What's the hype with the eclipse???

Welding inspector at Newport News shipyard missplaced these. Good for eclipse or playing the blind begar.
15030821791251279010821.jpg

the only thing I have to offer is why cant 'they' make packable welding 'glasses' that one can use in a pinch when offroad? they'd be lighter, wont break as easy store- not ideal, but a great backup
Pack a $2 pair of solar goggles and wear a hat?
You can buy welding sunglasses too....

My eclipse glasses are much darker than my welding helmet. Haven't looked into it.
Eclipse glasses are roughly a #14. If your helmet is for normal MIG its probably 10-12

Yep. Very badass thing happened yesterday!

I took a quick break at work to check it out and used a gold shade #11. I can still see.
That's all my welding hood has come to find out. So I guess I won't be using that one on GMAW on Al....:lol:

I think my eyes got better after looking at it. My boss gave me the day off since he wanted to sit in a stand and see how deer reacted to it. (remember SC deer season is Aug 15-)

I missed this thread since I was already heading out of town for it. My girlfriend and I "nerd out" on stuff like this. She has a friend in Oak Ridge, TN that we went and visited for the weekend then drove southwest to the middle of nowhere to see the eclipse directly under the band on Monday. I think we had ~2:40 worth of total eclipse where we sat. It was really neat. Where we went to was near a park and the cars had plates from all over, furthest north was Ontario and New York, furthest west was Colorado, furthest south was Florida. I purchased some solar binoculars and that made it even neater since they magnified the image 6X. Next time I want to be set up with a decent camera and filters; we were not able to get good pictures of the actual eclipse event on any of our cameras. I did take a 9 minute video during the eclipse to see the dusk/dawn happen.

Since we were directly under the band we noticed quite a few things out of the ordinary: it was bright out until the eclipse but the sun didn't feel "intense" on our skin like normal, just before/after the eclipse you could see ripples of brightness on the ground all around you, the crickets and other insects came out and got loud during the darkest period, etc.

Already planning on the next ones; the ring of fire on 10/14/2023 and the total on 4/8/2024!!!

Just saw that top google searches since Monday have been "eclipse headache", "I looked at the sun", "eclipse eye damage", etc..... guess some folks didn't get that memo.

Back