What have you done to your rig today?

I'm pretty impressed he managed to fit that thing on the trailer.
he came to buy mine from Kentucky then headed to PA to buy one for his buddy. They live in KY so I imagine that rig will be seeing a lot of Harlan. I told him he better send some videos of it on those narly Harlan trails lol

Geared up for a miserable trip to the pick n pull because they had a SD f350. Wind, rain, 36 degrees, expecting to by lying in a puddle of water. Walked up to the truck and saw it was picked clean. Walked to the bed and saw this just sitting pretty. Pulled the cap off of the joint and the grease is clean and everything. Perfect for the XJ :) a tad long but I figured it would be shortened.

9024F631-C6E1-4139-BCF3-2CCFAB16A866.jpeg

Sold my 2002 8.1/Allison 2wd truck, so I could get me a 4wd tow rig. Found one, decent price, bought it. 99 Chevy 3500, 454, 4L80 trans, Dually crewcab, with 6 1/2' bed. Been slowly trying to bring maintenance UTD, and it sure needed it. With 160+K on the clock I don't think other than the engine oil, that it has had any fluid changed. So, I changed them. Trans fluid may have been changed, but not in the last 100+K miles I don't think. We dropped the fluid 4 times(luckily it has a drain hole) cycled, and dropped/repeat, before it had a good red tint to it. The front and rear diffs had never been changed I am pretty sure, rear diff still had the gasket on it and the factory looking lock tite on the cover threads. My friend John had to bring his 110 flux core welder over the weld a nut on two of the cover bolts because the bolt heads had rusted so bad nothing would fit them. Then, had to break out the Ready Welder and my son Josh welded a bolt into the fill plug, just to get it out, again, it was also rusted so a 3/8 drive would not fit tight and tur it out. I replaced the fuill plug with an allen head plug, so will be a lil more simple next time around.
Before any of this took place, when I put it on the lift, I heard a pop. Noticed the axle was a lot lower on the drivers side, broke main leaf in the leaf pack. The U-bolts and U-bolt plates were in bad condition as well. I found a set of springs, U-bolts, and plates, So off to Lexington to pick them up. My Friends Andy and Dave came up and we changed them out. Since the SRW springs that I went to get had five leaves and the Dually truck had six, we just changed out the main leaf. Also changed out both side U-bolts and plates. There was no turning the nuts on the original u-bolts, we just cut them to get the out.
The fluid in the t-case was very nasty as was the front diff. T case was a bit of a PITA, the drain plug was no problem, but the fill plug had very limited space to get a 3/8 drive into it. I have issues with using my arms over my head, so once again I had to bring in my son Josh to hold the rive up there, and peck it in with a hammer. When I got the truck, we noticed it had new ball joints in it. The mechanic wasn't too good I don't think as he installed one of the ball joints so it was turned in. So you couldn't get the grease gun on it. He also noticed this because it was needing grease where as the othe joints took just a couple pumps before they popped out grease. So long story short, had to take off wheel and tire, take off the 36mm spindle nut, and with all the ass I no longer have, I pushed it in and give just enough room to be able to get grease in it. It took a bunch of pumps to get it full.
Fluids all changed, time to move on to something else, which in this case, was getting all the minor rust, but mainly the multiple coats of pant and factory and spraybomb undercoating off the frame. So far, I have got one side done and painted.

Geared up for a miserable trip to the pick n pull because they had a SD f350. Wind, rain, 36 degrees, expecting to by lying in a puddle of water. Walked up to the truck and saw it was picked clean. Walked to the bed and saw this just sitting pretty. Pulled the cap off of the joint and the grease is clean and everything. Perfect for the XJ :) a tad long but I figured it would be shortened.

View attachment 338333
Those SD trucks come with some insanely beefy underbits don't they? :smokin:

Those SD trucks come with some insanely beefy underbits don't they? :smokin:
Shorten it by a few inches and grab a NWF np205 flange and we are good to go! 1350 should be plenty of beef for the rear shaft. Hopefully my 1310 Oliver’s driveshaft is up to the task of front digs :D

well my 4grand spent pretty quickly gathering parts LOL, but it's gonna be worth it!!! Coilovers are on the way, got some 42s, H1 wheels with recentering rings on the way, 09 SD axles picked up, Barnes4wd Heims for Triangulated front and rear 4 link, picked up a 1356 & 1345 for the doubler and some driveshafts...now I'm broke HAHA. exited for this build!!

Does looking at it count? :laughing: haven't touched mine in like 3 weeks

Back