Which Flexplate.....

2many4x4s

I'm debating the installation of a GM 350 into a 80 cj-7 with tf-999 transmission. Ive priced the engine mounts, but have found no info on the flexplate needed for this. Everything I find tells me this is a direct bolt on to the trans. Is this correct?

Brian......

NO, tf 999 had a Chrysler or AMC bolt pattern depending on what it came out of. If it is a Jeep TF999 then it will have the AMC pattern, a 360 will bolt right up, much cheaper too.

James, The tf-999 came out of a 81 cj-7, I was debating on engines, but should be picking up a 304 next week from another member of this forum. Just trying to see what would be my easiest and cheepest swap.......

thanks for the info...

IF you are building it, the Chevy 350 is way cheaper, if not building it, then the AMC 360 or 304 is the way to go, money wise. If you go with the 350, then look for a turbo 350 tranny out of a Chevy truck, best transfer case would be the 205, but, it does have a sucky gear in it. So many choices!

I believe that when you add the $500-600 cost of an adapter, the $200-400 cost of a conversion Rad, and the $100-200 cost of motor mounts then any advantages of the 350 are lost even if you have to add the supposed higher AMC rebuild cost, which I don't. And these are just some of the things involved in a SBC conversion, I know as I have done a few.
I have been able to have AMC's rebuilt (stock and a little more) for about he same as a SBC. Certianally not $500 -1000 more as some claim.

Back