I have written countless letters (not emails) to try and save Tellico. I know Tellico will probably never reopen, but if I didn't write those letters, then what would stop them from closing another park like URE?

The attitude of "what's the point, why bother" is what is killing this country in my opinion.

If you don't care enough about this sport to throw a few dollars or a couple hours towards this project then that is fine, but please don't complain when trails get closed because people are not staying on the clearly marked trails.

No one is forcing anyone to contribute, and no one is saying that you have to post in this thread.

This post is not directed towards anyone specific, this is just me venting.

[/rant]

The govt has enough money; some areas spend wastefully and then the tax payers get the tab for the second time for the same meal. We “give at the office” so to speak. She works 6 days a week, I work 5-6. I’m sorry but I fail to see why I would be ask to provide more money to a federal program when I pay taxes every time I make a trip to work or a trip to wheel at URE. They (the USFS) can provide adequate transportation for their own employees to do their job, not me. Again, not trying to sound negative and if that’s what it sounds like so be it. Just my thoughts.

Fact is it’s the government responsibility to make sure their employees do their job, not me. Maybe they can implement a pilot program on health and wellness. The URE USFS workers can walk the trails like rangers do in many other districts such as Yellowstone, BLM lands etc. Not all area's in national parks, etc This would save the federal government funds right? At the same time this increases their cardiovascular health, reduces stress or say dependence on tax payer funded vehicles?

Again I think I had stated before, its Forest Service not desk service or sit in your suburban at the Outpost service and make phone calls service and shoot the shit with locals for 45 min service…. If these guys are too soft to get out and walk or ride a quad in a little rain then they should find new work. The government has enough of my money. If others are rich enough to provide for others shares that’s great. They can pay my share too I guess. Its not a why bother attitude it’s a where has the money gone question? As for the trash at URE. I spent one weekend there; never saw one single piece of trash on the trail. Saw trash at the campground but none on the trail. Saw a rover that busted his window on a trail, the guys went so far as to shovel the dirt up into trash bags as to not miss any to be left on the trail.

"In order to do that Ranger Walker needs a rig capable of getting out on the trails. She cannot do that on her own"
- again why can this not be done on a quad or side by side? have yet to see or hear a reason for this? make zero sense to me. hell if its good enough for the us boarder protection guys to ride quads it should be good enought for little old URE or are they too good for that?

you musta had your eyes closed if you never saw a piece of trash. we did clean up Dutch John this past weekend. Had about 4 bags of trash when we were done. Mostly beer cans, but a few mirrors and even a heep fender. I would love to be able to have a volunteer ride along, where the ranger could ride with someone and put some kind of vinyl sticker on the vehicle to designate it as a patrol vehicle. no maintenance or other costs. seems like the best solution. a donated vehicle would have a very short life, as it would not be maintained and the gov't has NO money (it is all borrowed) and I don't want higher taxes either. you would think the FS would have an old power wagon fire vehicle or something that they could get ahold of somewhere.

Is there something already in place where a citizen can report trail abuse or drinking? everyone we ran across were in line and were very nice, but it would be good to be able to weed out the bad apples.

Ride-alongs are the only way to go. They don't need to be out there every week but if a park ranger rode around with someone every once in awhile that would do alot. Donating a vehicle is a waste of time/money/effort, unless you plan to maintain it, even then I am sure they have "rules" about taking stuff like that, they'd have to license/insure it, etc. Have you ever seen the state buy a used vehicle (not often if ever), this makes me think they would not accept a used vehicle to use as such. They sell/auction off their old vehicles, so an old Jeep Cherokee wouldn't last long in the fleet (if they would even accept one).

I am with the other people that say they should ride the ATV's or sxs's that they already have. I have seen rangers on ATV's there before, just because they don't "like" to ride them why does that matter? I wish I had a different work van, ya'll want to donate one?

This is not to say a vehicle should not be donated, if you could work the specifics of it, the state will accept it, and it will be maintained at least as good as what they already have then I don't see it as something that should not be done. I just don't see that they would use it, mainly based on insurance problems. That would be a big lawsuit if the state accepted a vehicle that was 15 years old, then the front axle broke out of it and killed a ranger driving it, they couldn't go back to the manufacturer at that point to sue them, thats probably a reason they always buy new vehicles every few years.

Hey you are all forgetting something...Government money is OUR MONEY! Now the Gov't probably ain't going to pony up here. Debra has asked for US to donate a rig. When and where else can you donate YOUR tax money and see that it's used as YOU wish?

I've seen Side by sides go through URE trails that were owned by the FS

So i'm confused why you would need a full rig to patrol....you dont need to play around on kodiak rock you just need to patrol....

I would donate but , i find this to be a waste of funds

Absolutely no reason for a Full size rig to patrol.

Back