Will they ever pave the FS roads ?

Vulcan Classic

Went camping at Badin Lake CG and the dust was horrible! Why can't the USFS pave some of the access roads? It's downright unhealthy. I'd gladly pay higher fees if that's what it would take. Just askin!

Not being a a** at all but if you want paved roads maybe you should stay at the campgrounds at the beach or the mountains. Paving the road in uwharrie would take everything away from the place. Just my .02

The cost to do so would be way high and money is not something they have a surplus of. There's a back way in to group cap that you only have to drive a little bit on gravel.

Like everyone else has said. Money. That is the issue. But I do know that the roads will be getting some help here soon to fill in potholes and the likes. Unless someone out there has a few million burning holes in their pockets it will never get paved. It is the woods. That is part of the ambiance .

Not being a a** at all but if you want paved roads maybe you should stay at the campgrounds at the beach or the mountains. Paving the road in uwharrie would take everything away from the place. Just my .02

Glad it was only your .02 and not .25. Geez! Guess you missed my whole point about breathing dust for two days at a US govt. campground. I love wheeling at URE and don't mind a muddy or dusty trail one bit but it's nice to be able to prepare food and sleep at night without asphyxiating. End of rant!

Last edited:
Around 3 or 4 years back the request for funding was put in to pave the remaining Forest Service roads that are still gravel. But as mentioned above lack of money and other factors such as priorities have delayed the process.

Besides all that's already been mentioned, the logging trucks would have probably left asphalt roads in about as bad shape as they left the gravel roads. Trees leafing out will help with dust in Arrowhead, soon, I'd think.

Trees leafing out will help with dust in Arrowhead, soon, I'd think.

Sounds like he was camping at that upper loop down at Badin Lake. Some of those back right up to the gravel road.

I try to drive slow through those areas on the dirt road to try and not stir up as much dust. especially through the double parking lots. I noticed a lot of guys driving way too fast through there this past weekend.

The access road I'm referring to leads directly into the BL lower loop sites and passes directly adjacent to the upper loop and is gated so seems reasonable that it could be paved from the gate inwards, similar to Arrowhead, no need to pave the entire forest, LOL!

Around 3 or 4 years back the request for funding was put in to pave the remaining Forest Service roads that are still gravel. But as mentioned above lack of money and other factors such as priorities have delayed the process.
Seems reasonable. As I said I'd be glad to pay a higher camping fee if it would help pay for the work. They did something similar up at Lake Holston in Cherokee NF in TN a few years ago, which was a 8 or 9 mile FS road leading to the camping/REC area.

They have to pull teeth to get a raise in prices. They are already losing money in the camping spots.

They will shut down access before they will pave roads...

Guys I've lived here in Eldorado my entire life .I can remember when mullinix rd was gravel !!! I think what's paved now is what were gonna have for many years to come . Funding to pave all the roads would be millions . I enjoy riding the dirt roads ,if pavement was to be put down it would never be the same again ...hell I can find plenty of asphalt to ride on but the dirt roads are becoming a thing of the past . id like to see what dirt roads we have left remain the same . I understand where your coming from about the dust it can be a bitch at times but its just one of them things you learn to deal with . Or you could just come when its raining :D

I'd pay more just to get a water truck to run up and down the service roads once or twice a day on the weekends. That might keep the dust down.

Gonna be nice wheeling down there Saturday with my windows up and A/C on. One thing I do not miss about an old jeep.

I'd pay more just to get a water truck to run up and down the service roads once or twice a day on the weekends. That might keep the dust down.

On a hot summer day w/ the traffic volume at UNF, it would dry up an be dust before the truck hit the other end of the road.

As big as the potholes are, I don't see how you can get up enough speed to make dust. I thought it was like a mini-rubicon just getting to the trails.

Back