Why you need a 50-amp plug adapter....

kaiser715

Doing hard time
Camping this week, Tuesday afternoon it was hot, and everybody's a/c was running full tilt. My power went off. Came back on a minute later, and I realized it was my power management box, tripping due to low voltage. It cuts out at 105. I shut off the a/c, then decided to go out and use my adapter on the 50-amp plug-in. Good voltage, so hooked the camper up and turned the a/c back on. No problems after that. I don't know if they brought separate feeds for the 30 and 50 to the panel, or if all the 30's were wired on the same leg (wouldn't be surprised). I should have checked the voltage on the unused leg of the 50 circuit to find out.

Anyway, having the adapter kept me with a/c for the afternoon.

On our trip out west last year, there were two sites we stayed at that 50 amp was our only option for the site we were in. One campground would loan/rent an adapter if you needed it, the other was glad to sell you one out of their store if you needed it.

Random one from Amazon:

Amazon product ASIN B07X44ZYYQ

My little camper is 50 but I bought a 30 just in case. I also have an adapter to plug into 120vac to keep my fridge cold and be able to run a vaccum or whatnot at the house.

Got a 50amp on the driveway side of the house. I plug my 30amp camper in when at home with an adapter, but also have other adapters that split into two 30amp plugs for regular 110 devices like leaf blower, power washer, etc. I use this one so I can get a 110 plug when the camper is plugged in.

Amazon product ASIN B075VT8YZK

Camping this week, Tuesday afternoon it was hot, and everybody's a/c was running full tilt. My power went off. Came back on a minute later, and I realized it was my power management box, tripping due to low voltage. It cuts out at 105. I shut off the a/c, then decided to go out and use my adapter on the 50-amp plug-in. Good voltage, so hooked the camper up and turned the a/c back on. No problems after that. I don't know if they brought separate feeds for the 30 and 50 to the panel, or if all the 30's were wired on the same leg (wouldn't be surprised). I should have checked the voltage on the unused leg of the 50 circuit to find out.

Anyway, having the adapter kept me with a/c for the afternoon.

On our trip out west last year, there were two sites we stayed at that 50 amp was our only option for the site we were in. One campground would loan/rent an adapter if you needed it, the other was glad to sell you one out of their store if you needed it.

Random one from Amazon:

Amazon product ASIN B07X44ZYYQ
Had the same problem last year, never thought of this. If it happens again I'll be prepared, (hopefully have smae results) we suffered for two evenings due to low voltage, I'm sure the campground was so dated and campers draw soo much more now then back in the 70s when lots of campgrounds were built but never updated.

This reminds me.. I have a 50ft chord I need to get rid of (30 amp)
Never plan to worry about camping again (not after my last adventure 🤦🏾‍♂️)

The other thing is a good surge suppressor. Some have voltage level indicators built in.
That is how we knew voltage was low last year, otherwise we would have been running the AC ruining it like everyone else that had theirs running .

IMG_20230728_080751642.jpg
IMG_20230728_080742838.jpg

Back