Why Some Athletes Have Difficulty Getting Regular Jobs

jeepinmatt

..l.
Why Some Athletes Have Difficulty Getting Regular Jobs

1. Chicago Cubs outfielder Andre Dawson on being a role model:
"I wan' all dem kids to do what I do, to look up to me. I wan' all the kids to copulate me."

2. New Orleans Saint RB George Rogers when asked about the upcoming season:
"I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first."

3. And, upon hearing Joe Jacobi of the 'Skin's say:
"I'd run over my own mother to win the Super Bowl,"
Matt Millen of the Raiders said: "To win, I'd run over Joe's Mom, too."

4. Torrin Polk, University of Houstonreceiver, on his coach, John Jenkins:
"He treat us like mens. He let us wear earrings."

5. Football commentator and former player Joe Theismann:
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

6. Senior basketball player at the University of Pittsburgh :
"I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes.."
(Now that is beautiful)

7. Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach:
"You guys line up alphabetically by height."
And, "You guys pair up in groups of three, and then line up in a circle."

8. Boxing promoter Dan Duva on Mike Tyson going to prison:
"Why would anyone expect him to come out smarter? He went to prison for three years, not Princeton .."

9. Stu Grimson, Chicago Blackhawks left wing, explaining why he keeps a color photo of himself above his locker:
"That's so when I forget how to spell my name, I can still find my clothes."

10. Lou Duva, veteran boxing trainer, on the Spartan training regimen of heavyweight Andrew Golota:
"He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning, regardless of what time it is."

11. Chuck Nevitt , North Carolina State basketball player, explaining to Coach Jim Valvano why he appeared nervous at practice:
"My sister's expecting a baby, and I don't know if I'm going to be an uncle or an aunt. (I wonder if his IQ ever hit room temperature in January)

12. Frank Layden , Utah Jazz president, on a former player:
"I asked him, 'Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?'
He said, 'Coach, I don't know and I don't care.''

13. Shelby Metcalf, basketball coach at Texas A&M, recounting what he told a player who received four F's and one D:
"Son, looks to me like you're spending too much time on one subject."

14. In the words of NC State great Charles Shackelford:
"I can go to my left or right, I am amphibious."

And, yes folks, they ride to the bank in a Mercedes...

I remember when they asked Doug Williams of the redskins where he was going after the super bowl win. He said to "Didney World".

Pac Man Jones also said "I likeded da strip club".

Jesse Holley of UNC once said he was "speakless" because his "yell wouldn't come out"

Marvin Austin said they had "arroved" when they reached their destination.

One UNC recruit literally said he wanted to take engineering (not offered there) because "he loved choo-choo trains"

Of course there is Duke alum and current Cleveland Cavalier Kyrie Irving who thinks the earth is flat.

What a waste of a scholarship.

It's funny and all, but I guarantee that more than a few of you hilljacks around here say, "acrossed" or "acrost"

As in, "I laughed so hard at that list, I spit milk acrost the table." Or, "I went acrossed the street."

:flipoff2:

I was at ncsu after shackelford and remember hearing about that. The internet says he died last month.

No surprise. People don't buy tickets to watch some kid take a test.
'
True. But they DO buy tickets to see their team win, and part of winning is having your best players on the field/court. They can't play if they don't get their grades.

Unless they go to UNC, then they just got signed up for the fake classes and got A's in the summer after getting D's and F's during the regular year.

They never, ever lost a key player to grades. And won a ton of games as a result. And are going to see a ton of those wins (and titles) get vacated by the NCAA when the judgement finally comes.

'.

Unless they go to UNC, then they just got signed up for the fake classes and got A's in the summer after getting D's and F's during the regular year.

You don't think EVERY school manipulates the grades?
My oldest daughter had an athletic opportunity ( soccer ) to go to a school on a "scholarship".
The problem was, the school is a Div.3, not allowed athletic scholarships.
The Coach told my wife and her, " we can do whatever we need to".

My Sis went to Wake in the 80's, and worked in the sports medicine department ...... The entire football and basketball teams were dumber than a roomful of 3 year olds.

