Weighted Tags... again

I'm back again...

Thanks for all the input guys... from all you are telling me, it looks like I need to find something else to worry about. I'm going to continue to run as I am now and it appears that even if do do go over a little bit the penalty isn't worth worrying about.

Many ThanX to all! :beer:

Most of them are not going to pay you any attention as long as you have a weighted tag and are not commercial.

Ditto!

Was pulling the grade into Boone several years ago w/ LoMod & the DMV car pulled along each of us (pretty obvious since I was only going 35MPH :rolleyes:), fiddled with his computer (isn't that a LOT like "texting & driving? :D), and drove away...

Sure looked like he was *only* checking the validity/tagged weight and guesstimated we were both under at the time... The 7.3L NA was such a dog on the hills, I'd already made up my mine that if pulled, I wasn't gonna stop until I'd crested! :flipoff2:

I bought a 3/4ton Sub expressly for skipping the yearly "DMV/Weighted Tag" raping! :lol:

On the SUVs being exempt, I think that's true for just driving around town but as soon as you are towing anything you can get pulled over and "taxed" by the state for the total weight of SUV and trailer. Anybody else heard of this or does the SUV exemption from weighted plates apply to what you are towing as well?

On the SUVs being exempt, I think that's true for just driving around town but as soon as you are towing anything you can get pulled over and "taxed" by the state for the total weight of SUV and trailer.

For a true "SUV" (Sub/Tahoe/Expedition/Excursion) & not "crewcab" trucks, this is incorrect.

Anybody else heard of this or does the SUV exemption from weighted plates apply to what you are towing as well?

You can read all about it HERE (includes references to the applicable NC General Statutes), but the jest is that Trucks are "commodity haulers" = weighted tags and SUV's are "people haulers" = NO weighted tag, even when towing...

Yesterday in Greensboro, I saw a weighted tag on a Subaru Baja :lol:
I had to google it to figure out Baja, here's a wikiphoto...
aupload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_commons_thumb_a_a8_SubaruBaja.jpg_250px_SubaruBaja.jpg

This is what they are looking for. They take the GVW of you tow rig and the GVW of your trailer add the 2 up and thats what you tags are. tow rig GVW 10,000 + trailer GVW 7,000 = 17,000

It's not sticker GVW, it's actual loaded curb weight for the combination.

:beer:

When I tow my trail rig I am about 1000lbs over. Never been stopped so it's never been a problem & I'm not spending the extra money unless it becomes a problem.

weight

Guys it might not be the same all over the state the way the DMV men do things but in Yadkin county they take your actual truck weight from there scales plus what the trailor tag says. example your truck weighs 9,800 and the trailer is rated for 15,000 your weight is 24,800 even if there is nothing on the trailer. the tag I am talking about is gvw tag from the trailer maker.

Guys it might not be the same all over the state the way the DMV men do things but in Yadkin county they take your actual truck weight from there scales plus what the trailor tag says. example your truck weighs 9,800 and the trailer is rated for 15,000 your weight is 24,800 even if there is nothing on the trailer. the tag I am talking about is gvw tag from the trailer maker.

They're idiots & a kindergartner could get out of that ticket...

They'll play hell reading my trailer tag, as it stays in the file cabinet at home! :flipoff2:

You are right on that one. I do a lot of transporting and have been stop by DMV and thats the way they put it to me.

§ 20‑88. Property‑hauling vehicles.

(a) Determination of Weight. – For the purpose of licensing, the weight of self‑propelled property‑carrying vehicles shall be the empty weight and heaviest load to be transported, as declared by the owner or operator; provided, that any determination of weight shall be made only in units of 1,000 pounds or major fraction thereof, weights of over 500 pounds counted as 1,000 and weights of 500 pounds or less disregarded. The declared gross weight of self‑propelled property‑carrying vehicles operated in conjunction with trailers or semitrailers shall include the empty weight of the vehicles to be operated in the combination and the heaviest load to be transported by such combination at any time during the registration period, except that the gross weight of a trailer or semitrailer is not required to be included when the operation is to be in conjunction with a self‑propelled property‑carrying vehicle which is licensed for 6,000 pounds or less gross weight and the gross weight of such combination does not exceed 9,000 pounds, except wreckers as defined under G.S. 20‑4.01(50). Those property‑hauling vehicles registered for 4,000 pounds shall be permitted a tolerance of 500 pounds above the weight permitted under the table of weights and rates appearing in subsection (b) of this section.

Back