What tow rating should I look for?

cyoung

The wife and I are camper shopping and thinking about what we need to tow with. If you have a camper between 5,000 and 5,300 pounds, what vehicle tow rating should I look for? Maybe the answer is obvious but we will likely be going up Black Mountain with it and some very steep gravel mountain roads and want to feel as comfortable as possible with the vehicle. 4x4 is definitely needed.
Thanks for the insight from those of you who have done a lot of towing. I have done very little.

I have towed with a 2018 1500 that had 9,400 lb rating without problems locally to KY and TN. Towing that weight shouldn't be a problem with a newer 1/2 ton truck. Weight distribution hitches help with campers that tend to be tongue heavy and sway a bit more due to the high profile. Get as much as you can afford. Towing with a 2500 is so much better than a 1/2 ton. But they are more to operate and cost more. Really depends on the amount you plan on towing.

Any modern half ton will do it, however it will be much better with a 3/4 ton pickup. I do recommend a long bed myself. It will ride better with the longer wheel base, plus you’ll have plenty of bed space.

Are you talking 5k lb "dry weight" camper or 5k as you tow it? Big difference.

I have towed with a 2018 1500 that had 9,400 lb rating without problems locally to KY and TN. Towing that weight shouldn't be a problem with a newer 1/2 ton truck. Weight distribution hitches help with campers that tend to be tongue heavy and sway a bit more due to the high profile. Get as much as you can afford. Towing with a 2500 is so much better than a 1/2 ton. But they are more to operate and cost more. Really depends on the amount you plan on towing.
Wow, what 1500 has a 9400 tow rating? That surprises me...

Are you talking 5k lb "dry weight" camper or 5k as you tow it? Big difference.
Well that is a good question. I'm really looking at 5k camper only at this point. Also, really thinking SUV as I really don't need a truck. I have an old truck but don't want to tow with it. Thanks!

Also, may need to make the tow vehicle a DD and would like something that would get close to 20 mpg and cost in the $15k +/- range. Too much to ask for?

I knew you would time in with the suburban idea.😊😊 and that’s a great idea. But are they going to get close to 20 miles per gallon.
Don’t know if you remember, but you came up here and looked at a 99 suburban I had for sale a number of years ago….
Thank you for your input..

Also, may need to make the tow vehicle a DD and would like something that would get close to 20 mpg and cost in the $15k +/- range. Too much to ask for?

Yes

Why 08 - 13? Is that the 6.0?

08-13 is 6.0 with 6 speed (2500s) but no, you won't get 20 mpg. I'd open that up to include the earlier generation also.

You didn't answer the question about dry weight vs total weight. I have a 24' camper that's dry weight is 4,100lbs. It's GVWR is 7,400lbs. I haven't weighed it on a trip, but with fresh water, battery, propane, and gear we're easily over 5k probably pushing 6k.

I have a 2005 yukon xl 2500 6.0 that handles it great. I also have a 2005 yukon xl 1500 5.3 that managed it but not comfortably. The 5.3 truck does get 18mpg+ as a dd, but not the best tow rig.

@cyoung You want to get 20mpg while towing ? And for 15k$ ? Good luck.
LOL yeah that will never happen but I assume he is talking about a DD that gets 20MPG when not towing. a 5.3 would be the closest to that MPG, It would do ok with most of the towing duty except Fancy Gap or Black mountain, just make sure the cooling system is top notch and tranny is in good condition. But towing he would be lucky to get 8 or 9 MPG.

LOL yeah that will never happen but I assume he is talking about a DD that gets 20MPG when not towing. a 5.3 would be the closest to that MPG, It would do ok with most of the towing duty except Fancy Gap or Black mountain, just make sure the cooling system is top notch and tranny is in good condition. But towing he would be lucky to get 8 or 9 MPG.

That's how I interpreted it, and agree with your assessment of the 5.3. My 2015 sierra got 18-20 in DD duty, and single digits towing my camper. Single digits with a 23 gallon fuel tank sucked. Now I use the 2500 XL which still gets single digits, but holds 38 gallons...

Why 08 - 13? Is that the 6.0?
Yes 6.0/6spd.

The earlier 6.0/4spd and 8.1/4spd are ok but not great and definitely worse pulling capability and worse fuel mileage when not towing.

With the 6.0/6spd I get anywhere from 11-17mpg depending on what I’m pulling and speed. 17mpg empty.

The 8.1 4 spd best I could get was mpg empty and 6-9 mpg towing.

The 7.4/4spd does very well towing and empty, but doesn’t do as well as the 6.0/6spd. Way better fuel consumption than the 8.1/4spd.

The 5.7/4spd is great empty and best fuel mileage but doesn’t like towing over abt 4K lbs.

If only the 8.1 or 7.4 had a six speed option, they would have been wonderful. That said, the 6.0/6spd is by far the best pulling, and better mileage. The 6.0/6spd will pull and pass the 7.4/4spd and 8.1 4spd up fancy gap with loads within 1000lbs of each other.

