Will a 231 t-case bolt up to a T400?

spraypaintman

Will a 231 t-case out of a wrangler bolt up to a turbo 400 out of a chevy? Did Chevy make a drivers side drop t-case to go behind a turbo 400? My buddy is swapping a 350 & 400 into his jeep. Thanks.

Hodie

Yeah, I wasn't sure that it would fit. Did chevy make a drivers drop t-case that will fit behind the 400?

I would think he'll be better served upgrading to something like a 241... With a pretty standard 350, he'll be right at the limit of a 231...

Will a 241 bolt up to a 400 and is it drivers drop? He just needs a strong drivers side drop t-case.

Rich said:
I would think he'll be better served upgrading to something like a 241... With a pretty standard 350, he'll be right at the limit of a 231...

Depends on which 231 he uses, the stock jeep 231, yes thats about the limit, A dodge 231d would hold up fine

If it gets expenisive to get an adapter, look into doing a doubler. Get the low range off something that fits, and then buy or fab an adapter between the two. He might end up needing to extend his wheelbase in the rear...

It's worth the research if nothing else. One of Greg (BigWoody)'s buddies has had that sort of thing machined locally, but there are folks out there that'll sell the adapters for certain applications. Search vendors and tech on pirate and tech here for doublers.

J

I can only speak from my own experience, and a couple of guesses/memories.... I run an LT1 (300hp ish) in front of a TH700R4, and an NP231, no problems to date. At least none related to the transfer case. To address the above about the D version being better... NO, it is the same transfer case with some spline counts a bit different, not enough to say so. Where did my tranny/trans/adapter come from you might ask?? How about an S10 with a 4.3. Yeah, sounds wimpy doesn't it?? Seems to hold up pretty well so far. I THINK that the TH350 will bolt up to the S10's NP231, but not quite positive on that one, just can't quite remember my tranny info at the moment, and all my info is packed for my next move. The S10 NP231 is a drivers drop, and can be beefed as much as any NP231 can be. Call JB Conversions for the good stuff.

Rodney

Rich said:
With a pretty standard 350, he'll be right at the limit of a 231...

I have been running a 350/th350/231 for years, I think i put the V-8 in my 88 YJ back in 1990 and have had no probs, Oh i did blow the slip yoke out a year or so back. now I have the A/A HD SYE........

raceplayhavefun said:
To address the above about the D version being better... NO, it is the same transfer case with some spline counts a bit different, not enough to say so. Rodney

Larger input shaft, larger output shaft, wider chain. Rated for different tourque ratings, Basicly the only thing the same on the is the model number, The dodge version is also labeled as the hd version

raceplayhavefun said:
I can only speak from my own experience, and a couple of guesses/memories.... I run an LT1 (300hp ish) in front of a TH700R4, and an NP231, no problems to date. At least none related to the transfer case. To address the above about the D version being better... NO, it is the same transfer case with some spline counts a bit different, not enough to say so. Where did my tranny/trans/adapter come from you might ask?? How about an S10 with a 4.3. Yeah, sounds wimpy doesn't it?? Seems to hold up pretty well so far. I THINK that the TH350 will bolt up to the S10's NP231, but not quite positive on that one, just can't quite remember my tranny info at the moment, and all my info is packed for my next move. The S10 NP231 is a drivers drop, and can be beefed as much as any NP231 can be. Call JB Conversions for the good stuff.

Rodney

The 241DHD comes with a 1.25" wide chain compaired to a 1" wide chain on the 231. I think the 241 already comes with the slip-yoke eliminated also. ;)

Lee said:
Larger input shaft, larger output shaft, wider chain. Rated for different tourque ratings, Basicly the only thing the same on the is the model number, The dodge version is also labeled as the hd version

Not all Dodge 241's are DHD, some are plain 'ol D...

Ohhhh, gotcha! sorry...

yea ive never seen or heard of a 241 that was factory fixed yoke. there are several SYE kits out there, jb even has a super short kit now. there are fixed yoke dodge 208's, but i dont think thier 241's are FY. im probably wrong though. also if you get a 241 out of an 88-90 IFS Gm 1 ton truck, it should be mated to a TH400 already, all you would need is a good SYE kit

Metto said:
also if you get a 241 out of an 88-90 IFS Gm 1 ton truck, it should be mated to a TH400 already, all you would need is a good SYE kit

Aren't the 1-ton GM trucks the old body style (solid front axle, passenger side drop) until 1991? It thought the 1/2-ton and 3/4-ton pickups switched to the new body style and IFS (driver side drop) in 1988, while the Blazers, Suburbans, and 1-ton pickups maintained the old body style and solid front axle until 1991 - not switching to the new IFS (driver drop) stuff until 1992.

i thought they offered the 1 tons in both body styles? maybe not. but the 3/4 ton trucks would also have a Th400 in those early years, and im sure there is am 89 3/4 ton out there cause i used to have one and it was a 3spd

Back