whats a fair price

Bullardbs

I looked at a 20 foot goose neck with a 2 foot dovetail so its 22 foot deck. It needs tires and all the decking replaced also the paint is rough and has no title. I want a goose neck for my rig really don't need it but it would be nice to have it to tow about anything I would ever need.

So what do you think is a fair price for it

Here are some pics of it

Attachments

• 5Z05U55X23kb3o03l0ba71d795acc1ff91e38.jpg
    5Z05U55X23kb3o03l0ba71d795acc1ff91e38.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 337
  • 5W35P35R13k43m73oaba763a08b17d0931f0a.jpg
    5W35P35R13k43m73oaba763a08b17d0931f0a.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 371
How is the electrical?

Don't forget about brakes.

I'd say it needs to be under $1500 to be worth considering. But the offer price is kinda contingent on what they're asking. If they want $4k, you're probably not going to see eye to eye....

If the frame is structure sound and the axles aren't junk I'd say go for it. I'd check the axles for what they might be rated for by lug wheel pattern and bearing and break shoe sizes, or if your lucky an old stamp or tag. You'll not come close to buying the steel and pay for any labor to build the frame at that price. Redneck trailer supply and a few others can get what ever you need in hard parts. I don't think they retail, could be wrong I've bought through accounts.

What size tires? If 14.5 then pass on it.

It doesn't matter too much if brakes on both axles work, but make sure both axle have brakes.

I bought a 20 foot deckover tag along that was about in the same shape for $900 3-4 years ago but it had three axles nstead of two and two of em were brake axles.Old pic but you get the ideal.
ai59.photobucket.com_albums_g305_1_tonmudder_Misc_20pics_001_1.jpg

Mine are 14.5's and besides a little trouble findin tires for em they're not that big of a deal.Most mobile home places have near new take offs that will sell and those are DOT approved.You can get em on Ebay as well.To each their own but I wouldnt pass on it for that reason alone.

The only way I would buy it is if I had the money to replace both axles, wheels, and tires. Since you live in NC they are much tighter on things like inspections and DOT approved tires. Most 14.5 tires are not DOT approved and for "mobile home use only".

The axle is a mobile home axle and rated at 7000lbs. The problem is the way the wheel is held on is not by normal lugnuts. The tires are super expensive and you can't easily get parts to rebuild the brakes.

I have found tires for about 60 each so not to bad and thats new dot tires. I know the axles are not ideal but thought it may be a cheep trailer that could be upgraded down the road

The only way I would buy it is if I had the money to replace both axles, wheels, and tires. Since you live in NC they are much tighter on things
Cant say about the inspections since Tn dont have em and I havent had to buy any brake parts for mine but they are dexter axles and Northen Tool keeps parts for Dexter axles in stock.
The tires are super expensive and you can't easily get parts to rebuild the brakes.
Define "super expensive"
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...313&_nkw=14.5+tires&_sacat=See-All-Categories

found a all metal 18' bumper pull thats a 2011 for 1500 going to look at it tomorrow but it looks new in the pics so think I will just get it and not have to mess with rebuilding anything

Most 14.5 tires are not DOT approved and for "mobile home use only".
The axle is a mobile home axle and rated at 7000lbs. The problem is the way the wheel is held on is not by normal lugnuts. The tires are super expensive and you can't easily get parts to rebuild the brakes.

Those are not mobile home axles. Those are demountable hubs. The difference is the backing plate. If it's welded on its a mh axle. If it's bolted on like most trailer a regular 12x2 dexter backing plate bolts right on. You can then either keep your hub and rim or you can convert it to a regular hub.

I would consider converting it. Only for accesability of tires. I have no problems getting tires, most tire places can get them. Most don't have them in stock. So if you had an emergency on a Saturday while wheeling you might have an issue. Right now I get mine from the local MH store for $35 each. I dig through their pile for new tires and ones that don't say "For Mobile Home Use Only". It doesn't take me long to find them. For this reason I carry 2 spares. They are also rated at around 2800lbs per tire.

Also they are a pain to make sure they run true. You have to tighten the bolts evenly then jack it put and spin the tire to make sure it doesn't wobble. If it does make some adjustments. Usually take a couple times. I burnt a tire up going to Harlan last year because I had one that wasn't true and didn't realize it. It was bald when I got there.

Also the bearings are a standard timken bearing.

btw I have a trailer with those hubs/tires.

Back