Where to buy a receiver extension

GotLime?

I need a 2" x 14"-18" receiver extension.

The prices I have found only are crazy for a relatively simple piece of steel. $50+.

Does anyone know a good place for towing accesories? Online or in the Charlotte area. They're heavy so shipping is expensive.

Thanks,
Chris

Make your own? It's just some 2" and 2.5" square tubing welded together and a couple holes drilled.

What are you going to be towing with it? Keep in mind the amount of leverage this will be putting on your hitch will increase significantly with the ball 18" further out. Will lower your max tongue weight greatly.

Make your own? It's just some 2" and 2.5" square tubing welded together and a couple holes drilled.

What are you going to be towing with it? Keep in mind the amount of leverage this will be putting on your hitch will increase significantly with the ball 18" further out. Will lower your max tongue weight greatly.

I'm not very mechanically inclined. Don't have the skills, space or tools to make my own.

I'm not going to be towing anything. getting back into riding my mountain bike and need my hitch mounted rack to clear a 35" spare.

Pretty sure Tractor Supply has some, but may not be long enough for your needs.

Maybe try Golden Gate Trailers up past Concord? I'm not familiar enough with Charlotte to know where to get them out that way.

Edit, just noticed you are in Mooresville, you are surrounded by trailer supply places :lol:

Extension

Gotlime, it sounds like you want to do the same thing I did with my jeep. My bike rack has a 1 3\4" round tube that comes off the 2" square tube and goes straight up and then make a 90 degree bend which is where the bike mounts are located. What I did was cut the entire 2" square tube off the round tube and then welded a longer 2" square tube so it will clear my tire on the back of my jeep. I also added a gussett that is on the front (towards the bumper) that connects the square tube to the round tube. The gussett is just a triangle shaped piece that adds a little strength.

I would recommend that you just take the whole thing to a machine shop and have them cut the square tube off and add a longer square tube to clear your tire and add a gussett if you need. Have them drill the appropriate hole and you are in business.

Karl

Gotlime, it sounds like you want to do the same thing I did with my jeep. My bike rack has a 1 3\4" round tube that comes off the 2" square tube and goes straight up and then make a 90 degree bend which is where the bike mounts are located. What I did was cut the entire 2" square tube off the round tube and then welded a longer 2" square tube so it will clear my tire on the back of my jeep. I also added a gussett that is on the front (towards the bumper) that connects the square tube to the round tube. The gussett is just a triangle shaped piece that adds a little strength.
I would recommend that you just take the whole thing to a machine shop and have them cut the square tube off and add a longer square tube to clear your tire and add a gussett if you need. Have them drill the appropriate hole and you are in business.
Karl
Yep, one longer tube would be better than the extension, less rattle.

I've got some 2" and 2.5" tube....I can make said extension for you.

Northern Tool has all kinds of hitch stuff also.

Did you try Carolina Hitch in Mooresville?
I have not tried any local places yet. I tried Google and came up with a bunch of stuff that was $80 and $30 shipping which seemed excessive to me. I'll try Northern Tool this weekend.

I don't want to modify the rack because I may use it on other vehicles.

Back