What SUV to buy

ShimShim

OK, I need some advice/experience from you guys. I am looking at buying a midsize SUV to replace the TJ. This is primarily going to be the "family" car since the baby is here now. I've narrowed my choices down to 4:
1. Ford Explorer
2. Chevy Trailblazer
3. Jeep Grand Cherokee
4. Chevy Tahoe (maybe a little older to get into my price range)
I am looking at year models between 2001 and 2003, and I only want to spend between $10K and $12K. I know there are lots of these vehicles out there, so finding one won't be a problem, but I want to know which one is the most reliable, best mileage, most usable interior space, etc. I have heard about various problems with each of these, but I don't know how major/likely these problems are. What I need is your experiences with these vehicles. Tell me what's good and what's bad. I don't want opinions though, don't tell me to buy a chevy because you are a die hard chevy guy. Post up your concrete reasons to buy one or the other and give examples if you can.
Thanks in advance everyone for your help.
Brian

No Toyota? that year 4runner is pretty nice. Not sure if your price range is reasonable for some of these. Out of your choices I would choose the Tahoe. I am a little partial because I had a 2k2 Tahoe in 2k2. They are nice.

Toyots 4-runner or Sequoia, because of the unbeatable Toyota reliability. If you get a 4-runner with the 3.4 V6, you could probably get 16-21 MPG, which is probably better than any of the V8's would get (if you got a V8).

I would get a Jeep GC as the next choice. I don't like Chevy's because the interior seems too cheap, I have never ridden in a Chevy car or truck that had a nice and 'quality' interior. The radio, gauges, everything just seems cheap to me. Plus, lots of the Chevy's have electrical problems, none that are major I don't think, but things such as gas gauges, day running lights come to mind.

newer 4-runners are overpriced in my opinion but they are very nice. I would look into an 04 Grand. Stay away from the newer grands as they are still getting the bugs worked out on them. The 04's are plenty reliable but look for one with a V8 but without the auto climate control unless the blend door has been fixed on it.

I'll try to remember what I typed the first time...:D

We were in a very similiar situation about 2 months ago...we had two TJ's, and with the wife expecting in November, we had to do something. Without really going out and looking, we narrowed it down to three:

1. Grand Cherokee
2. Trailblazer
3. Honda Pilot (last minute addition, after a friend put theirs up for sale)

I have rented quite a few Trailblazers over the last two years, and they're pretty roomy, especially the 7-passenger version we rented to drive to Orlando for a Disney vacation.

I've never really spent much time in a GC, so we decided to head to CarMax so we could test drive quite a few different models.

After sitting in and driving multiple vehicles, it became VERY obvious which one we'd buy...which is why we have a Honda Pilot in the driveway.

Quality wise, like the Toyotas mentioned above, the Honda will run forever. We bought an '05 with 14,500 miles on it...for about $10,000 off the price of one new.

The Trailblazer would've been the second choice, and coming in WAY back in third would be the Grand Cherokee. The older models wouldn't have been too bad, but the new ones are just horrible as far as interior space. I don't know if you've actually gone and sat in or driven any of those, but you ought to.

The Tahoe just doesn't fit with the rest of them, in regards to size and price. If I was to go look at them again, I'd recommend:

1. Honda Pilot
2. Acura MDX (basically same vehicle as the Pilot)
3. Buick Rendezvous

We didn't test drive any of the Toyotas or Nissans, so I can't give any honest feedback on them. But, 10 seconds of sitting in the front and/or second row of a Pilot, and then 10 seconds in a Grand, and there's no way you'd buy the Grand, unless you're 5'7" and about 120 lbs...

I've also never spent much time in the Explorers.

If you do like the Trailblazer, which we found to be a nice vehicle, don't forget to look at the GMC Envoy...

Greg

Why a SUV, and not a car? Gonna wheel it or something?

Subi Outbacks are really roomy, as much if not more than the typical exploder range, just as an example.

The ride is 3x better in a car, mileage is better, resale value will be better, and less maintenance.

They're called lezbarus for a reason. ;)

The ride is 3x better in a car, mileage is better, resale value will be better, and less maintenance.

x2 Only thing you'd be sacraficing is storage space. Just tell the wife to pack fewer shoes on those vacations :D

Heck I say bring back the station wagon... the Family truckster!

