Which Dual Sport?

Anything I should be skeptical of on a '01 DRZ400 with 1k miles? It seems like it has done a lot of sitting over the years but is suppose to be in perfect shape.

Just found out it's a one owner and they just had it serviced. The carb had to be cleaned, oil change, and a new air filter because the old was "deteriorated". I'm skeptical but chomping at the bit at the same time because it seems like a good deal. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jesse

Finally made a decision and didn't have to completely destroy my tight budget.
ai2.photobucket.com_albums_y20_GimmieBoost_DRZ_2011_07_01_12_02_05_953.jpg

Good decision on the DRZ400 they are bullet proof plenty of power and manageable offroad. That was the first bike i bought many wrecks..... always cranked up and did what it was told.

I sold it and got a lighter 250 bike mainly b/c we rode in the tight woods alot and the 400 does get heavy after an hour of woods riding, but for a dualsport KTM 450 or the DRZ 400 is totally the way to go.

the freedom to jump on a bike ride to the gas station and then ride to a trail is probably the coolest thing still legal in America.

Thanks yall! I'm really happy with this bike so far even though I haven't been able to get it in the woods yet. I think the only thing I'm going to mod on it is armor, manual cam chain tensioner, and a beer rack. If anyone has any leads on some used goodies or wants to ride sometime let me know.

-Jesse

Hey bring it over and ride at my place and I'll pay you to finish my garage door!

I think ya went with a good choice.. The 650's were too big for the trails and a little tall IMO. Im looking at getting a dual sport as well. Which is better, intercooled or air?

I think ya went with a good choice.. The 650's were too big for the trails and a little tall IMO. Im looking at getting a dual sport as well. Which is better, intercooled or air?
Intercooled! That means its got a lotta boost! Watercooled is nice, they squeeze more power out of them. But air cooled is simpler and you don't have to worry about getting a hole in a radiator or something like that.

Great choice with Dr. Z! I sold my '03 last year and it was a fantastic bike. You'll love all the aftermarket farkles that are available for it too! If you haven't already, check out ThumperTalk.com. That place has tons of info on modding the DRZ and the most knowledgable DRZ guys on the interwebs.

I also had a XR650L and I would recommend either of these for rock solid reliability and ease of maintenance. Enjoy your new toy!

Great choice with Dr. Z! I sold my '03 last year and it was a fantastic bike. You'll love all the aftermarket farkles that are available for it too! If you haven't already, check out ThumperTalk.com. That place has tons of info on modding the DRZ and the most knowledgable DRZ guys on the interwebs.
I also had a XR650L and I would recommend either of these for rock solid reliability and ease of maintenance. Enjoy your new toy!

I just ordered their manual cam chain tensioner and case shields. :bounce2:

Anyone down for a NC4x4 dual sport ride?

-Jesse

Here is my new 05 DRZ400 SM -- I just got my license yesterday and Im ready to tear it up (too bad it got cold)

The other pic is my stepson in training

ai217.photobucket.com_albums_cc208_customcruiser71_Motorcycles_55967951_photobucket_86492_.jpg

ai217.photobucket.com_albums_cc208_customcruiser71_Motorcycles_55967951_photobucket_86493_.jpg

I had a WR250r great bike really up to date lots of travel ,fuel injection and would run 90mph plus . only downside was low fuel cap for long rides and 7k price!

Back