What to do with bat? (mammal, not baseball)

jeepinmatt

..l.
I was moving/stacking some firewood and ran across this guy.
IMG_1623.jpeg
IMG_1624.jpeg

Not sure if he’s injured, or just cold, and don’t really wanna get bat-bit, but also would like to get him somewhere in his comfort range for the night. Anybody have any wisdom?

Plot twist.
IMG_1625.jpeg

IMG_1626.jpeg
IMG_1627.jpeg

Make that TWO bats.

I will say, they are very soft and docile as you run your fingers across them when going to grab a log in the dark. :rolleyes:

Good news I think. @justjeepin86 ’s post above reminded me I still have a squirrel house (big birdhouse with 3” opening) that has a big old bird nest at the bottom, so I put bat #2 in there. When I went to get bat #1, he had moved on and was nowhere to be found. I assume he used his excellent thermal awareness to relocate to somewhere warmer. Regardless, I’m content with both outcomes.

There may be more. Hell, i counted 27 one night that came out of my bat house. Speaking of bat houses, you should have a couple.
How long did it take the bats to find your houses? I put one up this past spring and it has had no takers as far as I can tell.

Why don't you just put him/them back where you found them? Stack the wood another night.
Edit: Just read your last post
I found the first one once I had already relocated the wood from the original stack to the SXS to the front porch.

How long did it take the bats to find your houses? I put one up this past spring and it has had no takers as far as I can tell.
Well, my story isn't glamorous. The house i bought 5 yrs ago had them in the eves. They had been established for a while. So in the winter when they moved out, i put up new screens and then put a bat house up. They moved in the next spring and have done well. This winter i need to move the box since I mounted it on the house. They make one hell of a mess. Looking for a pole to put it on.

No shit, if you have a bright light in your yard like street light or flood light etc. in the summer/fall bats will fly around the lights eating flying bugs and if you toss pea gravel up to light and shake you hands fast above you head they will dive at rocks and your hands. I know this because when was kid in the 70s we did it. One night we were doing it and a girl had a bat caught in her hair and she ran around screaming and slapping at the bat stuck in her head. I had to slap the bat out of hair.....good times I still remember .

No shit, if you have a bright light in your yard like street light or flood light etc. in the summer/fall bats will fly around the lights eating flying bugs and if you toss pea gravel up to light and shake you hands fast above you head they will dive at rocks and your hands. I know this because when was kid in the 70s we did it. One night we were doing it and a girl had a bat caught in her hair and she ran around screaming and slapping at the bat stuck in her head. I had to slap the bat out of hair.....good times I still remember .
We used to do something g similar where we would grab a bunch of pea gravel off the driveway down by the barn and go under the security lamp, lay flat on our backs, face up and just barely toss the gravel over us and see how low the bats would swoop over our head/ faces lol. Stupid kid things I guess.

I told my wife about it, and she freaked out and started telling me about how dangerous bats are and how they can bit you and you not even feel it and how deadly rabies is and blah blah blah. Then she found a CDC article or something about bats and rabies and I asked her how many people died from this last year, and she said….2. And then started laughing at herself because she realized she was being a bit ridiculous.

I told my wife about it, and she freaked out and started telling me about how dangerous bats are and how they can bit you and you not even feel it and how deadly rabies is and blah blah blah. Then she found a CDC article or something about bats and rabies and I asked her how many people died from this last year, and she said….2. And then started laughing at herself because she realized she was being a bit ridiculous.
But you could have increased that pitiful statistic by 50%

So, The chances of getting bit by, and dying from bats, is very low.... BUT, Never Zero, tell her that and let her freak out some more....

Back