Well here goes,(kinda long)

JCMINIS

Been surfing around for awhile,here and elsewhere trying to find myself an offroad only SUV,needed to be 4 doors,as I have 3 kids,looked for a jeep,but was given this montero,which I tried to find a blazer frame or something to set it on but no luck..Since im on the poor side,im gonna try to use it.It smokes and knocks,but everything else is in working order,lol.
1st will try to work out the engine problem,if major I may try to retro fit a small block or something.Im a M/C tech by trade so I shouldnt have much problems with the engine stuff.However I would also like to do a SAS and may need some coaching......

Here's what im starting with.
ai61.photobucket.com_albums_h57_JCMINIS_camerastoragemiscpics007.jpg

Been surfing around for awhile,here and elsewhere trying to find myself an offroad only SUV,needed to be 4 doors,as I have 3 kids,looked for a jeep,but was given this montero,which I tried to find a blazer frame or something to set it on but no luck..Since im on the poor side,im gonna try to use it.It smokes and knocks,but everything else is in working order,lol.
1st will try to work out the engine problem,if major I may try to retro fit a small block or something.Im a M/C tech by trade so I shouldnt have much problems with the engine stuff.However I would also like to do a SAS and may need some coaching......
Here's what im starting with.

Are you wanting it to be strictly for wheeling or is it going to be a dual purpose(Daily Driver - Weekend Wheeler)?

Are you wanting it to be strictly for wheeling or is it going to be a dual purpose(Daily Driver - Weekend Wheeler)?

Strictly offroad,if it came out road worthy/legal great,but not important.I have a towing set up.

sell it..................get a cherokee. ive seen em on craigslist by the dozens, 500-1K dollars and youll have an excellent platform. modding this mitsu thing will end up costing you out the yinyang and youll be hardpressed to find parts for it. thats my .02

Haha I bought a cherokee,my son drives it since his hoopty car gave up the ghost. Plus once I spent some time in the cherokee I realized the interior didnt fit me real well so I gave it to him.Thanks for the tips though.

TapouT,

Thats my plan cheap as possible.I already have a rear 14 bolt,just need to find a front equivalent, so if I can get it running decent im going for it.My pops builds hot rods so I have access to metal fab tools,etc.If I screw it up I will haul it to the scrap yard.lol

JC

steering 14 bolt? :Rockon:

What year is that Montero? I have a '97 that I am modding. If it has the 3.5L engine it will have the massive, 9.5" ring gear diff. Even the 3.0L engined truck came with a 9". I have never heard of someone breaking a big Mitsu rear axle. Not even on 37's. There are factory air lockers available if you can find one in the junk yard. All the wiring will be there for the little pump, switch etc. Plug and play. I just did this.

You can 33's without lift and there's no need to cut the fenders. You may need a little less back spacing if you run a 12.5" wide tire or you could run a 10.5" tires on those stock rims. You will need to crank the front torsion bars a little to level the truck and avoid minor rubbing on the front bumper end cap. A body lift helps too.

You'll be presently surprised at how capable Monteros are off-road. Junk yard parts can be tough to find sometimes, not always. The good thing is you won't need many. If it smokes when cold or after a long idle it will be valve guide seals (common). Is it knocking or ticking? The HLAs in these trucks have a habit of ticking. Oh, and if it does have the 3.5L engine, it's interference and so I'd change the t-belt, unless you don't care if the engine destroys itself.

What year is that Montero? I have a '97 that I am modding. If it has the 3.5L engine it will have the massive, 9.5" ring gear diff. Even the 3.0L engined truck came with a 9". I have never heard of someone breaking a big Mitsu rear axle. Not even on 37's. There are factory air lockers available if you can find one in the junk yard. All the wiring will be there for the little pump, switch etc. Plug and play. I just did this.

You can 33's without lift and there's no need to cut the fenders. You may need a little less back spacing if you run a 12.5" wide tire or you could run a 10.5" tires on those stock rims. You will need to crank the front torsion bars a little to level the truck and avoid minor rubbing on the front bumper end cap. A body lift helps too.

You'll be presently surprised at how capable Monteros are off-road. Junk yard parts can be tough to find sometimes, not always. The good thing is you won't need many. If it smokes when cold or after a long idle it will be valve guide seals (common). Is it knocking or ticking? The HLAs in these trucks have a habit of ticking. Oh, and if it does have the 3.5L engine, it's interference and so I'd change the t-belt, unless you don't care if the engine destroys itself.

had a 92 monte for a long time, it got passed down and me and my bro were was the 4th kids to get it. With the elocker in the rear it did pretty freaking awesome offroad. the only thing we ever broke were steering things (and the shocks and frame and burnt numerous brake rotors), but i loved it. Just be careful case they are really top heavy

had a 92 monte for a long time, it got passed down and me and my bro were was the 4th kids to get it. With the elocker in the rear it did pretty freaking awesome offroad. the only thing we ever broke were steering things (and the shocks and frame and burnt numerous brake rotors), but i loved it. Just be careful case they are really top heavy

Good thinking,im tearing into the engine this weekend hopefully.The image in my head is 35x12.50's,winch,locker, to start,my wife says I dream big.lol
I saw a gen II montero on a trailer in the marion walmart parking lot a few weeks ago with SAS,exo cage,no doors,etc.Cool looking rig,wish i could see it again to try and catch the owner to chat with.
Sure hope the engine is something on the simple side !!!

JC

Well got started yesterday,got down to the plugs but ran out of daylight for comp and leak down.

Sorry about the delay on the thread,I was in a brush fire "accident" and had to be airlifted to the ER where I stayed a week.Against docs orders but started tinkering,im ready to get this thing 4-wheeling !!

JC

Well 369k did it in,lol.

Intake and valve cover off,
ai61.photobucket.com_albums_h57_JCMINIS_pictures127.jpg

And I found the sparkplug gap mashed flat,yeehaw.
pictures128.jpg

pictures130.jpg

It blows chunks of piston out the plug hole when cranked,lol.

I dont want to rebuild this engine with this mileage.Im thinking V8 !!!

Does anyone know the laws concerning engine swapping for a 95 model in NC?
Im leaning towards on road/off road instead of offroad only.

Thanks JC

There's a 94 LS Montero at the pull-a-part in Charlotte. It's been there a little while but the 3.0L might be OK. Cheap too.

A few people have put a 4.3L Vortec in Gen1 SWB Monteros before. Might be an option

love the monteros, almost bought one myself...don't know why they didn't catch on here in the states. very reliable, tons of room inside, and built to take abuse on all continents.
Sucks about the engine, i don't think there are very strict rules about engine swaps in older vehicles....yours being a 95 it doesn't have to go through emission testing anyway. just a visible check of the cat converter and muffler.

he is right, emissions are for 96 and up vehicles, no emissions test required for yours, the cat can even be just a shell, as long as they can see it you are good to go!

Back