Weigh stations -- who has to stop

kaiser715

Doing hard time
I am slowly gathering steam towards my next tow and camping vehicle. I know some classes don't have to stop at weigh stations, i.e. RV's, rentals (as long as not hauling for hire), etc.

Say I get into something like an F550 flatbed or utility bed, or an F650 rollback? (Private use only, not for hire). Did I just enter new territory as far as DOT regs, etc.... even if kept under 26K? Do I stick on a "privately owned/not for hire" sign and blow on by?

Do I cross the line and have to keep logbook/etc, even if private and under CDL? (I do have CDL, but don't want the hassles in my TV).

I am slowly gathering steam towards my next tow and camping vehicle. I know some classes don't have to stop at weigh stations, i.e. RV's, rentals (as long as not hauling for hire), etc.
Say I get into something like an F550 flatbed or utility bed, or an F650 rollback? (Private use only, not for hire). Did I just enter new territory as far as DOT regs, etc.... even if kept under 26K? Do I stick on a "privately owned/not for hire" sign and blow on by?
Do I cross the line and have to keep logbook/etc, even if private and under CDL? (I do have CDL, but don't want the hassles in my TV).

I would not stop. Most likely they won't waste their time with you.

But if I were you I'd call the dot, stop at a scale in my personal vehicle or talk to a tropper (since they are the dmv now) first and see what they say.

as far as i know in nc, as long as you have a non commercial class A license, appropiate weighted tags (trucks only), and aren't pulling for hire you're good to go for whatever.

i would put "not for hire" or "private coach" lettering on anything that looks like it could be a commercial vehicle just to eliminate any confusion/suspicion.

Back