Wheel hitting caliper.

TapouT

Hey guys, just picked up a 2002 Toyota Tacoma base 4x4 for a Daily. I ordered a set of 15x8 Pacer Soft 8’s with 4” backspacing and 31/10.50/15 tires for it. Had them mounted today and the wheels are rubbing up against the caliper, not too bad but still rubbing. Is the backspacing incorrect or?? Factory wheel and tire size is 15x7 with 225/75/15 tires. I don’t want to go the spacer route.

Last edited:
I thought all the 01+ were 16" ...what size were the old rims?

You'll have to go with spacers. Only 15" wheels that fit on a 1st gen taco are oem Toyota's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Just grind a little off of the calipers or brackets where its rubbing. Its no big deal, just grind enough to clear everything. Have done it on multiple vehicles without any issues.

Yep. Did this to a dodge 1500 years ago. I spray painted the caliper black, threw the wheel on and spun it. Took it back off and the paint would tell me where to grind. Repeated this process a handful of times till the wheels spun free with no scraping.

Wheel backspacing doesn't have anything to do with guaranteeing caliper clearance. The wheel spoke geometry around the caliper area can vary between styles of wheels with the exact same backspacing.

I did it on a f-100. Converted rear to (disc) Susan and the calipers hit the stock wheels where the center welded to the rim. Clearanced the rim instead of caliper because he was changing them anyway

Last edited:
I did it on a f-100. Converted rear to Susan and the calipers hit the stock wheels where the center welded to the rim.
She's such a fool. Susan screws up everything.

I did it on a f-100. Converted rear to (disc) Susan and the calipers hit the stock wheels where the center welded to the rim. Clearanced the rim instead of caliper because he was changing them anyway

She did the same thing to mine!

Ground the calipers down on both sides and installed 1/8” wheel spacers so they would actually clear and they did but the truck has a wobble from 40-60mph and all in between :l I’m assuming it’s from the spacers as the wheels balanced out fine but they wouldn’t fit without the spacers. May end up just mounting the 31’s back on the stock wheels and calling it good.

Jack up vehicle and set axles on 4 good jack stands on good solid concrete. Have a helper start motor in 4 wheel drive and gradually increase speed. Notice each wheel for wobble or out of round. I use a wooden stick held against a fender or frame as a gauge to tire. You will also pickup vibrations with stick contacting different stationary points.

Back