welding muffler tubing with Flux core?

ManglerYJ

Most welding shops run MIG welders, but I only have a flux core at the house. Has anyone welded muffler tubing with a flux core welder? If so, do you have any suggestions for heat and speed settings? I know it's not ideal, but is there any reason that I can't use it?

Thanks!

Matt

Most welding shops run MIG welders, but I only have a flux core at the house. Has anyone welded muffler tubing with a flux core welder? If so, do you have any suggestions for heat and speed settings? I know it's not ideal, but is there any reason that I can't use it?
Thanks!
Matt

Either use some scrap that you have left over or buy a little extra to practice with. A flux core mig will work just fine for exhaust. Depending on the thickness of the tube turn the heat down and wire speed up a little. You are not welding for strength factor but to fill the gaps, unless the exhaust is part of your roll cage LOL.

You are not welding for strength factor but to fill the gaps, unless the exhaust is part of your roll cage LOL.

Damn... busted! LOL No, no roll cage, just exhaust for a beater truck. I don't have much cash invested in it so far, and I want to keep it that way, but I want it to sound and run better.

Thanks!

Matt

You'll be fine....I just might not look that great

Make sure you scrape the flux off between stops and starts. Otherwise you can develop leaks from the inclusions. That's all I've really got. The only flux welding I've done on exhaust was with a Horrible Freight MIG 100 crap box. It worked, but it wasn't fun. Now I TIG my exhaust joints when I can.

Well, the good thing with this truck is two-fold. It's a beater truck so I don't care about what it looks like to begin with and it will most likely never see the trail so the odds of it rolling over and someone saying, "Man... that exhaust system looks like crap!" are slim-to-none.

My main concern was whether or not there would be any adverse effects to using flux core (i.e. leaking, burning holes in the exhaust, emmitting noxious fumes and burning a hole in the ozone, causing worldwide flooding and torrential downpours of pigs and other livestock, etc)

If you can weld something with solid core wire, you can weld it with flux core just as easily. Get some practice in first and go to town. With a 110v welder, it's easy.

I have welded several exhaust jobs with my 220v Lincoln ProMig 175 and .035 flux wire. I put it on "B" setting and 3.75 Speed.

hope that helps, mine turn out pretty, most of the time

i welded the exhuast on my first cruiser with a lincoln stick welder because it was all i had then. actually that welder did torching duties back then as well...ah, the "good ol days
"

So call me crazy, but why weld it at all? Mine is held together with clamps and I really like it. It's much better that way because if I want to drop part of the exhaust system for some reason I just have to loosen the clamps and remove it. Clearly that's much harder if you've welded everything together. Am I missing something here?

THank you all for your responses! These are the types of responses I like to see. I get so tired of seeing the same old thing... "You shouldn't use flux core for anything but linking paperclips together" - or - "My brother's girlfriend's sister's uncle had a brother who heard this guy at 31 Flavors say that if you use flux core then baby Jesus cries and Panda Bears in the wilderness die", etc.

This has some real people with real world experience giving real advice, not just blind conjecture or gossip.

So call me crazy, but why weld it at all? Mine is held together with clamps and I really like it. It's much better that way because if I want to drop part of the exhaust system for some reason I just have to loosen the clamps and remove it. Clearly that's much harder if you've welded everything together. Am I missing something here?

Have you ever tried to take apart an exhaust that is clamped on a rig that has seen offroad?

It might as well be welded.

Unless using band clamps if it's clamped tight enough to not leak it dosen't just slide apart. and band clamps for a whole system aren't exaclty budget beater truck friendly....

Simple... Impossible...simply impossible or impossibly simple take your pick. Thanks for the ones who threw out some tangible numbers, that'll get in the ballpark,then tune for best results. Some think we're freakin' dumbass for asking for your advice from experience and others think it's a matter of National Security with a clause of absolutely no important information passed on. I finally just bought an inexpensive flux core, plugged it in, practiced a bit and fixed my exhaust to my satisfaction. The main thing that helped was the trial and error practice and small adjustments until I felt like I was controlling what was happening at the end of the mig gun as apposed to just melting wire and making blobs of it all. Yes it can be done, practice on scrap until comfortable. Clean and set up your desired joint,drop your shield,pull the trigger and give it your best. Don't give up on it because you'll get a successful weld. It took me more tries than I'll admit to, but I got it. Position changes was a obstacle and cramped up spaces too. Nothing you can't overcome, I promise you. Heck, the neighbors 5 and7 year old kids think what I'm doing with this old truck is the coolest thing in the world. I ain't gonna blow it with these two. Cutting stuff up and sticking back together better than before.....Hero status...makes one feel good....

Back