What SUV to Buy? Under $10,000

JonBoy

First little story, Selling wifes rav4 and getting her something cheaper that will one day be mine. I want something easy to work on and something that wont break down and worthy of putting some bigger tires and lifting one day (no sas) First one is prob not an option other than a 90-95 4runner with a 22re. 90-95 is out of the question fit wise wife doesnt like it but if price is right on 4cy it would be. Second choice is a 96-98 runner, possibly a jeep grand cherokee or durango. Looking under $10,000 mainly just looking at this point. Seen 98 jeep today asking $6,000 didnt seem bad was the 5.2 is this the exact same motor as the durang? I once had a 98 durango.

4Runner, no Q asked.It will outlive anything, will be nice and comfy for her and later will be fun to play with.

Thats what I did, I have a 2000 for sale, it is green and gets about 22 miles to gallon. That is the only reason I bought the 4runner I did. It is pretty nice. Let me know if you are interested. thanks JOHN

It is stock and has Alum headers, K&N and flowmaster.

Just my thoughts but a 4.0 Cherokee is a heck of a lot better motor than the 3.0 in a 4 runner would be. Nice cherokees can be had for cheap, and they have quite a bit more power than any 4 runner, and they are blessed with an aisin tranny that is tough as nails. Find a 97 on up with the 29 spline 8.25 and they can live with up to 35s for the future.

And remember, this is coming from a toyota guy that loves 4 runners;)

I've discussed owning all sorts of vehicles that would be my wife's DD.

FWIW... After she'd driven and ridden in numerous XJs WJs and a couple 4Runners, my wife does not like 4Runners at all. She said they "felt cheap". She doesn't like how "thin and wimpy the doors are". And "Jeeps are more comfortable to be in".

I'm not going to debate which is more reliable or easier to work on, but women are pretty opinionated about cars if you can get the info out of 'em. If you try, you might be able to get out of her exactly what she wants.

I will admit a 4 runner is really nice... mechanically and fuel mileage speaking, but compaired to a wj or xj they do feel kinda cheap.. so for a dd and u want cushy WJ is the way or even a nice 97 - 98 ZJ can be picked up cheap and give you plenty of extra cash for anything u want to put in for the wifey

Feel kinda cheap? What are you guys smoking? Compare fit and finish and QUALITY of anything in/on a 4 runner and a jeep won't hold the gas in the tank. Go for a 4 runner and you won't have to upgrade EVERYTHING when you get it from her.

Yeah, you guys that say 4Runner has thin doors/feels cheap - what models are you talkin' about? 80s, sure, I'd agree - but for thsi kindacash he's gonna be into the 3rd gens or 2nd at oldest.....

However I do agree that women are pretty opinionated, and it's probably up to her anyway... I know w/ my wife, I'd have to let her just sit in one of each and pick the one she "likes". Dosn't matter what kindof research I do, anytechnical stuff - she just has to like it....

2nd gen 4runner is out of the question she didnt like the feel of it. I been looking around at the 99-00 Grand Cherokee online and I am finding quite a few around $8-9K with about 75,000 to 80,000 miles. They seem to be a good 2-3 grand less than the same year 4runner. I was looking at 96-98 4runners where now I can look at 99-00 Grands with 20,000 less miles for same or cheaper price. Im still unsure but it will prob be one or the other. I also add my maxx is about $9000 actualy $10,000 was pushing it. I would consider a pre 99 but it would have to be steal with low miles.

cumminsdzl said:
Just my thoughts but a 4.0 Cherokee is a heck of a lot better motor than the 3.0 in a 4 runner would be. Nice cherokees can be had for cheap, and they have quite a bit more power than any 4 runner, and they are blessed with an aisin tranny that is tough as nails. Find a 97 on up with the 29 spline 8.25 and they can live with up to 35s for the future.

And remember, this is coming from a toyota guy that loves 4 runners;)
I agree the 4.0 is a strong and bullit proof :driver:

There's a reason the jeeps are 2-3k less than same year runners. They're worth 2-3k less. And will depreciate twice as fast. Just remember cheaper price wise is usually cheaper quality wise.

If you get serious about looking at a WJ I would recommned buying one with a 4.0 and the selec -trac (not the full time 4wd garbage). We bought an 00' several years ago with about 75k on it, it now has 140k on it other than routine service we have done NOTHING to it. It's probably one of the best cars/trucks I've owned. It's get around 25 mpg on the highway and around 19 in town. I like the 4runner too, I agree though they do feel cheap and my 6'3" arse can't fit in one worth a damn.

JonBoy said:
"Find a 97 on up with the 29 spline 8.25"
how can I tell a difference? Or do all 97+ have this 8.25

97 and Up could have either a dana 35 or a chrysler 8.25. The easy way to tell the difference is, the diff cover on the 35 is rounded, and diff cover on the 8.25 is octagon shaped, like a stop sign. All 97 and ups that have abs will have a 35, without abs, it could have either. If i had plans of wheeling it down the road, i would most definetly stay away from the "turdy five"

Im gonna second, or third, or fifth the Cherokee XJ. It is one of the best all around vehicles ever, IMHO. 20mpg, quick, light, good components (other than the D35), and can be found for cheap. Ive got a 90 XJ that I have beat and beat for 5 years and all it has given me is an oil leak and routine tire maintenance. As far as depreciation, Cherokees seem to have bottomed out at about 3500 for a high miles model, 5000 for a mid miles model, and 7500+ for low mileage models. Ive been watching for about a year and a half trying to find a low miles model for a mid or low miles price.

All the axle info i posted is only good for a plain cherokee, not a grand. Not sure on the axle situation on the grands, but i believe d35s are more common in them.

cumminsdzl said:
All the axle info i posted is only good for a plain cherokee, not a grand. Not sure on the axle situation on the grands, but i believe d35s are more common in them.

Most 4.0 grands have a 35 the V8's generally have an aluminum housing D44

Back