What SUV to Buy? Under $10,000

had a grand with the 4.7, got 22 on the highway, 16-17 around town. loved that jeep, it was comfortable, and a solid car. only problem i had with it was the air conditioning crapped out at 100k. we just decided to get something bigger, so we sold it. the 4.7 was a sweet motor, but i agree with greg, avoid the full time 4 wheel drive, it is noisy at highway speeds, and more moving parts to service and worry about.

I can't beleive someone is actually putting a jap peice of shit before an american legend, Thats one of the reasons the Jeep is here, Remember your American brothers laying on the bottom of Pearl Harbor every time you turn the key on that piece of shit.

maverick said:
I can't beleive someone is actually putting a jap peice of shit before an american legend, Thats one of the reasons the Jeep is here, Remember your American brothers laying on the bottom of Pearl Harbor every time you turn the key on that piece of shit.

You'd be surprised how many Jap trucks are MADE IN THE USA.
And how many 'domestics' that aren't

maverick said:

Uhhhhh.... yeaaaaaah.....
I seem to have forgotten that Mr. Sakichi Toyoda was piloting one of the bomber planes himself while cursing Americans and that all people who work for his company ever since and ever will want nothing more than total world domination at all costs.

Give me a freakin' break.

if Jeep made a vehicle that was known for the longevity, simplicty and practicality of a Toyota, then i'd drive that instead. End of story.

now, back to the topic at hand...

Yea, sorry. It's a reliability thing...you jeep owners wouldn't understand. And Mav, stop living in the past. The Japs are our friends now. (And their engineering is tons better than ours.)

The wife drives an 02 Grand Cherokee with 96K miles on the 4.0 liter and will drive it for another 96K miles, then, I will buy her another one and I will make it the family trail rig. We did have a sensor go out in the auto transmission and had to replace the sensor, but other than that, it has been good.

Those who forget history will allow it to repeat, as a veteran its not living in the past, Its not forgetting who died there....I'm never amazed @ the thought of soldiers that are forgotten for their sacrifice, those who have nothing to give can not no the cost to those who died. I know its a little off topic but my heritage is not a whore for a better vehicle.....

maverick said:
Those who forget history will allow it to repeat, as a veteran its not living in the past, Its not forgetting who died there....I'm never amazed @ the thought of soldiers that are forgotten for their sacrifice, those who have nothing to give can not no the cost to those who died. I know its a little off topic but my heritage is not a whore for a better vehicle.....

So if this is how you really feel... I suppose every damn thing you own was made in the USA by people who were born here, right? How about your microwave? Your tennis shoes? Your cell phone?
Our country has had soldiers (and non-soldiers) killed by people in/from just about every other country in the world that supplies us with anything, from cars to clothing to your wristwatch. In fact, just try and name a few countries you CAN buy from that don't have US blood affiliated with them somehow.
So if that's yer argument, then good luck not being a whore for... just about anything.

I will gladly boycott any company that is directly fueling an attack/harm on our country and people. But to do so based on something that was 50 years ago and was OTHER PEOPLE is hindering nobody but yourself. A big part iof ths is drawing a distirinction between the person/people drawing the offense, and otehr people who happen to be of the same nationality.

Ratlabguy has very good point. If you don't want to support any other countrys, you better not buy anything...ever. I'll guaranty that EVERY vehicle built now days has parts from all over the world in it. From France, to Germany to Japan to China (Bunches) to the good old U S of A. You are just missing out on a whole bunch of cool cars cause you won't buy anything but domestics. Your loss.... You know, I just got done working on a guys house that served in the air force in WWII. You know what he drives? Just traded his caddy in on a MERCEDES. Says it's ten times the car the caddy ever was. And I'd guess that it probably has Japanese computers in it, and I know it's got french window regulators in it.

There's a difference between living in the past and not forgetting it. You don't forget the past, but you don't make avery living decision pased on it either. Just don't be a product whore! Be a product pimp!:D

Now you boys are getting petty, I'm just trying to make a point, support the american worker as much as possible, I'm sure there is something in my possesion foreign made, but when I make a purchase I put every effort in buying as much American made as possible, an as far as cool cars there's nothing cooler on the market than the ChargerRT, yea you can get cars with the windsheild wipers on the headlights but I'm not in to status symbols, nothing on the planet period can compare to American Iron, Yea theres $250grand sports cars, but they will never carry the prestige of a Carol Shelby GT500, an I agree as stated above, A toyota has wimpy ass thin panels regardless of how much they cost or how many bells an whistles they have they still fill cheap. Oh yea remember the Alamo.................