"If you're planning on taking the tribe cross country, this is the automobile for you. You think you hate it now, wait 'til you drive it!"

If you do like the Trailblazer, which we found to be a nice vehicle, don't forget to look at the GMC Envoy...
Greg

Or the Isuzu Ascender... which is the same vehicle but the interior is trimmed out better than the Trailblazer, and the Isuzu badging drops the price anywhere from $1500-$3000 depending on who, what, & where.

No Toyota? that year 4runner is pretty nice. Not sure if your price range is reasonable for some of these. Out of your choices I would choose the Tahoe. I am a little partial because I had a 2k2 Tahoe in 2k2. They are nice.
Most Toyotas in the year range I'm looking for are out of my price range. I also just like the look of the four I've narrowed it down to. If I'm going to buy something that expensive, I've got to like it. I also would like to buy American.
newer 4-runners are overpriced in my opinion but they are very nice. I would look into an 04 Grand. Stay away from the newer grands as they are still getting the bugs worked out on them. The 04's are plenty reliable but look for one with a V8 but without the auto climate control unless the blend door has been fixed on it.
The 04 Grand is out of my price range too. I'm not looking for a V8, I want to go with 6 cylinders max. I'll be lowering my monthly payment, but I've got to at least get the gas mileage of the TJ now, but hopefully better.
I have rented quite a few Trailblazers over the last two years, and they're pretty roomy, especially the 7-passenger version we rented to drive to Orlando for a Disney vacation.
I've never really spent much time in a GC, so we decided to head to CarMax so we could test drive quite a few different models.
After sitting in and driving multiple vehicles, it became VERY obvious which one we'd buy...which is why we have a Honda Pilot in the driveway.
Quality wise, like the Toyotas mentioned above, the Honda will run forever.
The Trailblazer would've been the second choice, and coming in WAY back in third would be the Grand Cherokee.
The Tahoe just doesn't fit with the rest of them, in regards to size and price.
Greg
You may have just pulled me away from the Grand Cherokee. Interior room and comfort are definately big considerations right now.
I know the Tahoe doesn't really fit, but I like it, and if I can find one that's in good condition, for the right price, I wouldn't count it out, as long as it's reliable.
Subi Outbacks are really roomy, as much if not more than the typical exploder range, just as an example.
Not gonna wheel it, but I have to have some storage space, not for the wife, but for me. I've got to carry turnout gear for work and the fire department, plus other odds and ends that I may need at some time or another. Part of the joy of being "required" to respond if "the big one" happens anywhere in the county.
i will make you a good deal on an 01 yukon
I saw your Yukon, but the mileage looks a little high for me. I haven't counted it out yet, I'm still just trying to narrow down the choices.
Thanks everyone so far for the responses, just keep them coming. I still haven't heard anything yet about major problems. For example: The Explorers and the Trailblazers get Poor ratings from Consumer Reports for the transmission and drive systems. I want to know if there are any real examples you guys have about problems with these parts.
Thanks
Brian

You may have just pulled me away from the Grand Cherokee. Interior room and comfort are definately big considerations right now.
I know the Tahoe doesn't really fit, but I like it, and if I can find one that's in good condition, for the right price, I wouldn't count it out, as long as it's reliable.

sounds like you haven't driven one...or even sat in one...

a couple hours at a CarMax (or somewhere else) will help you out drastically...

most all of them have some GC's, some Explorers, some Trailblazers and some Pilots...

Greg

Look for a Chev/GMC S-series Blazer/Jimmy. YES, a bit newer than mine...
They'll be just as durable, and if it's just for the street and/or stormy weather stock will do fine. And they'll be a lot less $ than anything else in this laundry list. When I was still looking I saw several for under $5000.

If room is a big issue, consider this: I'm 6' tall and weigh a good bit more than 200 lbs, and I have no problem except getting in and out of the BACK seat. Get a 4-door and that problem's solved too.

Not gonna wheel it, but I have to have some storage space, not for the wife, but for me. I've got to carry turnout gear for work and the fire department, plus other odds and ends that I may need at some time or another. Part of the joy of being "required" to respond if "the big one" happens anywhere in the county.
As for that... I have an Army FOOT LOCKER and a large ammo can full of chains that are usually right behind the back seat, and there's still space for the groceries or stuff from Walmart, too.

