Whats the Scoop on the 1999 and newer Grand Cher.?

WhiteYj

Whats the ups and downs in these vehicles? Ive heard brakes wear down too quickly, and thats the most i have heard anyone else got any ups and downs? Thanks

WhiteYj said:
Whats the ups and downs in these vehicles? Ive heard brakes wear down too quickly, and thats the most i have heard anyone else got any ups and downs? Thanks

i've had an 01 now for 2+ years and i love it! i've owned mulitple XJs, and a TJ and this is by far my favorite Jeep. Plenty of power with the V8 and the most comfortable Jeep ever built(i think). As for brakes i have had no problems with mine i've got 57K on original factory rotors and pads, should make it to 60K. Some have had rotor warpage problems, but thats an easy fix. The only problem with the WJs is there is just NOT enough aftermarket support!! hope this helps!

lincoln

WhiteYj said:

Oh God, dont get a Jeep Grand Cherokee, they suck.
:flipoff2: Dusty

Check out www.jeepsunlimited.com also, lots of them on there.

They are great, i got one 6" in the air, 33's and locked in both ends, 1999.

Wife's got an '01. It is definitely the most comfortable Jeep up to the new batch of WK's and Commanders.
We bought it used. I put 70K on it, and have replaced brake pads once. I'm really regular w/ the maintenance on it, also.

The biggest issue we've had was w/ the "hydrolocker" rear LSD contraption. Something happened w/ the oil pump, and the lack of fluid circulation made the diff blow up to the tune of $600.

Little things like the driver side seat warmer not working, and the CD changer punking out keep the frustration level at mild. Mechanically, though, I love the 4.7/auto. We've got the full time 4x4 (with selectable 4-Low) version that I probably wouldn't choose to have again though. Would rather have 2WD for highway, but that's just me.
She gets about 20-22mpg on the highway, and 16mpg in town.

EDIT FOR A BIT OF TRIVIA: This is the vehicle that singlehandedly killed power on an entire street in "somebody's" neighborhood around Archer Lodge

i have a set of 20in rims that would look great on that jeep. pm me

We have an 02 grand cherokee with the 4.0 liter. 96K miles. We had a sensor in the auto tranny go crazy and had to replace the sensor, but otherwise we love that Jeep. My wife even lets me drive it sometimes!!

they have pretty crappy CV front driveshafts (a for real cv, with a rubber boot and all) that like to explode with mild wheeling. and the front axleshafts are a cv joint as well. i think they have unit-bearing hubs too, just seems like a lot of parts tha dont work well with 4 wheeling

the V8's are problematic from what i have heard, the wife has the inline six, we have about a 100k on it now- bought it w/ 30k. I put a electric fan relay on it and have changed the oil, i haven't even had to do the brakes i guess the dealer must have done them. And ours doesn't have CV axles unless i just missed it

my v8 was awesome, put 55k on it with not one issue. the a/c on the other hand took a dump, and the cv axleshafts are garbage, mine were blown up at 80k, but it wasnt a wheeling rig, so i left it.

the 6cyl is great. i redid the brakes on mine about 2.5 years ago, just rotors and pads, the have been stopping the 33's since.. no problems.. I have had the fan relay go out twice on me. Crank position sensor once.. other then that its been great, wheels great and all.... oh yeah the front drive shaft did explode on me once... i went to rustys and bought the $350.00 conversion driveshaft kit for it, which is made by tom woods.. the 6cyl will never have enough balls to break this one!!!

go for an 01 or newer v8. 01+ comes with true CV front driveshaft and also electric/hydraulic cooling fan which is much better than the 99-00s. those had some issues with overheating.

First off 99+ grands are WJ's. If you can find one newer than 2000 you'd be much better off. As with all redesigned vehicle there are bugs that have to be worked out in the first couple years of production.

The 4.7L is really the only motor you should consider. The 4.0 is great for XJ's but sluggish in these. 99-00's had heating/cooling issues but was fixed in later models with an updated cooling system. Also at least 50% of owners have had a problem with the whole blend door thing, I think there was a recall for that.

The NV242 or NV247 that is offered in these things are pretty reliable. The 247 offers full time 4WD but is different than its predecessor 249 because it doesn't use a viscous coupler and is less prone to failure. All in all they are great jeeps, very comfortable, and thanks to Aussie Locker are now able to modify for the trails.

what kinda mpg does the 4.7 get?
I had a 97 zj with the 4.0 and it sucked the gas. My friend had a 5.2 in his and he got about 4 mpg better than I did.

We've got an 00' 4.0/242 tcase...bought it with 70k on it..now has 140k..replaced the electric engine fan...but that's it. Gets 23mpg highway 18 in the city. Best car/suv I've owned in a long time. The 4.0 has plenty of power unless your going to tow something heavy with it, which I think is a bad idea no matter what motor is in it due to the wheelbase.

1stgenxxx said:
what kinda mpg does the 4.7 get?
I had a 97 zj with the 4.0 and it sucked the gas. My friend had a 5.2 in his and he got about 4 mpg better than I did.

Drove up to Blacksburg VA this weekend and logged 18.5 on the way up, and 22.1 on the way back. Average speed was about 70.

Back