Fwiw towing with the 6.0/6 I run it in tow haul mode and manual control, 3k rpm’s almost all day and let it eat. 3000-4500 seems to be the sweet spot.

The 8.1 would pull on the floor board but the 4spd limited the capability.

I’ve pulled a lot of hills at 17-25 mph in the 6.0/4spd in 1st/2nd gear with the heat on and 250°. Pulling 7500lbs. Terrible and frustrating.

Flat land is one thing, pulling boats and campers to the beach, but the hills are what changes things greatly.

Last edited:
14 mpg is actually really good for this combo, I'm impressed.
That was at 78mph empty empty, 63° evening, with a tailwind 🤣

All my Mpg is calculated not using the computer thing.

Same truck also got 4/7 mpg to windrock 🤣🤣🤣, but it was the quickest time I’ve ever gotten there. Passed everyone but the gas stations.

Also best mileage with 4.10s empty was with 265’s.

With the 6.0/6 spd empty or towing 245’s are the key.

Be wary of larger tires and killing the mileage due to shifting the rpm range and what speeds to run. It plays a huge role in mileage and towing comfort.

Last edited:
Sorry, been away from the computer for a bit. To answer a couple questions, the weight is now clarified as I bought a camper today with dry weight at 4158 and GVWR at 6347. No, I was not expecting to get 20mpg while towing but would be great for DD to get that. :). I have a 91 f250 Super Cab 4x4 with the 5.8, C6 trans. I think the tow rating is 8k but being as old as it is, even though its in great shape, wasn't sure about black mountain and tight gravel roads. The turning radius on that thing is crazy big! Any further thoughts are appreciated. The 6.0 6 speed is sounding pretty good though.....
Thanks!

I was towing 12k with my 04 2500HD with the 6.0 4 speed auto and very happy with it. I was always towing in the mountains. I saw anywhere from 7.3 to 8.5mpg towing. I once got 14mpg empty going to Holden Beach with the cruise at 72mph. If you can get into a newer 6.0 with the 6 speed you’d be thrilled, but don’t turn down the right deal on the older one with a 4 speed. Your budget is probably gonna put you there.

The beauty of a 6.0 is it’s in so many different platforms, therefore parts can be found anywhere all over the country. Parts and maintenance are quiet affordable. They’re proven to last and get the job done. My old one had 535k miles and the first motor went to 350k
The 4L80 is a good trans, the newer 6L80 is good too. Other than fuel mileage I can’t think of any cons to going with a 6.0 based Suburban or pickup.

My Lexus gx460 was capable of 20mpg highway on stock size tires (typically more like 18-19) and has a tow rating of 6500. You'd probably need to cough up another 5k or so to get into a 2010-2013'ish depending on miles. Its essentially a 4runner chassis with a nice v8 and lots of creature features. I've only towed a samurai and pulled a trailer full of axles, so not really close to topping it out like you would be with your camper. It would be an option for nicer DD with decent mileage and the occasional tow, and I'm sure you'd want to spring for the best weight distributing hitch you can pony up for if you'd be pulling close to max rating.

I had a 2010 F-150 with the max tow package (Platinum edition) that could tow up to 11,000. It might be good look at. I currently have 2017 Ram 1500 that tows up to 8800 pounds which might be too close to your needs. Both Ford and Ram suggested a WDH with a trailer over 5000.

Bill

Thanks everybody; lots of great ideas and comments. After looking at current prices of these vehicles a bit more, I'm a little blown away.
Starting to think more about what I have in the 91 250. It is a 4x4 Super Cab, C6, 5.8. Only 160k original miles and about as clean as any I've seen. I expect back in the 90's this was a pretty well respected tow rig. Not all the modern stuff, crappy single digit mileage towing and a giant turning radius. Other than that, if all is in good working order, esp brakes and trans; any worries pulling 5k - 5.5k in the mountains? Not worried about getting there fast....I'm really only talking a few times a year in reality. I'd like to think more but reality suggest otherwise. Thoughts on the 91?
Thanks!

Thanks everybody; lots of great ideas and comments. After looking at current prices of these vehicles a bit more, I'm a little blown away.
Starting to think more about what I have in the 91 250. It is a 4x4 Super Cab, C6, 5.8. Only 160k original miles and about as clean as any I've seen. I expect back in the 90's this was a pretty well respected tow rig. Not all the modern stuff, crappy single digit mileage towing and a giant turning radius. Other than that, if all is in good working order, esp brakes and trans; any worries pulling 5k - 5.5k in the mountains? Not worried about getting there fast....I'm really only talking a few times a year in reality. I'd like to think more but reality suggest otherwise. Thoughts on the 91?
Thanks!
I'd sign up for Good Sam and use the truck you have...

Back