We actually sold our Explorer because the motor was coming apart. I could have fixed it, but we were ready to get rid of it anyway. The time and expense of repair wasn't worth it.

It was a 98 or 99. Apparently, the problems with the 4.0L OHC were fixed by the 01 MY.

We bought an 05 Explorer to replace it. They both get 18-21mpg on the hwy, 12-14 in town, and 16-17 mixed.

Interior space on the Exploder is good for a mid-size. Rear seat egress is much better in the Explorer than the Trailblazer, IMHO. The Trailblazer is also much louder at speed. And yeah, GCs feel small inside. Dunno why, exterior wouldn't suggest it.

Thanks again guys for the suggestions. I have a sale pending on the TJ, should be completed tomorrow. I have the rest of the week off, so my next step is do do what Greg suggested. I'm going to spend some time in all of these vehicles and test drive them all this week.
I drove an 03 explorer today, and the ride seemed a little stiff to me, more jarring on the bumps than I expected, but the room inside and the comfort were nice. I'll just have to see.
So I take it that no one has seen any of the dreaded transmission/drivetrain problems that consumer reports would suggest? That makes me a little more comfortable with these choices. We'll just have to see. I'll talk to a couple of mechanics I know and see what they have to say too.

I have the rest of the week off, so my next step is do do what Greg suggested. I'm going to spend some time in all of these vehicles and test drive them all this week.

it'll be time well spent...

we were dead set on buying a new GC, until we sat in it...

hadn't even considered the Pilot, because they look small from the outside...but are very roomy on the inside...

sit in the front seat, and the back seat (the Pilot has a 3rd row, but we usually leave it laid down)...

Greg

Ill agree with Big Waylon on the Pilot. My parents just bought an 06 and I love driving it. Interior room is also great and tons of smart little features. But you said you prefer to buy American...but you also want reliabilty...good luck. jk

buy american, get a toyota!

But really, of the 4 you first mentioned, the trailblazer/envoy/ascender would be my choice.

Buy american, get the pilot! The tahoe is made in canada. Think about this, if the wifey is gonna drive this with the munchkin, it needs to be reliable. Consumer reports gets their info from their subscribers. (real world people in real world situations.) So if a vehicle has a poor reliability rating, figure, it's not a very reliable vehicle and the odds are that it will leave one of you stranded at some point. (Ok for you, not for the wifey.) also consider the resale value on what you are looking at. (Odds are you will get rid of it sometime.) I just saw the new car issue of consumer reports and it has a list of vehicles not to buy used. Top of the list? BMW 7 series. I can vouch for that being a very unreliable car. Just too complicated for it's own good. (drives like a dream though.) I'd go to the news stand and get a copy of consumer reports, and read through it. You'll notice a pattern on how reliable certain brands of vehicles are. Whatever you choose, hope it works for ya' Cough, cough, Pilot, cough cough.

The Pilots look pretty big from the outside. Not Tahoe big but right between the small and large SUV. I could honestly say I would like to get a Pilot. I would have to get a few other vehicles before that one but would want one for long trips.

Spent some time at Carmax today. Drove the Trailblazer, Explorer and the GC. I liked the Trailblazer the best. Most comfortable, great power, smoothest ride. I don't think I'm going to find a Pilot in my price range. The cheapest at Carmax is 18K I think. When I search on yahoo autos and cars.com, I don't get any results within my price range. Remember I'm looking for a car for under $14K. Basically, I don't want to finance more than $10K, $11K is absolute max.

It'll be tough, but I think I can find a trailblazer in good condition within my price range. I have talked to several people, and from the response here, I can't find any pressing issues with the vehicle. The sale of the Jeep will be finalized tomorrow, and I'll be spending the rest of the day looking for cars. I'll find something. I have nothing but time.

Thanks for the help.

Brian

OK, so it's very tough. I couldn't find a Trailblazer that was worth anything in my price range that fit my needs. But, I found an 02 explorer EXT today and picked it up for under $12K. I think it'll work great.

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I'll enjoy this vehicle.

Brian

Back