What winch for a Trailer??

pikapp691

Will one of the small winches from harbor freight work for a trailer. All I need for it to to do is pull a roller onto a trailer?

Trying to figure out what would work?

I would say a Minimum of a 3K winch. But for the cost, get a cheaper brand that'll pull 8K. OR better yet, get a cheaper or used Warn 8K and have it to where you can mount it on the trailer and on the back or even the front of your rig with a multi mount.

I've got a Warn Works 2500 ATV winch on mine (purchased at Northern). It has no problem pulling rollers up on to my dovetailed trailer. When I've got one with flat tires or in the case of one...No tires, just rims. I will put a snatch block on it and double the line. Runs darnright slow...but will pull what I need up on the trailer.

I did a triple pull to get a 26" diameter, 14' long oak log up on the trailer. It didn't even bog down.

I keep 2 12v 'cell tower' batteries in the cargo box, tied together. I have a 12v "battery keeper" solar panel hooked to them and it keeps them charged (a single pull with the winch does not even move the DVM on the 2 batteries).

I recently pulled a Ford ranger up on my trailer (Ranger tires were actually smaller than my trailer tires) :) with a Warn 1700lb, chained to my trailer tongue. Barely did it...but made it...hardly pulled battery down, still started the truck it came out of when we finished. Don't believe that winch would have pulled anything much bigger at least without a block.

I just got an 8k lb from Harbor Freight -- was on sale $100 off, so was 299, less another 15% with a coupon, so got it pretty decent. Figure it'll be good enough winch for the trailer.

I assume the 2000 pound harbor freight wouldn't be a good idea would it?

I would use it for parts or to pull a project w/ tires onto a trailer.

smittybilt 8k for $300 shipped :)

I agree with the smittybuilt. With everything I've read recently on them, they're slightly better than the standard milemarker at a better price. You can find them easily for $300 & if you look hard, you can find them for about $270.

That Smittybuilt winch sounds good, same price as Harbor Freight if you are worried about the Harbor Freight one.

I've had my Harbor Freight 8k winch on my trailer for several years and over 100 pulls, including double-lined for several scrap vehicles with no axles.

I have kept it covered under a mile-marker soft cover, but it has gotten rained on just a few times.

Just used it yesterday to winch my two old Camaros onto my gooseneck - had not used it in probably 6 months, and it still worked fine.

Wasn't it you that won a ramsey trailer winch on pbb a year or two ago? What happened with that?

Yup that was me :)

I made a box and mounted it on my trailer.

the surprising part is that I have used it a bunch of times..more then I thought I ever would.

All the pics are here:
http://www.impaks.com/trailerbox.asp

trailerbox9.bmp

trailerbox11.bmp

So is it a warn or a ramsey?! :flipoff2:

Just wondering if you already broke it or something

ya oops I was typing to fast :)

all fixed now :)

but yes it is a Ramsey

Back