There are sooooo many foreign cars built in the US by US workers that I think your argument is bunk...Bmw in SC., Mercedes in Alabama , Nissans in Tenn. etc..... the list goes on and on. As for the shelby GT...you can keep it...give me The Mercedes CLR, the biggest problem with true US auto makers is they are just behind the curve of their Japnese and European auto makers technology. We have to wait for them to build it and then steal the tech...funny it used to be the other way around.

Pumping up Jeep for being American yet being owned by Germany after ridiculing the Japanese. Hilarity

When American companies get off the non-creative asses and put the Unions in proper annals of automotive history then they will be able to make better cars. Until there is an obvious reason that market share has been steadily dropping. You are simply denying it.

I'd go with a Samurai.

DK

maverick said:
I'm just trying to make a point, support the american worker as much as possible,QUOTE]
That's why it's a good idea to buy cars that are MADE in the USA (nissan, toyota, mercedes, bmw,........) as opposed to cars made elsewhere buy formerly american owned manufacuters. And toyota makes it's Tacomas in the US, it's a North American Car, the rest of the world gets the Hilux. And i know GKN in Good ole North Carolina makes lots and lots of parts for toyotas.(IFS halfshaft anyone?)
By your argument to not buying foreign cars, you should HATE the Charger, it is made by DAIMLER Chrysler, a GERMAN company. American Iron, HA!!! Wasn't it germans killing our guys in WWII also?
Besides, how many 4x4 guys have Toyotas that were made in Japan, but BUILT in the US by Americans with American made aftermarket parts?
Don't even start on the Soldiers being forgotten stuff, i just got back from Afghanistan, and lost a few good friends. When was the last time you heard anything about how are guys are doing there, and what the gameplan for that war is? ( by the way, we are doing good, and have made huge strides in that area, regardless of what the news reports say)
To the guy that started this thread and wanted Used car buying advice, if you plan on keeping this truck long term, buy what makes the misses happy, otherwise, get a toyota, it'll hold its value much better,(thats why it's $2-3k more than a jeep). Sometimes it just comes down to a good deal on a decent truck at the right time, regardless of make/model.

maverick said:
I rest my case, the degradation of the U.S. is reflected by true americans such as yourself.:(

And the compounding ignorance of those who think with emotion rather than facts sure as hell doesnt help either. If you are judging the level of patriotism of others by the manufacturers they drive at least get some country of orgin facts.

Face it. American owned auto companies simply cannot or will not build the cars that consumers want to buy. It is not the declining patriotism of your fellow Americans but simply the most basic form of economics, supply and demand, at work. And it works very, very well.

Chris_M said:
i just got back from Afghanistan, and lost a few good friends. When was the last time you heard anything about how are guys are doing there, and what the gameplan for that war is? ( by the way, we are doing good, and have made huge strides in that area, regardless of what the news reports say)

Thank you for your service:beer:

Bad news here.........................Possibly getting a mini van
Also thanks for your service :beer::beer: I will have one with yah but I have been out a little while now.
Thought about joining back but normaly that fades pretty quick.

From one G.I. to another, Don't use your millitary experience as a badge of honor to employ your opinion, be proud as a brother, but don,t use it as a tool, rememberance for our comrades, an our falling brothers is all that is asked. Its like ( A jeep thing you wouldn't understand) except ( Their a civilian an they wouldn't understand). Trying to make the American public aware of our sacrifices through the ages is pissing in the wind. And by the way I can respect an enemy that meets you head on, I can not respect one that comes to your country an speaks peace as a diversion to put your brothers on the ocean floor, I don't give a shit how many toyota 's are made in America. Remember the Arizona.....

Back to topic somewhat. If the vehicle has to please your wife too, have you considered a 96-2004 Nissan Pathfinder? You can't break them in stock form and they *finally* have some aftermarket support. I have a buddy with one on 4" lift, 32s, ARB rear, OBA, OBW, long-arm 4-link rear, 4.0:1 crawlers, etc. It can get into and out of some pretty tricky spots but rides smooth as silk on the road. Price shouldn't be too bad.

Back