Votes: 21 25.3%
  • $30

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • $35 +

Votes: 12 14.5%

• Total voters

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
Lets say we were able to open up the trails for one day during the off-season (Dec-March) what would you be willing pay for access to the trails, automatic entry into a FREE raffle, and other festivities? Keeping in mind this would be a ultra rare opportunity and the money would be used to help with the new trail being opened etc.

I won't get into details yet, but I have been talking with the Forest Service about such an idea. So cast your vote and feel free to post input/feedback. Please be honest with your votes, low balling the poll won't do us any good.:beer:

$20

I'd be willing to pay $20-$30
Sounds like a great idea, keep us updated on how this idea goes with the Forest Service.

the money would be used to help with the new trail being opened etc.

I'm all for "festivities", not sure what the "etc" might be, but I can't see the FS really needing the small amount of money we might raise.

There are actually millions of dollars in the Recreational Trails Program that the FS could/should have applied for over the years and there is something like 8 million in the RTP trust. Granted, UNF did apply for some of those funds last year to use toward the new trail project in 2011 but over the last 5 years much of RTP funds have not even been applied for!

Like I said, I have and will continue to support volunteer efforts to help sustain OHV opportunities in OUR national forests. I also support "festivities" which might increase awareness of need or of opportunities for volunteerism. However, in light of the funding available, I'm not sure I can support a "fund raiser" for UNF.

I'd pony up $20.00 for a Christmas or new years eve run... o o o o or a snow run:bounce2:

A snow run would be AMAZING. I'm anxious for this year's Winter as I love the snow. Now it'll just be that much better since I have a Jeep this year.

I'm with JC.
But I also think its crazy they close during the winter.
If they wanted to limit the impact, why not limit the days during the colder season and not close it.
Cant see a good reason to close the trails.

I am no expert by any means on the Forest Service budget. But what I was told/heard in our 1hr and 1/2 Q&A at the work day yesterday is right now money is very limited. They currently are cut off from spending anything to help "balance the budget". We were told any thing in the form of donations in supplies or of course money would be extremely helpful. Anywhere we can save them money or donate money allows them to spend it else where.

There are grants and other funding out there this is true. But I have no issue paying $30 to ride on say New Years Eve.

I voted for 30 but I'd be willing to pay 30-40 for a day run in late Jan.- any of Feb. I probably wouldnt go on a christmas or new year run since we usually try to make a run either the last weekend or the one before that. Then I usually pull the rig into the shop for a yearly major project (its tradition, two years ago was the one ton swap, last year was the wheelbase shortining, this year will be the 4 link rear project :) ) I'd probably be done by end of January and am usually stuck waiting anxiously for April 1, since we dont make many big runs (overnight to mt city or harlan) during the winter months but URE is only about 1.5 hrs from here so I could easily swing a day run.

Lets use $30 as an example compared to the current $5. Lets say for a nice even number 50 trail passes are sold in a day. At $5 a trail pass they make $250 to go to the forest service. Lets say the same amount are sold during the event at $30 a piece, that is $1,500. $1,500 divided by $250 is 6 days of trail pass sales. Lets just say a week. And I am sure during the week in the Fall/Winter they aren't selling 50 trail passes a day. So in reality its probably 2 weeks worth of trail pass sales.

So we can raise 2 weeks worth of trail pass sales in one day, have a free raffle for people to win some prizes, have some fun in other activities (cook out, etc), all for the cause of keeping our trails open on a day NO ONE (minus Forest Service, and volunteers) are usually allowed on the trails. :beer:

I guess I also have to agree with JC. Personally, I won't pay any more to ride in the winter than at any other time. It has been my opinion that the seasonal closure of the OHV trail system is nothing more than political BS, especially in this climate/area. I am also very much aware of all the sweat, labor, etc. that SFWDA put into the Tellico area only to have it jerked out from under them. I'm more than happy to help out with the workday program, but I won't be at all shocked the next time the FS/government kicks me in the teeth for that effort. That's all...........

I'd show up and give $20 to wheel URE one day during the off season. Since the forest closes in mid December, and lots of folks go on New Years wheeling trips to other places, I figure the end or January or sometime during February would generate the largest turnout. March would be too late, since most folks would just wait another week or two or whatever till the official opening on April 1st. It would need to be advertised WELL in advance to get the best showing. Maybe put up signs at the Outpost, spread the word to all the 4x4 internet sites. I think you could get a couple of hundred rigs. I think 172? rigs showed up at the Toys for Rocks run in Mtn City. 200 x $20 = $4,000.

Would go $20 bucks for a day trip, as Dr Kelly is saying, if you get enough people to come it will be fine, by that time of the year pretty sure the triad meet and greets will have a pretty solid group and we can all make the trip. As of now there are around 8 regulars, and then a few others Im sure would come out for a URE trip. Same with most other groups. Granted the trails will be packed, but its for a purpose.

$20. if i can have a place to stay the night before and get access as early as possible and lead really late them maybe $30

i'd love to do some snow wheeling

With the winter closeing, I dont think you could bribe the Forest Ser. I agree with J.C. and Don. Rodney:shaking::shaking:

Not exactly following this. But the FS has shown interest in possibly doing this. The first question they asked me was, would people pay the $20 or $30 to wheel during the off-season?

There was also an idea (coming from the FS) about opening the trails for dirt berm compaction in March or so. A limited number of people would be allowed to ride the trails to roll back and forth on the dirt berms to compact them before opening season. No extra fee for this, but it would be under Trail Work and not joy riding really.

What about a recovery period?
It's my understanding that the ecologic survey of Tellico OHV revealed that the winter months should be used as recovery for the forest. The lack of forest canopy mixed with rainfall and spinning tires could lead to some serious issues.

What about a recovery period?
It's my understanding that the ecologic survey of Tellico OHV revealed that the winter months should be used as recovery for the forest. The lack of forest canopy, rainfall and spinning tires could lead to some serious issues.

Are we talking the entire closure period, or about one day of wheeling?

If the entire closure period was scrapped then yes there would be serious erosion/damage. The closure period is for 2 reasons:

1.)It avoids further erosion damage during the period of time it would be at its highest. Part of this is from the soil freezing/thawing and rainfall/snow causing more erosion.

2.)It gives the Forest Service time to survey the trails for damage, and do a lot of repairs. This is the period that they have a contractor out working on all the trails.

If you are talking about the one day, it wouldn't be a big issue. Especially if it was coordinated close to the closure in late Dec or Early Jan.

id pay up to $30, id rather be able to camp out and have to be gone the early the next day. but even if not but for a day trip id do it. it kills me waiting for April 1st every year. not only that, it would be helping URE and be a good time with lots of good people. HotDogGuy would probably be there too!
i agree that it would need to be well advertised, like maybe even try to get it on local news, then it would really get some attention and raise some money.
and boy if there was snow on the ground, oh man!

id pony up some money to ride, but lets be honest, "if" there was snow on the ground, it wouldnt take but a couple of passes by vehicles before its all mud again, so it wouldnt really be snow wheeling. but i still like the idea of making a trip that is closer to home, during the URE off season

im down for some snow wheeling!!! would the camp ground be open as well? whats the best times to see snow at URE?

Back