UNC's only transgression was getting complacent and getting caught!

Matt

No I don't think every school cheats.
That culture is dictatedoing by the coaches.
In the 90s, Clemson was a joke. When I was there athletes used to literally select their grade. I've got some cool stories.

The current regime destroyed that. Coach Swinney said what is given is never appreciated. And if it's given they will get complacent in other areas. That attitude permeates the culture.

I 100% believe that a student should be able to meet the general admissions of a school before they are allowed to play on the team. I don't give a shit how good you are in basketball if you can't get into school based on your academics then you don't deserve to be there. Sure, the Wake Techs of the nation will start to win national championships but at least those kids got into based on their academic ability.

There should be no reason for what we have created in college athletics. There should be more than one path to the NBA/NFL. Not smart enough to go to school but good enough to play. Well take your dumbass to the minor leagues and grind it out. As much as people love basketball it seems like minor league basketball would be a sure fire win.

You don't think EVERY school manipulates the grades?

They 100% do, and drug testing, and recruiting for that matter. The grades themselves might not be physically manipulated, but the classes taken certainly have easier teachers than others. It's been 7 years since I've been directly involved and had friends at every top 25 program, but it's the same story everywhere. Any time anybody wants to find something, all they have to do is look. My little sister finished 4th in the nation this year as a goal keeper, in her high school sophomore season, and is going through her Olympic Development trials right now...she's seeing the same things I did. And this is for girls soccer, not top 25 football. The better you are, the easier the ride.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd love to see a zero tolerance rule. Drugs your gone, you're not keeping up with the academic standards, you're gone. I would have benefitted from that greatly, but top talent is what brings top dollars.

If we are all honest with ourselves, we don't care about grades or attendance, we only want to see our favorite team win. College athletics is a business, in particular the money sports, make no mistake about it. It hides behind the premise of a student athlete but at the end of the day, every decision is made for money. If a new coach doesn't win in 3-4 years ,give or take, they are gone and a new guy is in. Why? Not because grades or class attendance, because they arent selling tickets.

If we are all honest with ourselves, we don't care about grades or attendance, we only want to see our favorite team win. College athletics is a business, in particular the money sports, make no mistake about it. It hides behind the premise of a student athlete but at the end of the day, every decision is made for money. If a new coach doesn't win in 3-4 years ,give or take, they are gone and a new guy is in. Why? Not because grades or class attendance, because they arent selling tickets.

Right...graduation rate is only something coaches use to tell moms of high school students. What they don't tell moms is the majority of those that graduated were the walk ons with 3.5 GPA's in business/engineering/etc...not the hand full of scholarship kids that actually made it to their senior year (probably because they were riding the bench anyway) that graduated with a 2.0 GPA in communications/African studies/liberal arts/etc.

Right...graduation rate is only something coaches use to tell moms of high school students. What they don't tell moms is the majority of those that graduated were the walk ons with 3.5 GPA's in business/engineering/etc...not the hand full of scholarship kids that actually made it to their senior year (probably because they were riding the bench anyway) that graduated with a 2.0 GPA in communications/African studies/liberal arts/etc.

I've seen both sides of this coin. Hell I lived the dark side. I was told, 'You cant be an engineering major. Too many labs that interfere with practice. What do you like to do for fun?' Hunt and fish. 'Ok lets ut you in forestry you can get a nice job walking in the wood all day.' My 2nd degree was my EE. Foresty was my first.

But I've also seen a renaissance there. It takes total commitment. It takes sending a star WR home from the national semi-final for failing a drug test for marijuana. Not an NCAA drug test, an optional school sponsored one. That all 108 took. Then it takes 2 days after losing a national championship game having said star WR stand in front of the team an apologize to 107 others for not being there when he was needed most. Then making that player take daily drug tests for 6 weeks then weekly for the rest of his career and having the results posted in the locker room under a sign says "Last Strike?" It takes that crazy level of accountability. And oddly enough, with that accountability comes commitment.

Grades? Mandatory study hall. Sessions filmed and audio recorded and archived on DVR. Film is beamed directly to the HC office on a dedicated monitor. Its draconian. Its also 97% graduation rates.

