What do I do ?

guffey24

I bought an external locking hub assembly for my 60, from a guy on pirate4x4

he scanned a copy of the receipt, and verified when it shipped, and that it shipped to Hickory, NC

he shipped it through the postal service

used parcel post, didnt get a tracking number on the package, parcel post takes anywhere from 3-9 business days

the package was going from CA to NC, all the way across the US

It was shipped on 1-3-07, and know its 1-23-07

anybody have any ideas on what to do, or does anybody work for the postal service and could help me more than the morons at the Hickory office?

the postal service keeps telling me there is no way to track the item without a tracking number

I do not mean to be an a$$ or disparaging.
But this is the #1 reason not to ship anything that you are at all concerned about by regular parcel post. What they tell you at the PO is true, unless it was sent registered or tracked, there is basically nothing to do. For the $$, it is almost always better to do FedEx.
Again, I know this dosn't help you now.
I once had a similar issue, bought something via eBay, fellow mailed it, never arrived. I took it up w/ teh seller, he wasa stand-up fellow and refunded my $$ after about 2 weeks, which we agreed was long enough to be "lost". It actually showed up 2-3 weeks later, clearly having been around the globe by kangaroo or something. I contacted the guy and offered to help resell/return it (since I had already found my own replacement) but he didn't care by then.

My personal feeling is that unless you specifically requested regular mail for shipping, it is on the seller to ensure the package arrives. If it is lost, it is his financial burden and not yours, b/c it is the result of his choice of shipper. E.g if I was the seller, I'd be damn pissed.
If PO wa your idea - good luck dealing w/ the PO....

If I use the post office to ship anything I always send it priority mail, and always get a tracking number for the person I am sending it too

what pisses me off more than anything is that I have been trying to find this one inparticular part for months

and now look what happens

Plain and simple, there is nothing you can do. If USPS looses your package (unless you purchase insurance), you are SOL, tracking # or not.

UPS covers up to $100 with the purchase of the normal shipping label, but USPS doesn't have this. You (or seller) must purchase insurance for any $$$ to be covered with USPS. No insurance purchases = you are screwed.

I ship USPS all the time to my customers, but I offer insurance to them. If they choose not to get insurance and the item is lost, I cannot do anything.

USPS is good for reasonable flat rate shipping, but for anything else, its just a rip-off (other than Saturday delivery).

Rob

On a positive note, it will probably show up eventually. Occasionally packages get torn up by machinery to the point that the contents are lost or the addresses destroyed and they never make it but more often than not some PO employee just sent it to Timbuktu by mistake and delays it by a month or so.
USPS Retired :)

Also since im sure YOU paid shipping, I would have at least requested a tracking number, its less than $1... And that would have helped you, as a seller/shipper I won't ship USPS without it, as it truly covers both people at least weather it got there or not..

Funny side story - i sold some junk on ebay and had to ship it to a canadian way, way, way up there.... UPS wouldn't touch it.. USPS did it, via the canadia post office, via some air mail service etc.. It got there..... finally... they said 4-6 weeks (and they meant it)

Also since im sure YOU paid shipping, I would have at least requested a tracking number, its less than $1... And that would have helped you, as a seller/shipper I won't ship USPS without it, as it truly covers both people at least weather it got there or not..

Funny side story - i sold some junk on ebay and had to ship it to a canadian way, way, way up there.... UPS wouldn't touch it.. USPS did it, via the canadia post office, via some air mail service etc.. It got there..... finally... they said 4-6 weeks (and they meant it)

The guy gave me a deal and included shipping, I should have requested a tracking number I guess

IMO, that makes this HIS loss. I'd be pressuring to get your money back. Tell him that if it does show, you'll mail it back to him.

Back