why shouldnt i get a ford with the 6.0?

4x4fever

going to look at an 04 tomorrow thats a really good price just wondering if im gonna regret it in the long run?

check to see if it is production dated 03 or 04. if it is 03 make the miles are under 100k cause chances are it needs head gaskets. you can tell by looking from under the truck with a flash lite at the seam between the block and the head. if the truck has been run hard and or chipped it will be wet. i have an 05 6.0 production 04 with no major probs so far. no chip and its my wife's car though:lol:

I had an (early)04 6.0.
After 108 days of ownership it had logged 63days in shop. And was one motor #2 and heads had been changed on motor 1 prior to bottom end replacement. When motor 2 EGTs dropped out the bottom I said no more. Me and ford went rounds...

All that said I wouldnt hesitate on a late 04 or 05 6.ohno

But neither are a 7.3 IMHO, wwhich is a close 2nd to a 5.9BT

When the resale value of 03-04 model fords drops down to what I could get out of my 99' model, then I think that is reason enough not to buy one.

I have a friend with an 05' 6.0, he's tried to sell it, but they are hard to get rid of. Nobody wants to buy something that has common problems. He hasn't had any problems out of his, but I wouldn't take the chance on buying one...

been on the dieselstop for awhile and its seems the 6.0 boards are full of people complaining and askin how the hell to fix it and i seen the word regret alot. better start lookin for a 7.3

Might regret going with the 6.0, might not. You can buy a lot of Mojitos for the price of a rebuild!
I don't know what your budget is, but if you meet me in Statesville one Tuesday and we can probably score you a nice '99-02 7.3TD for $10-15K.

ford

I have a few friends and guys that I work with that have the 6.0 and 7.3. None of them have had any major problems like described on here. This doesnt have anything to do with your question but I read an article on the net saying that International dropped the diesel engine program and quit supplying engines for the ford trucks. That article said ford would probably have truoble with supplying parts. But that would be for the brand new trucks I guess.

2000 7.3L. Owned about a year. No major problems. Powerful. Just to give you an idea. Got it for under $15k. 130k private party.

I am a ford man. I had an 05 6.0 PSD..... Lets just say, that I no longet have it. Now, don't get me wrong, it was strong as hell when it was running like it was supposed too. Out of the box it had more power than it's competitors. IMO. I really liked the interior, looks, integrated brake controller, and all of the bells and whistles that ford installed. The fuel milage wasn't the greatest, and it left me stranded 1 too many times. I am currently looking for a 7.3 and I highly suggest that you do the same thing. It's just as nice of a motor as the cummins.

I have an 04 with a 6.0 and 60k miles with no problem's. Had it since new NO chip NO exhaust NO problem. Love the truck plenty of power. Usually pull 2 full size rig's and have pulled 3 Sammi's to Zuharrie on a 32' goose.

PM farmboy. he'll have a little insight!:flipoff2:

on the other hand. they are so cheap *(in comparison to other's) that for the difference in price you could afford to do a lot of preventative maintenance. (head studs, etc)
I agree, good looking, comfortabe truck. Good int, real CC, LB, solid axle...
Buy one with a blown 6.0 and drop in a cummins:huggy:

I would walk away from a 6.0 no ?'s. I've had the opportunity to drive one a time or two. Sweet trucks no doubt, but not reliable enough for me.

Speak up if your reading this Sam.

My neighbor has a 05 or 06 6.0. All I know is that it has been in the shop over 20 times. 2 turbos, head gaskets and so on. He tried the lemon law deal to no avail.

i forgot to include that i didnt need any smartass remarks
Yep, because I said you were answering your own question, that's smartass. If you think before hand you're going to regret it, don't do it or buy it.

Buy a Cummins... We have both a Powerstroke and all around the dodge is a better truck(engine, MANUAL trans only or be ready to do some trans upgrades, brakes). The ford does turn better in a parking lot though. Too many probs to chance the ford, but they all have their + and -. Good luck

PM farmboy. he'll have a little insight!:flipoff2:
on the other hand. they are so cheap *(in comparison to other's) that for the difference in price you could afford to do a lot of preventative maintenance. (head studs, etc)
I agree, good looking, comfortabe truck. Good int, real CC, LB, solid axle...
Buy one with a blown 6.0 and drop in a cummins:huggy:

Or do the above. The ford does look the best

443901926.jpg

I have had this 2003 since April 5 2003 brand new. It is a 6.0 liter with 210,000 miles on it now. It is my third Ford Diesel (1999 F250 7.3, 2001 F350 7.3). It is a good truck. Just this week I replaced the rear main seal, seal between the t-case and tranny, rebuilt the ball joints in the front axle for the first time, replaced the high oil pressure sensor for the injectors and next month plan on replacing the belt. All of the repairs I did to it this week are a result of 200K plus miles and due to normal wear.I plan on getting 400K miles out of this one before I retire it to just pull the Jeeps. Until these last repairs I have not had any major issues. Yes, a lot of little bugs in the beginning. Ford took care of all of them. Dealer in York tried to talk me into a new red 08 while they were doing these last repairs. Drove the 08 and I don't think it has the power 6.0 has. However, he made me a great deal on the 08 straight purchase. I thought for a minute about selling my 03. Dealer looked up the values. I was surprised what the book claims it is worth with 210K miles on it.
I would not be afraid of the 6.0 in the least. However, I recommend you due your due dillegence. Drive the truck for several miles and have a scan run to see if codes exist. Many times failures have occurred and are intermittent and the code is saved but the check engine light does not come on. Check for the obvious oil leaks etc. Be sure and load the truck with a trailer and make sure the turbo is not overboosting and causing a backfire through the intake (if so could be a ditry EGR valve or bad turbo) One is a cheap fix the other not so cheap. Jack up the front end and check the ball joints. Many times these will wear out at 60 to 70K miles in harder use. Be sure the transmission has been serviced each 30K with filter changes. and so on...just my comments on the topic.

Ok, if you want real insight from a Ford 6.0 owner then you got your man.

I love the truck...hate the 6.0. I cant argue that i am not hard on a truck, but some of the problems i have should have been solved from the factory. I have personally (no he said she said bull) blown 2 sets of head gaskets, and warped one set of heads. All covered under warranty mind you, but the down time is what kills you. I do demand a lot of my truck, but its a 1 ton diesel...i got this truck for durability. Also, my brother has an 04' 6.0 that he babys like an infant child and has blown 1 set of head gaskets. I doubt he will have any trouble with it anymore (replaced with ARP studs) but the agrivation is the main thing. My 6.0 runs like a raped ape...when it runs.

Would I buy another 6.0? Probably not. Is it possible to have a good, solid, reliable 6.0? Absolutly! My next truck will have a cummins in it though. Geez i love the interior/ride of my truck though....

My final note....Warranties are amazing.

Back