Where is a great place to primitive camp?

4wheelBUM

I have a group of 5-7 trucks with tow rigs going on our first trip to URE in a couple of weekends and we plan on camping. Since we have never been there i thought i would ask where would be a great place to camp (in tents) that is not far from the trails and maybe even do some fishing. (if that is legal with license of course) I know there are several campgrounds there but dont have a clue which one to stay at and dont have any need for camper hook ups. Also would like to know if its ok to build a small fire at night by the camp site. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

Depends if the rigs are legal to drive on the road. If so we like to camp just off the main road. There are some nice sized places off the trails near the parking lots that would work too.

I alwasy primitive camp at random spots right on the side of the trails. We always have a fire too.

most of the trucks in the group are "Barely" tagged. We will have one or two that are not tagged and are only crawlers! So i guess we need to find out where is a good camp ground we can keep our camp and rigs together and hit the trails without getting on main road to clear my question up some. Thanks for the replys.

Could go up by Art Lilley parking and camp in the woods around there. Plenty of room for truck / trailer and to keep an eye on them while camping primitive.

There's no place to water and the trails that I know of. You can camp down by the Uwharrie river and then drive your rigs to the trails as long as they're tagged. However, best place IMO is somewhere off the trails. I prefer Dickey Bell. Hardly anyone camps on that trail, which is why I camp there every time. :)

Could go up by Art Lilley parking and camp in the woods around there. Plenty of room for truck / trailer and to keep an eye on them while camping primitive.

x2 Thats mostly where I like to camp, plenty of rooms and you can find some nice places up in the woods.

thanks for the suggestions guys and keep them coming! not sure yet what we will do. We will have alot of stuff with us in the tow rigs but sounds like all the tent campers like to stay out in the woods. May have to wheel for a while and stumble across a good spot to bring our stuff to set up camp.

Don't wait too long or you will be too late. I would try to get the trail camp just past the parking lot past the double parking lot. Sorry if I confused you, but it will make more sense after you've been there.

i kinda anal about how nasty my tow rig gets out on the dirt roads going into the forest, and how dusty it gets sitting by the roads when we camp, (I don't have much nice stuff so I like to keep it that way) so i usually park my truck and trailer in the outpost parking lot over in the corner out of the way (never had any issues and the County Deputies patrol the lot @ nite) and throw all my camping junk in my trail rig, we usually camp on the top of Kodac Rock so we can watch the festivities!! We always have a fire too!!

Yes, trailside camping is a go. No permit required besides a trail pass to be on the trail that day. Or the yearly one.

Back