I'm not saying ANY program is squeaky clean. I am saying when you have lived the seedy side, its easy to be disenfranchised or even disillusioned that there is no right anymore only shades of wrong. Its only unthinkable if you dont think it. Its only unimaginable if you cant imagine it. Its only unbelievable if you refuse to believe.

But there is a lot of bad out there. No doubt.

Yeah...I was the same way...you don't need accounting/finance/international business majors...they have limited offerings and will interfere with football. Still managed a 3.3 GPA juggling both.

And those optional drug tests are nothing new...I think I had about 25 of them in my 5 years at UT. What is surprising, is for those team tests, how many chances kids get before any true disciplinary action. In my experience, you usually get 2-3 chances before a suspension is levied. Bravo to Dabo if he's cracking down...but I doubt it, this is livelihood, he'll take it as far as he can before people start asking questions too. For the record, I like Dabo, he recruited me.

Mandatory study hall is nothing new either...Western Carolina even has that...it's a joke. And again, that 97% is skewed, how many are walk ons, how many total are there? How many didn't even make it to their senior year? A more accurate depiction is, we recruited 25 freshman, of those 25 freshman, half will leave the program for one reason or another (be it transfer out, disciplinary, or go pro), half of the remaining won't be able to graduate because their 4 year program turned in to a 6 year program (so they could coast and only take 12 hours a semester) and they can't afford to finish and drop out before they're classified as a senior, and then that brings you to the final 6ish (that started with the original 25) that will graduate. And then you have 15-20 walk ons that are included in that graduation rate so you're working with 20-25 seniors again, and one of them has to finish a class at a later date or gets sick of school or whatever...and bingo bango, you're at 96% graduation rate. With more of a 25% graduation rate for scholarship players that started their career at that school.

Last edited:
Mandatory study hall is nothing new either...Western Carolina even has that...it's a joke. And again, that 97% is skewed, how many are walk ons, how many total are there? How many didn't even make it to their senior year? A more accurate depiction is, we recruited 25 freshman, of those 25 freshman, half will leave the program for one reason or another (be it transfer out, disciplinary, or go pro), half of the remaining won't be able to graduate because their 4 year program turned in to a 6 year program (so they could coast and only take 12 hours a semester) and they can't afford to finish and drop out before they're classified as a senior, and then that brings you to the final 6ish (that started with the original 25) that will graduate. And then you have 15-20 walk ons that are included in that graduation rate so you're working with 20-25 seniors again, and one of them has to finish a class at a later date or gets sick of school or whatever...and bingo bango, you're at 96% graduation rate. With more of a 25% graduation rate for scholarship players that started their career at that school.

Between 2009 and 2013 Clemson signed 108 scholarship kids (subsequent classes will not have had a chance to graduate)

9-12 - 11 have Clemson degrees today. 1 Left after his So year to find more playing time
10-24 - 23 have Clemson degrees. 1 was kicked out of school for rape and is currently in jail. Another quit the team his freshman year but his scholarship was honored and he graduated.
11-29 - 25 have Clemson degrees. 1 transferred to Yale and graduated there. 1 was kicked out for failed drug tests. 1 quit school and went home to work construction. 1 was drafted #8 overall. But attended summer classes this pat year and should graduate next May.
12-20 - 18 have Clemson degrees. 1 was kicked out of school and has subsequently graduated from Ole Miss (Chad Kelly). 1 Left early for the NFL
13-23 - 5 Still in school and pursuing their degree and still have eligibility. 1 transferred after his freshman year for PT. 1 Was kicked off the team following an arrest. 16 have their degrees including 2 whop left with eligibility remaining to enter the NFL draft.

I'd put that track record against any school in the country. And I am not talking about athletics. Nationally I think the stat is something like 28% of college students never complete their freshman year.

Happen to have a link to that??? That's not what Google says...

IMG_1440.JPG

@UTfball68 @Ron Are yall trying to answer the question about "why some athletes have difficulty getting regular jobs" by demonstration?

Its apparently because they spend too much time arguing on the internet! :flipoff2:

Back