What Your Volunteer Hours Go To

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
I figured some people may not quite know how our volunteer hours help the Forest Service. Yes we come out there and work/clean up trash etc, which that is a big help. But how much we volunteer effects the amount of funding they get. Funding equals trail repairs, NEW trails, etc etc. Here is how it works.

Every Hour you volunteer accounts for x.xx amount of dollars of funding (I won't get into the exact amount). So lets say they get $30,000 worth of grants for trail repairs, new trails, trail reroutes etc. They have to account for all the money with work day hours. Lets say for examples sake they get $5 an hour for every volunteer hour. To cover the $30k, they would need 6k volunteer hours. If they can't cover the grants they get one year, they get less money in the upcoming year.

If they have more volunteer hours than grant money each year, do they get more grant money for the next year?

I'm don't think that has ever been a problem, yet. That's something we could find out.

We are working on getting the volunteer program ramped up and/or increasing participation.

Basically the more volunteer hours we get, the more stuff/support we can get from the FS/government.

Tellico is gone, I'm fairly certain for good. We have this resource right here in our state, the more involved we get, the more support we provide, shows to the FS/USDA/GUBMENT that we want to keep it and that we care about keeping it.

8/21 Should be the next work day. Mark it on your calendar.

Back